Marantz Opportunity

HippieAsh69

B8101DB9-DD07-471A-985B-111FFBECCE91.jpeg ADDD4F88-EC7A-4965-ACC0-90EE139ED2E3.jpeg I’ve been looking for a vintage system for quite a long time. I found this Marantz system for sale for $425. Yay or nay? Is it a good deal? I don’t have the model number yet, but I’m waiting for it.

Nay

That’s not vintage, that’s old school.

Vintage has a silver aluminum face with real knobs.

The one you show is maybe worth $50.
Maybe.

324D0EEF-E156-43E8-B9AB-F2B9BBDB546F.jpeg 324D0EEF-E156-43E8-B9AB-F2B9BBDB546F.jpeg I have a Pioneer PL-L800, but I haven’t gotten anything to build from it yet. Would y’all think that the Pioneer TT is a good one to work with? I have looked at two sets of Technics speakers (SB-L55 and SB-L51) and a Technics receiver. So basically this minus the TT. I’d use my Pioneer. This I could get for $200. Thoughts since y’all are nay on the Marantz?

Too much money for all that gear. The Marantz setup is a cheapo rack from the 80's and i agree with the $50 appraisal.

The Technics speakers don't look like anything special and the receiver looks to be a smaller, low wattage unit. That setup would be maybe $80-100 near me.

Your turntable seems to be decent and if working would be fine for the time being.

Too much money for all that gear. The Marantz setup is a cheapo rack from the 80's and i agree with the $50 appraisal.

The Technics speakers don't look like anything special and the receiver looks to be a smaller, low wattage unit. That setup would be maybe $80-100 near me.

Your turntable seems to be decent and if working would be fine for the time being.

Looks like you're specifically set on Marantz, but if you're on a budget at all, know that the Marantz "tax" is pretty steep these days.

Just post up what your budget is
and
what sort of music you like
and
what your amp is

You'll get great recommendations here to fit what you want.

No. No, I’m in no way married to Marantz. That’s why I asked because I thought it was a pretty good system. My preference would be to build a Pioneer system around my Pioneer TT. I don’t have more than about $200-$400 to spend now and that would have to include the amp. I don’t have anything now except my vintage Zenith 1969 console, and a little Crosley all-in-one which I don’t want to risk ruining my albums on. My music is classic 60s-70s, Janis Joplin, Cream, CCR.

I don’t have a set of speakers for my TT which is why I was looking to get something like these.

I hear you. Not to be creepy, but if you post a general location, like when I put Western MA in my profile, members can comb the local Craigslist and link possible solutions for you.

My only gripe with both of those systems is the price. You should be able to do a lot better for your money. In my area $425 gets a really nice receiver and set of speakers.

The PL-L800, if in good working condition, is a nice table with good performance. It can certainly be more than just a "placeholder".

I quickly scanned the DFW CL...there is a set of Boston HD9 speakers for $125. If you could get them for less than $100, they would be a good deal. Of course, speakers are very subjective, but I find the Boston A, HD and CR8/9 speakers to offer good value and an appealing sound. Add a subwoofer later and you might find that you don't need to go any further. Note that you may need to replace foam surrounds on the speakers if they've not been done before. Pretty easy to do, and inexpensive...and something an audio enthusiast on a budget should learn to do anyway!

If you need a means to power them, consider an integrated amp...they are often less than receivers, and unless you listen to FM will do everything you need. There is an Onkyo 8190 on CL, but at $195 it is significantly overpriced. Too bad, because these are pretty good amps. It is a new listing....keep an eye on it. Perhaps if it doesn't sell in a week or two, the seller will take a more reasonable price for it.

Hi Ash,

Welcome aboard new member :)
I agree, I would pass on that Marantz setup for that cost.
You have to watch out for old speakers because the surrounds rot out, esp if they are foam types.
Nothing really wrong with the Zenith console if it works and sounds okay, some people prefer tube amps.
I understand that you want a good TT setup with a good cartridge, so that it does not wear out your records so fast., good luck keep looking.

HA69, happy holidays. Besides the Pioneer table, have you scored any gear?

If not, one strategy might be to find a repair shop in your area that sells used gear. His/her prices will be higher because the gear has been at least checked and cleaned (if he/she is reputable).

Even if you don’t want to buy you can get some ideas of the type of gear you like the look of, and mayby he will play it so you can hear it as well. Also, you can decide if they are a place you would like to take your gear for repair, if that comes up at some point.

“Vintage” gear is seeing increasing prices, and the V word is being overused quite a bit. I check Clist a lot and then do a search to get info on the gear. What I’m seeing is the good stuff on Clist is going for plenty of pesos. It’s value is being recognized and it is somewhat difficult to find that “great deal” anymore.

Last edited:
View attachment 1339086 View attachment 1339087 I’ve been looking for a vintage system for quite a long time. I found this Marantz system for sale for $425. Yay or nay? Is it a good deal? I don’t have the model number yet, but I’m waiting for it.

$4.25, yes.

$425, no.

Like everything else in life, there is good vintage, and not so good vintage.

At least it’s not a Soundesign stack from that era.

As one that owns true vintage Marantz, it's a NAY. I have seen the system your looking at. Others have already stated correctly. This system is not vintage. It is just old, plastic and not made well but carrie's the Marantz name.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and mine only. It is not intended to discredit anyone else's opinion or views. Just sayin.
20181026_153735.jpg

PLEASE spend some time reading and learning on Audiokarma before rushing out with a fistful of $$. Aaaaaand: No, don’t buy that system. :eek::biggrin::biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom