Android Phone through Pioneer SX-950. Which input to use other than Aux?

Chef Al

I want to listen to Pandora and my playlist on my samsung android phone with my pioneer and JBLL-1's. My aux input is occupied by my cd player. I can connect to phono 2, (phono 1 connected to my technics SL-1900 with a brand new Nagaoaka MP-110) Is that my best option. Or maybe tape 1? Or the Mic? Any thoughts?

Or if the tape jacks are occupied you can just use the adapter input and turn on the adapter loop switch on the front panel. As stated above though, definitely not phono or mic input.

Do the same with a vintage Kenwood amp.. using the AUX (auxiliary input), and it works great. What works better, is a mixer connected to the same input providing you additional control of the gain and other inputs so you don't have to disconnect plugs to your droid.

Also be careful you don't overload an input circuit.. I smoked a NAD amp using the same technique.. I suppose the line level output from my phone was too high :idea:

Yes - just remember that "phono" does not mean "phone" - lols.

Any microphone input is almost the same situation - the gain on mic and phono is incredibly high - so no active devices should be put into these inputs.

The 950 has a 150mv line level input. You can easily over drive the gain with the phone. Easy on the phone volume and use the 950's volume for the comfort level.
Maybe measure the output level from the phone and set it for the 150mv level. Some guys will buy the Bluetooth stereo receiver and connect it that way. The newer receivers are nice.

I have this one and it works great. Many to choose from.

Last edited:
The 950 has a 150mv line level input. You can easily over drive the gain with the phone. Easy on the phone volume and use the 950's volume for the comfort level.

Yeah--a lot of older gear's input levels can be easily overdriven by the outputs of modern devices. Phones, tablets, computer sound cards, and even some DACs can be on the "hot" side in terms of pairing with older preamp stages. In the absence of the ability to actually measure the output level, what I will do is make a rough guesstimate by comparing the volume level from the device to another source--tuner/tape/CDP, and adjust the volume on the device to achieve a comparable level.

Thank you everyone. So much easier coming here and asking rather than doing a google search. Real expertise. I think I instinctively knew to go easy on the phone volume, (btw, great line slimecity, "phono doe not mean phone"). I think I will go with the tape input and go halfway on the phone vol. I have plenty of records, It's just nice to have pandora run the algorithms for some of the music. Their Johnny Cash station is particularly well balanced .

Yeah--a lot of older gear's input levels can be easily overdriven by the outputs of modern devices. Phones, tablets, computer sound cards, and even some DACs can be on the "hot" side in terms of pairing with older preamp stages. In the absence of the ability to actually measure the output level, what I will do is make a rough guesstimate by comparing the volume level from the device to another source--tuner/tape/CDP, and adjust the volume on the device to achieve a comparable level.
When they say rated at 150mV, they mean that is the level at which the specs were derived (SNR THD etc etc), I have never overdriven a line input (AUX/TAPE/ADAPTER etc), when you heave +4dbu into it, it just means you then do not have to physically turn the volume up very far to reach full power.
150mV is around -12dbu, I have put 0dbu into tape mon and aux inputs with no issue at all, even as much +4dbu which is about 1.2VRMS.
These input stages do not distort when they receive a level over 150mV.....

I have put 0dbu into tape mon and aux inputs with no issue at all, even as much +4dbu which is about 1.2VRMS.
These input stages do not distort when they receive a level over 150mV.....

I totally understand where you are coming from, but I have actually measured and read from manufacturer's spec sheets, output levels being the the 4-5V range. Anything under 2V is generally acceptable--even for older gear, but when you start hitting 4-5V, you are really pushing your luck.

In my experience NO phone has put out the level that a standard CD player does. They are usually quite lower.

Back
Top Bottom