Home Alone

Trekkie4

Retired Member
Well folks, it's that time of the year once again... :) Just watched the first movie in the franchise, and also (in my personal opinion) the best one yet. Not that I've never seen it before, I actually happen to know the lines, almost the entire dialogue lol.

While the 2nd movie was a pale copy of the 1st one, 3rd offered the alternative approach to Home Alone, which turned out to be quite exciting & interesting to watch. On the other hand, 4th movie was a disaster, I would even dare to say insult to the original. And I could easily say the same for 5th, even though it offered some improvement over the 4th one, so at least they gave it a try.

Agreed, 2nd one was OK. Too much repeating for my taste, instead of making new & all original plot but otherwise it's to be considered "classic", just like the 1st one.

And yeah, 3rd movie featured a whole new approach to Home Alone. Instead of re-casting Culkin in the role of Kevin, they came up with the new kid, Alex who found a super-secret computer chip inside his toy car. The only "problem" is that the gang of international gangsters wants it back (they've hidden the chip inside the toy car in order to make it through the airport, which was then taken by someone else by mistake & gifted to Alex) and this is where "Home Alone" story begins. No one is willing to trust Alex when he warned them about the gangsters, so now all 4 of them are going after Alex & the chip. IMO, not as great as the original but totally watchable & quite exciting.

On the other hand, 4th movie featured a reboot ... except it wasn't really a reboot, more like unofficial sequel. Kevin is back (now even younger than Culkin was, back in a day?), Kevin's parents are divorced & Harry is no longer working with Marv (Wet Bandits). The entire cast had been replaced, some of the actors don't even resemble original characters... Oh yeah, and the story takes place in modern day, almost 15yrs (give it or take it) after the original, yet the characters refer to the events of original Home Alone as if they happened a year ago. Soo yeah, a total disaster (cheesy disaster, actually) all the way. I would even say insult to the original story, I honestly don't understand what they wanted to accomplish.

5th movie moved back again, offering the similar concept to the 3rd movie. They even featured Malcolm McDowell, quite a famous actor in the role of bad guy. What a shock, right? :) But despite the best intentions, it was barely watchable experience, slightly better than 4th movie - but still miles away from 3rd, 2nd & 1st one.

I met the producer of the original film, Scott Rosenfelt, a few months ago. He is making a movie about Atlantic City and the 500 Club and plans to put a small part in it representing my wife's uncle who was a Beautician and did all the hair and wigs for the stars that performed there.

I met the producer of the original film, Scott Rosenfelt, a few months ago. He is making a movie about Atlantic City and the 500 Club and plans to put a small part in it representing my wife's uncle who was a Beautician and did all the hair and wigs for the stars that performed there.
That's really cool! As far as I'm concerned, Home Alone (the original, or at least the first two movies) are classic(s). I can't imagine spending XMAS without watching them at least once or twice! :beerchug:

I agree, there are a few shows I watch each year including the original Grinch and Bad Santa.

Here is a pic of my wife and I with Scott Rosenfelt.
attachment.php

Not another one?
tenor.gif
Are you referring to the amount of sequels? If so, I would probably have to say "Yes". Don't ask me why, it really doesn't make any sense to me either. But apparently "Home Alone" name is easily recognized & always desirable brand, so for as long as they get the money, Home Alone sequels will keep on coming one after another.

On a side note, now that Culkin is back to himself & back to serious acting, it would be a great if they could make a follow-up video to the original movie(s), featuring grown-up Culkin & Wet Bandits. Even if it turns out to be a horror movie...! :D

I liked the first one.

also here is a revent interview, was quite entertaining to listen to. Good on him for turning out normal, one of the lucky ones I guess

He also does a pretty good John Lovitz impression

I only like the first 2........ The 3rd is OK but not really what I like... (The 4th is dumb and I havent seen 5 and dont care to)

To me home alone is KEVIN and his family....

I really liked it 1 2 3, and then the parts are not very interesting, for the new year you can watch old films perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom