Klipschorns and tubes.

playittwice

Okay since experiencing tubes with my Klipsch, I am already searching for another amp for a second system. I am currently using a SET amp and like the sound it produces. So what would be a different option/flavor of sound to go with. I realize the options are endless, but thought you more-experienced folks would have a better idea. Thinking a SET 300b, 2a3 or would PP be a better or different experience. If I did PP It would probably be vintage. Ie. HH Scott or Fisher integrated. Listening levels are low to moderate. Genres are classic rock and country rock.

Thanks.

Well I think the best experience I’ve ever had was listening to jazz in my living room with my LaScalas connected to my Dynaco Mark IV amplifiers.
Sadly space constraints/wife/kids do not allow me to keep this set up in my living room year round but I get what you are going for. Good luck in your quest.

I've only tried powerful PP with my Cornwalls - and absolutely love the setup. I'd describe it as a huge deep clear sound - that gets bigger as you turn up the volume - more 3D like (I believe this is overhead - plenty) - doesn't degrade (too scary to go even louder.)

Though I do want to eventually build some flea watt SET power amps - for now I'm very content with PP monoblocks @60-120W range.

I enjoy the option of having a SET and PP amp driving either pair of birch boxes. Sometimes you like one setup, sometimes you prefer another. I like the Prima Luna because I can also roll different types of power tubes so I have that added bit of flexibility.

Having lots of options can be fun.

The amp I felt sounded the best on my Khorns was a (the) Transcendent SE-OTL. I had a pair of them and bridged them to 4-watts.

Sounded great while in their range, it just frustrated me that there wasn't more of what they did (or I'd still have them)

I went through:

McIntosh MC-30's
McIntosh MC-2102
Wright 2A3
Transcendent SE-OTL's
Viva 300 B-SET
Quad II's
Jolida (forget model number)

For my ears, the OTL's had the nicest, most natural sound. The MC-2102 "looked" the coolest. Viva was the most 'modern' looking,

But it was the OTL amps that interestingly enough, both my wife and her sister (who both think a transistor radio is sufficient and Khorns are abhorrent) anyway, both of them at different times commented while eating dinner (music playing in other room) just how "real" it sounded...Happened to be the OTL's every time someone spoke up. (maybe they would have otherwise and it was just chance??)

Older Scott And Fishers were noisy when new, I was using them with Altec Coronados and Camels and it wasn't until I started using Mac MC 60's and MA 230 that I was happy. For a more forward sound I would recommend a Marantz 8B. I haven't a clue about the sound of SET amps today. The small Haflers and older Sansuis had an acceptable sound with older Khorns, which were more mellow than to days models.

Just spent a few days with my uncles C-22/MC-275 and K-Horns over Thanksgiving, sounded fairly decent :beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom