Yamaha CD-S2000 Thread

Bratwurst7s

In The Frying Pan
Subscriber
Now I'm jumping the gun here a bit with starting this thread right now because I only bought the player yesterday and it will be at least a week before it gets here, but I needed something to do while I wait.

I've been using some Denon players the last few years (DCD-1290 & DCD-2700), modded and tweaked them, been enjoying them but have been wanting more. And I decided that whatever I buy needs to be SACD capable, which puts it in a much higher price class than the early to mid '90s units that I have.

So last month I picked up a Yamaha DVD-S2700 for a low price, and it left me quite unsatisfied. Then I bought a Denon DCD-1510AE, paid too much for it, and it is leaving me very unsatisfied. Compared to my modded DCD-2700 they both are lacking in the midrange, lacking in depth and lacking in soundstage.

So then I started looking at Yamaha, first the CD-S1000. Found the SM and looked over how it's built and liked what I saw. But then I downloaded the SM for the CD-S2000 and really liked what I saw. So I decided to buy one.

Now I don't know what the CD-S2000 is going for in the States (and don't want this thread to get moved to D&S) but they are commanding very high prices over here, usually 60%+ of the new price, mostly in silver with black face units going for even more.

But yesterday I found one over in the UK for roughly 40% of their original new price and in black, which is what I want. Lol, it seems that silver face has become popular again but I don't really care for it and silver wouldn't match with the rest of my system. Before buying (ebay BIN) I checked the sellers comment backlog and saw that he was universally praised for good packaging, which we all know is worth a lot.

The seller contacted me, assured me of double boxing with styrofoam and that it will ship the day after tomorrow (Tues 20 Nov).

So now I wait. The damn clock is ticking and it seems to be getting louder.

Cheers,
James

edit: The AK database has a very good quality pdf of the service manual...
http://akdatabase.com/AKview/displayimage.php?album=3&pos=78

Last edited:
I'm very interested in hearing your impressions.
I've been happy with my DVD-S2500 but have had my eye on one of the nicer CDS models for a while.

I had reasonably high expectations with the DVD-S2700. And if I had never heard my modded DCD-2700 I probably would have been happy with it. It has decent DAC's and op-amps. But listening to it I feel that the midrange is somewhat lacking, along with less depth than I'm used to getting with the Denon. The killer for me however is the lack of a physical switch for SACD mode. The only way to switch between modes is to turn on the TV (meaning the player has to be hooked up to it) and entering the on-screen-display setup, navigating to the right menue, and then switching modes. There's just no way that I'm going to be tied to that.

I had higher expectations for the Denon DCD1510AE. But initially it didn't sound as good as the DCD-2700 it's supposed to replace. Granted, I've done some serious improvements to the 2700 but considering the supposed improvements in tech after 10 years I was expecting more. Swapping the 3300µF filter caps in the PSU for 6800µF helped with bass, and swapping the NE5532 Op-amps in the analog output buffer with OPA1612 helped more, but as much as I try I just can't fall in like with that cdp. Perhaps having a very simple analog section with a (1!) single DAC to work both channels contributes to that.

The major difference between the CD-S1000 and S2000 (that I've noted so far) is in the PSU and DACs. The S2000 has a separate torroidal transformer for the analog section. And in that transformer there are separate secondary windings for the left and right channels. From that point on through to the output jacks the analog section is dual-mono. The 2000 has the TOTL Burr Brown PCM1792a DACs where the S1000 has PCM1796 DACs. (My Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card has a PCM1792a dac and I love it's sound paired with LME49720 op-amps)

The S1000 has NE5532 op-amps in the I/V and low-pass-filter sections and LME49723 in the output buffer section. The S2000 apparently has 2 different configs there, with the Japan, British and Europe having Analog Devices OP275 in the I/V section and NE5532 in the LPF and buffer sections, while all other models have all NE5532. I can't begin to say why the differences, but it at least shows that better op-amps than the NE5532 can be used in the analog section. And I'm a big fan of the Ti LME49xxx series. I did swap the NE5532's in my DCD1510AE for OPA1612's and it made an improvement, so they are on the table also. ;)

One thing that I like about both models is the use of Schottky bridge rectifiers (D4SBM20) in the analog PSU. Swapping the stock bridge rectifier diodes with ultra-fast-soft-recovery or Schottky diodes is standard modding (and gives hearable SQ improvements) with older cdp's, so seeing the Schottky rectifiers is great news.

100/120v models of the S2000 have 5600µF main filter caps in the PSU, while the other versions have 4700µF. Both my DCD-1290 and DCD-2700 came with 2200µF filter caps and I found that moving up to 4700µF made a serious improvement in SQ so seeing some caps in this size in the CD-S2000 is nice. Yamaha paid some serious attention to the PSU in the S2000 and along with the complete separation of the rest of the channels probably contributes to the massive channel separation specs. I'm hoping to hear a nice soundstage and depth.

Cheers,
James

Last edited:
That sounds like it's going to be a seriously nice player!

Luckily the 2500 allows switching from CD to SACD using the front panel or the remote. I've never actually had mine hooked to a television set in all the years I've had it.

I am also very interested in hearing your impressions (as is OMGCat!), James. Back when I decided to invest in a CD-S2000, I had a DVD-S1800 but wanted a dedicated CD player for another setup in my home office. I’ve never compared the two but may in the future now that I’ve picked up that Yamaha switching unit pictured in another of my threads.

On a side note, it’s interesting reading about Analog Devices in your post. I just got back last night (to California) from a week at their Limerick facility. They do know how to make leading edge converters.

Cheers,
John

I’ve had a CD-S2000 for several years now and it is a fine sounding and functioning unit. It was only bested by the Oppo UDP-205 which displaced it in my main system.

So a question for samosui and stoutblock.

I notice that the feet are convertible from flat bottom to spikes.

Have either of you used them with the spikes? If so, I'm interested in your thoughts.

I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some spike cups.

Cheers,
James

While I'm in a curious mood, another question for stoutblock:

I did an AK search concerning the CD-S2000 and read your posts about your unit. I saw that you considered replacing the NE5532 op-amps with something better.

Did you ever do that? If so, thoughts/results?

Cheers,
James

... now that I’ve picked up that Yamaha switching unit pictured in another of my threads.

I read that thread. Nice looking unit. I'm looking forward to reading about your use of it. Would be a handy thing to have sometimes but I've always been concerned with having a switching unit in the signal path. Something made by Yamaha however would give me much less cause for concern.

Cheers,
James

While I'm in a curious mood, another question for stoutblock:

I did an AK search concerning the CD-S2000 and read your posts about your unit. I saw that you considered replacing the NE5532 op-amps with something better.

Did you ever do that? If so, thoughts/results?

Cheers,
James

I never did replace the op-amps. I have heard there may be a small improvement but I never messed with it.

On the feet I never used the spikes. They come with pretty nice base posts, the kind with the magnet pads.

Last edited:
I read that thread. Nice looking unit. I'm looking forward to reading about your use of it. Would be a handy thing to have sometimes but I've always been concerned with having a switching unit in the signal path. Something made by Yamaha however would give me much less cause for concern.

Cheers,
James

I hope to make the time to play with the switching unit soon. And it will only be hooked up for comparison purposes as I don’t really have the room to leave it out and connected to various components.

Have only used the CD-S2000 feet in “flat” mode. It’s sitting on one of the metal shelves of my Yamaha rack.

Cheers,
John|

Well, things are developing. I came home from work today and saw a shipment notice from ebay. Cool.

ebay showed a delivery date of 05 Dec to 12 Dec, about what what I would expect from the Royal Post. I have no problems with that, especially considering 15+ kilos and the shipment cost was €24 (which is quite reasonable over here considering that it's coming from the UK).

So I wrote the seller to thank him for keeping his word and shipping exactly when he stated he would.
His reply: "I took the fastest delivery option DPD24, so it should be with you tomorrow"

!!!:)!!!

Dang. That's some pretty good service. I'm pretty excited now.

Cheers,
James

Dual transformers just the way I like my CDP's. One of these days...

This will be my first with separate transformers for digital/analog. I drooled strongly over the late '80s monster players with 2 and more transformers but balked at buying one used because most of those units have KSS-151a lasers and they are unobtainium.

What I find cool with this unit is that not only does it have a separate torroidal transformer for the analog section but that it also has separate secondary windings for left and right channels.

When I was doing my research on the CD-S2000 I came across an interesting review from Australian Hi-Fi, one of the few that actually posted test results.
https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/yamaha-cd-s2000-sa-cd-player-392553

Note the channel separation: 16hz/1khz/20khz = 140db/134db/109db. Pretty damn good and I'm hoping that this translates into a really nice wide and deep sound stage.

Cheers,
James

OK! The player arrived today.

First, the seller kept his word and did a first class job of packing. Plastic foil around the cdp, placed in the inner box surrounded with thick styrofoam, then that box packed in bubble wrap inside an outer box.

DSC06321.jpg DSC06322.jpg DSC06323.JPG DSC06324.jpg DSC06325.jpg DSC06326.jpg DSC06327.jpg

Nice touch about the warm up before use. It's been cold here and that's a pretty good idea.

Cheers,
James

The first photo of the S2000 on my bench came out blurry but it kinda dwarfs my good old Denon DCD-2700. The rest of the pics aren't all that great either. Pretty much everything that looks cosmeticly bad in the pics is a reflection, dust or little piece of styrofoam. There are a few light scuffs etc but I had to look hard to find them. It's in pretty darn good condition.

DSC06328.jpg DSC06329.jpg DSC06330.jpg DSC06331.jpg DSC06332.jpg

Notice the remote? When I was first in contact with the seller I mentioned that I had read and understood his statement that the remote was missing, just so that he knew that there wouldn't be any static from me over that. His reply was cool. He threw in an older Yamaha remote just to be friendly even though the sale was clearly "without remote". Classy touch.

I just took off the side panels and top to let it warm up, air out, and take some photos. Now I'm going to go out front and listen to the Denon DCD-1510AE for one last time. (It's actually been growing on me, been listening to it every day actually. The op-amps are getting burned in and starting to smooth out and the sound is getting better.) After that I'll test the S2000 on my bench with the small system.

Cheers,
James

Some photos, starting with the transformers and power supply.
The main filter caps in this unit are Nichicon (as are all of the caps as far as I can tell at this point) KG Gold Tune 4700µF/50v.

DSC06333.jpg DSC06334.jpg DSC06335.jpg DSC06336.jpg DSC06337.jpg

The filter caps have a dia of 25mm. Spacing front-to-back is about 9mm and spacing L-to-R is about 5mm. So it looks like 30mm dia could be squeezed in.

Cheers,
James

This unit does have the AD OP275 op-amps in the I/V positions. All of the op-amps are surface mount and would be a bit of a challenge to change because of the amount of space to work with. Just sayin'.

DSC06350.jpg DSC06351.jpg DSC06352.jpg DSC06353.jpg

Cheers,
James

So I have now played a cd as a sound check, a burned copy of Dire Straits first album, using my small system (AX-500+Quinto 510). It played flawlessly and sounded very good. Great clarity, very distinct bass, kick drums kicked with authority and no muddiness. Tomorrow I'll close it up and install it in the main system and give it a workout.

This has been one of the most pleasant and trouble free deals that I have done on ebay. The seller has proven to be a man of his word and took some nice steps that he really had no need to do but did anyway without being asked. He goes by the name of "audiokeeper" on ebay UK. No affiliation at all, I just thought that he has earned some mention. One deals with enough negative crap on ebay and it's nice to be able to post about the good transactions sometimes.

Cheers,
James

Back
Top Bottom