Simple TV sound setup - questions

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
My inlaws have a nice LG TV and they are getting a bit hard of hearing and often crank it up. I am thinking about getting (or building) a sound bar for them. Power it with one of those inexpensive little chip amps from PE. I have a $10 version that is surprisingly OK. So I think I have the amplification covered.d

Their TV does not have analog audio output. But it has this little square jack that I figured out is Toslink (don't laugh, I live in the past folks :p). So I think I need a DAC of some sort but not fancy. Found this at PE:

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-toslink-and-lr-audio--180-995
HDMI Audio Extractor with Toslink and L&R Audio

$28 for this lil sucker but it looks like would do the job.

Got a ton of drivers sitting around including some nice small ones so I could build a nice wood finished sound bar for $0. I should probably look at ready made ones, maybe they have Toslink input or at least HDMI and I could skip the converter.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

There ara a bunch of inexpensive sound bars out there made for that. While the sound from these new TV's can be OK at best, I would recommend as a minimum one of these small sound bars.

I see some from Sony and Samsung that might do the trick. Just Google best sound bars under $200.

I picked up the Vizion 5.1 soundbar (I'm only using it as 3.1) and it is great.
Well rated, easy to connect, and inexpensive (~$150)

Thanks guys I will check them out.

Actually surprised at how much these darn things cost. Inflation I guess. :D

Depending on the room and inlaw listening habits, it may be about as easy to add a bluetooth wireless speaker (or two) and place it much closer to the listening position. Excellent choice for other members of the household that do not want to hear the TV blasting away in another room. Of course this adds another layer of complexity so it is a terrible idea for someone that would have trouble re-pairing bluetooth devices.

I vote for the plug-in off-the-shelf soundbar rather than a custom build. Simpler is better.

Good luck!

My inlaws have a nice LG TV and they are getting a bit hard of hearing and often crank it up. I am thinking about getting (or building) a sound bar for them. Power it with one of those inexpensive little chip amps from PE. I have a $10 version that is surprisingly OK. So I think I have the amplification covered.d

Their TV does not have analog audio output. But it has this little square jack that I figured out is Toslink (don't laugh, I live in the past folks :p). So I think I need a DAC of some sort but not fancy. Found this at PE:

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-hdmi-audio-extractor-with-toslink-and-lr-audio--180-995
HDMI Audio Extractor with Toslink and L&R Audio

$28 for this lil sucker but it looks like would do the job.

Got a ton of drivers sitting around including some nice small ones so I could build a nice wood finished sound bar for $0. I should probably look at ready made ones, maybe they have Toslink input or at least HDMI and I could skip the converter.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

This is funny, I just ordered one of these the other day, should be here Wednesday.

Never mind...I see your TV has no analog audio outputs. Was going to say.

Another option if the TV set has an analog audio output is one of these shelf stereo systems.

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...0482251.aspx?icmp=Recos_4across_cstmrs_ls_vwd

I have a Bose Bluetooth speaker I have used with my TV, Which can only be used with TV's with analog audio output jacks. It does a good job, But I think either a soundbar or shelf stereo system will be a much better choice for your purpose $ for $.

Looks like a soundbar is your best bet.

I'm wondering how to control the power-on and off on a soundbar. I would like to make it so there are no extra buttons to push because they have enough trouble just running the cable remote. TV's don't have accessory outlets so how do you make it come on when the TV is turned in via remote control? Unless it is just left on all the time which is not my favorite way of doing things.

Hmm, sometimes just because "we" can do something does not mean we should??? The "wheel" has already been invented as it were. :)

No doubt you "can" build this creation ... for your "In Law's" but ... will the actually use it??? If it does not have a "remote control" to adjust the volume ... chances of them using it are most likely pretty low?? And sure you can "add," blue Tooth, ... also so they can control the volume from a tablet or a phone (most likely ...good luck with that??) But the first time it won't connect ...most likely they'd be done with it???

And yep there are "ton's" of Sound Bar's out there at all kinds of price points?? So a pre built unit ... is dirt simple. But still ... I don't know, ....

"I'd" stick with the basics myself and I'd propose this/these as a "viable option.:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Edifier-...11423979a9&registryId=undefined&selected=true

You'd have all the inputs you need and a "remote control!" And you know 30 day's for them to try them out and see it it "works for them??" Just a thought.

Oh and thanks for the link to the Optical Out converter, ... I can use one of those myself! :)

The Polk I referenced has its own remote. The TV or Cable box remote will not operate it.

Sorry.

I was thinking of using variable volume audio output off the TV so that the TV volume control would control the sound bar. That way no extra remotes. Just haven't figured out how to make it come on automatically. I wonder if some of the prebuilt ones have a 12V trigger jack. Would have to see if the TV has one.

The ZVox units let you use your TV remote to turn on/off and volume. If you want to change any other settings you use the zvox remote. Once hooked to the zvox, you turn off the TV volume

[Edit: Crossposted with Hyfi, thank you!]

Aha! It seems a lot of sound bars can learn your TV remote control commands. Presumably, the ON/OFF and VOLUME buttons would do it...

There were 41 of em at Crutchfield that have this feature according to their database.

This is going to be a big reason to buy one instead of building. I have the skills for the cabinet and a bunch of small high quality drivers, but remote control, not so much.

Been looking at the ZVox stuff linked above, very nice and simple to operate and they have some factory refurb units on sale. My only complaint is that neither manuals nor web page have any info on how many or what kind of drivers, amplifier power, frequency response etc. Hard to compare anything that you can't actually hear, but it's even harder without any specs whatsoever.

Going to try this Vizio: SB3621n-E8M. It sounds like it can be controlled with universal remote, so we'll have to see how that works. Hopefully I can get it to come on when the TV does. Worst case, the inlaws will have to punch a couple more buttons on their main remote.

Back
Top Bottom