How many joined the Columbia Records Club?

pfcs49

Phil
Subscriber
I’m interested in hearing how many people remember that old club and fell for the introductory offer and how long they stuck around fullfilling your commitments

I joined probably 3 separate times. I would join get my introductory haul wait around two years and cancel. Two years later I'd join again get my introductory haul then repeat my m.o. Cant complain,I think I broke even over the long haul.

I joined a couple of times, both for LPs and CDs.
I still remember the introductory offer when my mom signed us up. I got Edgar Winter's They Only Come Out At Night, my brother got Fresh from Sly and the Family Stone.
My dad's record was the hits of Simon and Garfunkel played by the Boston Pops.

I joined in 63 or 64 one I would’ve been 15 or 16.
I remember To join you got six free records and choose one that you had to pay for then you had to buy one record every month for the rest of the year. It got to be a pretty big drag! It seems like they didn’t put thatThat still sounds sublime many great records up on the monthly offers plus I had to get my mom to write me a check and all that kind of nonsense I need to pay her back. But I still have some pretty cool records from that experience Like some six eye jazz records That still sound sublime

I joined probably 3 separate times. I would join get my introductory haul wait around two years and cancel. Two years later I'd join again get my introductory haul then repeat my m.o. Cant complain,I think I broke even over the long haul.
Ditto!

Guilty as charged. Probably '72. Got some good records, stuck around just long enough to fulfill my minimum requirement.

Here's another similar question. Did anyone ever buy those "loss leader" albums that were advertised on the inner sleeves featuring a bunch of the record company's less-than-successful signed bands? One was called "The Big Ball" and I'm sure if I had the energy I could go find plenty of '70s inner sleeves with the the rest of them. For the "record", I never bought one.

Yet another: who responded to the Grateful Dead's statement on the back of the skull and roses album (unofficially titled Skull F--k) that said something like: "Who are you? Where are you? Let us know" with an address to write to?

I joined in 1964, got 14 free albums at joining. and I stayed until 1980. After you met your obligation, you got one free LP for everyone you bought and many times they would have slightly older titles on sale
for $1.99.

I talked my Mom into joining in 1978.
I was amazed they would give you 12 albums for a penny.
I still remember the dashed outline for a penny you would tape in place on the order form.
I am pretty sure we fulfilled the total commitment. I don’t know how many albums that was...
I do remember in the initial order choosing Kiss double platinum, Kiss destroyer, Styx pieces of eight, Styx grand illusion. That’s all I remember.

I still have those albums today.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember the Columbia Record Club as being very easy to join, but very difficult to er...un-join after you had completed your initial obligation.

Guilty as charged. Probably '72. Got some good records, stuck around just long enough to fulfill my minimum requirement.

Here's another similar question. Did anyone ever buy those "loss leader" albums that were advertised on the inner sleeves featuring a bunch of the record company's less-than-successful signed bands? One was called "The Big Ball" and I'm sure if I had the energy I could go find plenty of '70s inner sleeves with the the rest of them. For the "record", I never bought one.

Yet another: who responded to the Grateful Dead's statement on the back of the skull and roses album (unofficially titled Skull F--k) that said something like: "Who are you? Where are you? Let us know" with an address to write to?

And who replied to the Manfred Mann's Good Earth offer for the rights to a square foot of Wales? I would have loved to do that.

Back
Top Bottom