Show us your JBLs

I just refoamed a pair of these with woofer surround rot.. Nice sound. Might be able to fix the tweeter. I did this on several tweeters. Fixed the coil on several rogers studio 1a's that have a aluminum dome tweeter and they seem to break right at the spot where it goes from the coil to the connector. Probably snaps from fatigue. Measure resistance on the tweeter before and after the crossover. Sometimes a cap fails and the signal doesn't get through to the tweeter. Had this issue on a pair of KLH six early model.
I guessed that was the issue, but he wouldn’t let me touch it. :rolleyes: The tweeter definitely does not work, we have tested it in the other cabinet and read for resistance and it’s bad. He’ll find one on eBay eventually. They are great sounding speakers, and I hate to see them moved to the closet.
My lx44's don't have grills, but do they need them if no kids or pets will touch them? What sounds better, with or without grills?
I wouldn’t sweat it too much, the grills do seem to tame the amuminum dome a bit, but otherwise don’t add anything that isn’t asthetic or protective. And to some that taming of the tweeter may be a downside, but he already has bright speakers, cables, and other equipment, and it can be a bit Klipsch-esque sometimes. ;)

What's the weird bit Zonker ?

If you want any more pics or linky's just ask. It's all over on LH

Last edited:
Great work, Mac - always worthy images!

I've loved those L7 style 4315s since the first time I saw them

View attachment 1321738
4315A repackaged Woofs are on the side.

L26 Decades with 044 tweets.

L300 styled 3 way active

2235H 15" 2380 horn ( B&C 85Ti driver with Aquaplas treatment )
2405 slot tweets.

Great work, Mac - always worthy images!

I've loved those L7 style 4315s since the first time I saw them

Slainte Heather. I had never seen or been aware of L7 when I made those cabs,. I was aiming
for seriously improved imaging, vertical array etc. This was there in spades, bass integration was not an issue. 4313B suggested using the 2203 as a pure sub <100 but I didn't get round to doing that , they sounded really good as was.

Another pic for Waldorf and the other fellah

upload_2018-11-4_2-9-5.png

Last edited:
Let's go big

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG
index.php

Last edited:
What's the weird bit Zonker ?

No offense intended, but it seemed weird to me, for example, to see the L300 shape reimagined in a narrower cabinet. A somewhat surreal experience, like seeing a regular car with a few feet cut out of the middle, that otherwise looks perfectly stock.

Oh and I forgot my C40 Harknesses. Don't mind the mid-cleaning mess. The good 'blonde' one has an 030 load. There's another 'blonde' one awaiting restoration, behind all the Magnepans. I have another 030 compliment for that one. And then an extra Walnut C40 cabinet but no drivers for it yet.

On the hidden blonde one needing restoration, any tips as to the correct veneer to use? Maple?

(2022 Edit: Restoration documented here: https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-restore-blonde-c40-harkness-cabinets.895568/)

9uIy66Sl.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! Those look super-clean. Congrats!

If I had another pair of L250s or 250Tis, the first thing I'd do is put taller feet under them. The little factory plastic button feet are way too short to prevent carpet from snagging on, and breaking off, pieces of veneer around the bottom edge.

Back
Top Bottom