Krell FPB 600... HOLY HELL!

Infinity!

Hey guys, just wanted to share some pictures of what I just bought yesterday. I know many of you were wondering what my impressions are with how the Krell FPB 600 compares to my Adcom 565's. Let me just say that there is literally no comparison on how they sound. The krell blows the Adcoms out of the water in every single way and in huge margins!!

I knew the bass was going to better, but I never thought my speakers could get any lower, louder, deeper, and much more controlled. I never thought the 10" woofers in my Infinity RS IIb's could sound so full, but they do now. The extension and clarity that the krell added was unbelievable. I wish I could write more about the bass improvement, but I am still in shock at how much I was missing.

The mids and highs are what I was worried about most before purchasing the krell. However, after listening to it for quite a few hours yesterday (with my 2 friends and brother who all concur), we do not understand how anyone could describe the sound of krell amplifiers as harsh or bright!? The highs and mids became much more lush and "tube like". I was able to hear so much more in my music than I EVER did with my Adcoms. The separation and dynamics within the Krell are outstanding and to think that the slight harshness that I was experiencing with the Adcoms was all due to distortion! The more I upgrade components within my system (especially interconnects), the more I realize that distortion IS the root cause for listening fatigue and the sense of "harshness" that we hear.

Although spending $3,499 on one single audio component took everything in me to finally pull the trigger, I have absolutely 0% buyers remores and persuade my fellow AKer's to never skimp on your amplifiers. I used to be one of the people that thought that all amps should sound the same, and although my Adcoms made me retract that thought, this Krell has made me even more angry at myself for once believing this. lol But this is the the process of reaching Audio Nirvana... one step at a time. That's why I love this hobby so very much.

20181124_115142.jpg 20181124_115153.jpg 20181124_115219.jpg 20181124_115248.jpg
(The last picture was from a fortune cookie from Panda Express. I got it yesterday after I bought my amp... it was quite fitting ;))

Last edited:
Let me just say that there is literally no comparison on how they sound. The krell blows the Adcoms out of the water in every single way and in huge margins!!
Seems those statements speak volumes about all ss amps sounding the same and whether one gets better sound for more money. The good stuff costs money for a reason and the buyer gets the benefit of the better sound. not that the stuff most of us have doesn't sound good.

Hey guys, just wanted to share some pictures of what I just bought yesterday. I know many of you were wondering what my impressions are with how the Krell FPB 600 compares to my Adcom 565's. Let me just say that there is literally no comparison on how they sound. The krell blows the Adcoms out of the water in every single way and in huge margins!!

I knew the bass was going to better, but I never thought my speakers could get any lower, louder, deeper, and much more controlled. I never thought the 10" woofers in my Infinity RS IIb's could sound so full, but they do now. The extension and clarity that the krell added was unbelievable. I wish I could write more about the bass improvement, but I am still in shock at how much I was missing.

The mids and highs are what I was worried about most before purchasing the krell. However, after listening to it for quite a few hours yesterday (with my 2 friends and brother who all concur), we do not understand how anyone could describe the sound of krell amplifiers as harsh or bright!? The highs and mids not only became much more lush and "tube like". I was able to hear so much more in my music than I EVER did with my Adcoms. The separation and dynamics within the Krell are outstanding and to think that the slight harshness that I was experiencing with the Adcoms was all due to distortion! The more I upgrade components within my system (especially interconnects), the more I realize that distortion IS the root cause for listening fatigue and the sense of "harshness" that we hear.

Although spending $3,499 on one single audio component took everything in me to finally pull the trigger, I have absolutely 0% buyers remores and persuade my fellow AKer's to never skimp on your amplifiers. I used to be one of the people that thought that all amps should sound the same, and although my Adcoms made me retract that thought, this Krell has made me even more angry at myself for once believing this. lol But this is the the process of reaching Audio Nirvana... one step at a time. That's why I love this hobby so very much.

View attachment 1338680 View attachment 1338681 View attachment 1338683 View attachment 1338684
(The last picture was from a fortune cookie from Panda Express. I got it yesterday after I bought my amp... it was quite fitting ;))

I am not sure that "tube like" would be exactly my description but it was warmer and the soundstage was larger but it was missing some of the harmonic character. I think the best differences were macro-dynamics and the fullness of the mid/upper bass, even on the EMIMs the music seemed tangible. The treble was extended and crisp but defiantly not fatiguing, I agree with Infinity! that distortion must have been the culprit of any prior heard listening fatigue. The deference was none the less astounding, and I think completely justifies the price. I would also like to add that the NAD he is using with this is VERY warm, I am curious what this will sound like when we try a few different preamps.

Well not to pop your joy,, and if you're satisfied for 'l'argent$' I'm happy for you.

Buutt LOL... To replicate what I have would cost in sound I like for a less but still out of reach for many. I'm glad I bought what I have and kept the "sound". :D

Wow, Congrats on that! This is an amp to be buried with, eh?
Though this may well be true on the usual basis of judgment, it remains a fact that both the '300 and the '600 were sensitive to supply quality. I experimented using conventional socket strips, standard wall sockets, and dedicated 45A, 240V supplies (equivalent to 90A on US 120V).
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-amplifier-page-5#Uo8mUjU16lHGhF3P.99[\Quote]

Man, oh man. That's some power right there.

Congrats on the Krell. That's one impressive looking piece.
What are you currently using for interconnects?

Congrats on the Krell. That's one impressive looking piece.
What are you currently using for interconnects?

All audioquest cables.

Speaker Cables: Castle Rocks

Interconnects: Yukons (IIb EQ to amp), Victorias (preamp to IIb EQ and DAC to preamp)

USB : Coffee USB

Power Cable: NRG 2 (For the Schiit DAC)

Would love to experiment with the power cables for the Krell, but that will have to wait a while! lol

I know how you feel, but it's to bad naysayers never understand what high quality clean big power does to speakers even at low volumes. Let them have their sub 100 watt amps thinking the first watt is the most important.

You now know the difference in headroom and amp speed to control the speakers with any transient peaks feeding them.

Congrats

All audioquest cables.

Speaker Cables: Castle Rocks

Interconnects: Yukons (IIb EQ to amp), Victorias (preamp to IIb EQ and DAC to preamp)

USB : Coffee USB

Power Cable: NRG 2 (For the Schiit DAC)

Would love to experiment with the power cables for the Krell, but that will have to wait a while! lol

Thanks.
Were those already in your signature and I just plain missed them?

Back
Top Bottom