The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018 Netflix)

Eric H

Addicted Member
This is an Anthology film from the Coen Brothers with six short stories of the old west.

I'm halfway through and am enjoying it immensely.

Being a Coen Bros film of course a lot of strange, interesting, and sometimes violent things happen.

Overall, pretty good. Some disturbing moments (but is IS a Coen Bros Film). Well acted. Lots of pretty famous stars in this one.

I liked "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" and the "All Gold Canyon" segments the best. But, all were very good. Tim Blake Nelson and Stephen Root gave their usual amazing performances.

And this definitely felt like a Coen Brothers film. I love the atmosphere of their movies. So familiar and yet slightly disjointed, and out of sync, to known reality.

Oh, "The Gal Who Got Rattled". :(

Last edited:
Finished it last night. The acting and writing was superb, the Coens are great storytellers.

And Liam Neeson, that was so Un-Schindler like.

worth watching just for the amazing scenery and camera work
Absolutely! Tho there were moments here and there that made me smile, the best laugh was the farce of the first story - Tim Blake Nelson is such an over the top hoot - even after the final gun-play! I wanted that one to go longer!
Waits had a great role as well ... And the story of Alice on the Oregon trail was inspired - (I woulda sworn that the actor who played Billy Knapp was probably Clint Eastwood's son!)
but - some of the stories were just odd quirky things that just ended with an odd flavor -
The bank robbery, The Meal ticket, the Stagecoach folks ...
Not bad for a made for TV movie!
And the scenery - even the minnows over gravel in the stream!

Looking forward to watching this. Good to see Tim Blake Nelson get an opportunity to shine, I thought he was a treasure in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"

I have already watched it twice and it has all of the great elements that are part of a Coen Brothers movie.

Still on the fence about the true "fate" of the stagecoach passengers in the last tale.

I watched the first half on Wednesday - would have watched it all but I hadn't noticed it was available until it had already been way past my bedtime - but loved the first two stories. The "Meal Ticket" was a bit too slow and bleak for my taste - and I'm a huge Coen Bros. fan - but looking forward to finishing up tonight. I had planned to watch it last night, but No Country For Old Men popped up and took precedence.

I think I will have to check this one out. Thanks for the heads up. I am anxiously awaiting the new season of Black Mirror as well. It should be out before the end of the year.

Back
Top Bottom