Kenwood KR-1000 issue at first power on

spaghetti

Hi, I got this huge beautiful receiver a few days ago. After internal cleanup I powered it on, all speakers relays started to click like crazy and I thought it must have got damaged during transport. So I turned it off and left it alone a few minutes, with the plug inserted in the wall AC socket.

After a few minutes I powered it on again and it worked! This time no crazy relays, after a few seconds the relays engaged and situation remained stable.

The same thing happened today. I worked on the receiver replacing some broken bulbs, then turned it on and relays went crazy. Turn it off, wait a few minutes, turn it on and it's acting normal.

Any idea of what could be wrong with it? I am a bit intimidated by this receiver, lots of ICs and "modern" electronics...

Hi,
Weird, was just looking at one of those
Too many 'what ifs' with that one to just start guessing
I do know that early 1980s Kenwood car and home audio was plagued with cold solder/half soldered joints
I've had a few like crazy
Had you put any time on it before you started 'working on it'?

By the way, I think I have a bad solder (or contact) on the power meter display board... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, touching the board is enough to make it work again.

By the way, I think I have a bad solder (or contact) on the power meter display board... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, touching the board is enough to make it work again.
You never said, did you have any real time with it before you started working on it?
Time to get out a good light and a magnifying glass

You never said, did you have any real time with it before you started working on it?

No real time, but no real work either before testing it. I just opened it and removed layers of dust. It's very unlikely that I damaged it in the process.

No real time, but no real work either before testing it. I just opened it and removed layers of dust. It's very unlikely that I damaged it in the process.
Wasn't implying that you were responsible just looking for an 'optimistic' cause if there were to be such a thing
like needing to recover a little longer from a deoxit bath
I briefly had a KR-9400 that was stolen, very similar to yours, if I'm guessing the right model, and it was filled with cracked solder joints

Back
Top Bottom