Klipsch Kg4-FB possible refinishing?

KTG

Hi all!

First post!

Im in the process of building stands for and hopefully refinishing.

Now to my understanding the FB im the serial means that the wood is fir? The B stands for black as far as I understand. Does this mean it was one with poor veneer? Or would it be solid? Possible to sand and refinish?

I've read a lot of the posts already on here but just want to double check before I ruin a set of speakers .
Thanks in advance!

You have a pair of Black KG 4's??? And most likely your correct they are Black Fir?? I've never seen such a thing?? Mine are Walnut sigh, and while I would "prefer" a lighter wood … I'm not gonna change them, I like mine as they came form the factory … many years ago. :)

So I would not do it myself but it looks like they are a veneer, and fairly thin?? I would think, your best bet would be to re-veneer in a wood of your choice?? Going from Black to a lighter color seems kinda, difficult to me otherwise?/ But I'm sure there are lot's of wood worker guys that will chime in. :)

Picture of the speakers in question. I'm going to be building stands with a woodworking buddy of mine so he will probably have some idea as well

Attachments

• 20181122_110133.jpg
    20181122_110133.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 59
FB should stand for Full/Finished Black and the wood under that stain/paint should be Oak that didn't meet Klipsch's standards (although I bet it would look fine if you can get it off)...

Bill

Last edited:
I'm in the same position with a pair of Kg2s. I've read the veneer is thin and care needs to be taken when sanding. I've heard accounts that recommend using a chemical paint remover first before sanding. I always prefer natural wood over paint. My Kg4s are OO (Oiled Oak). I don't plan to do mine until summer, so I'm watching this thread for tips.

FB should stand for Full/Finished Black and the wood under that stain/paint should be Oak that didn't meet Klipsch's standards (although I bet it would look fine if you can get it off)...

Bill
I wonder if since the unfinished "decorator" models were birch plywood, might the painted ones be the same?

by this era Klipsch was using veneered MDF and while still selling the plain unfinished Heresys (not decorators...decorators are the one's without the grills) kg4s were made in Oak, Walnut and Black...from what I recall of that time period, the black was usually stain'd or painted over the Oak that didn't meet the quality finish Klipsch expected...can you see wood grain through the black (I cannot tell from your photo)???...usually that wood grain will help you to know the wood underneath and I'd bet it is oak...it is on my KLF-C7 center from a slightly newer time than the kg4...

Good luck with your decision and enjoy those kg4s

Bill

Last edited:
I'm no Klipsch expert, but I own KG4s and Fortes in oak. I've seen them in walnut (which I prefer) and birch? but never seen them in black.

You have a pair of Black KG 4's??? And most likely your correct they are Black Fir?? I've never seen such a thing?? Mine are Walnut sigh, and while I would "prefer" a lighter wood … I'm not gonna change them, I like mine as they came form the factory … many years ago. :)
If you ever come to California, bring yours with you and we can compare them to my oak KG4s. If you happen to take the wrong ones home......oh,well!!:biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom