Fisher Premier

idadude

IMG_1359.JPG Picked up another Fisher console this evening. Got a Premier in very nice shape for $95. I'll be cleaning it up and testing the tubes before I do anything involving a variac.
The last console had the cabinet go in the dumpster since it had been sitting on a porch for over a year. This one is nice and worth restoring. Here's a pic before I pulled the TA-600 receiver out of it.

I'll try to get some more pics of the innards this weekend. Found that 6 tubes are bad. Glad that the power & output tubes test high.

L.D.

Hey, it took a bit longer than I thought it would take, but I did get a few more pics finally. I did get a chance to clean the chassis somewhat. I'm sure glad I bought an air compressor a few years ago. It made short work of getting rid of the piled up dust.
I have all the replacement caps on order, so I should have this thing running shortly. Getting the dial glass out was a mother bear. Had to heat it up with a hair dryer before it would break loose. It cleaned up real nice. I put the glass back in without re-twisting the corner glass holder ears figuring they would break. Those of you who have done this will know what I mean. I just put a drop of Amazing Goop on the metal ears so I'd only have to scrape the glue off if I ever needed to remove them again.
Checked the crossover caps today and will be replacing them also with some films. I tried putting on a couple more shots of the Premier, but AK is not accepting my pics at the moment. It just sits there and does nothing with the upload. I will try later.

Larry D.

Don't worry, mine forgot the words probably a year ago and i still haven't ordered new can caps for it. The originals finally gave up. Mine also doesn't look as nice, the chassis is much more dull.

Nice unit! It clearly does not have a lot of use time on it either, as virtually every TA-600 (and TA-800) will show the effects of the output tube heat that is so immediately near the loop-stick AM antenna. That your antenna shows no signs of heat stress at all speaks volumes about the low amount of use time it has had -- either that, or excellent ventilation its had!

Dave

Idadude what a score $95!! I am also working on restoring the same model console at the moment. 20181126_133127.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3397yes.jpg
    IMG_3397yes.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3509.jpg
    IMG_3509.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 14
Nice to see more of these beautiful consoled being preserved, especially the more prevalent Provincial models. This was the hight of Fisher tube equipment.

$95 vs. The $12,000 1958 President on the auction site... you STOLE this...

Idadude what a score $95!! I am also working on restoring the same model console at the moment. View attachment 1342837

Wow! That stained cabinet sure looks nice! I'm thinking of bracing the walls of the speaker enclosure in mine. I'm probably not going to use the Garrard TT that's in the cabinet. I'm going to modernize it and put in two shelves for a CD player and a music server. I'll put the TA-600 back into it after I re-cap and up grade it. We will see if the original speakers sound good with new poly caps in there.

L.D.

Hey, it took a bit longer than I thought it would take, but I did get a few more pics finally. I did get a chance to clean the chassis somewhat. I'm sure glad I bought an air compressor a few years ago. It made short work of getting rid of the piled up dust.
I have all the replacement caps on order, so I should have this thing running shortly. Getting the dial glass out was a mother bear. Had to heat it up with a hair dryer before it would break loose. It cleaned up real nice. I put the glass back in without re-twisting the corner glass holder ears figuring they would break. Those of you who have done this will know what I mean. I just put a drop of Amazing Goop on the metal ears so I'd only have to scrape the glue off if I ever needed to remove them again.
Checked the crossover caps today and will be replacing them also with some films. I tried putting on a couple more shots of the Premier, but AK is not accepting my pics at the moment. It just sits there and does nothing with the upload. I will try later.

Larry D.
Larry, my console wich is just like yours still has the original crossover caps and I was thinking it might be good to replace them while im still working on it. I have No idea what brand or kind of caps to purchase. I see I need two for tweeters and two for the mids as the woofers are using the coper coils. Any advice you can give me for cap replacements would be appreciated. I still need to work on a plinth for a Dual 1019 that is replacing the Garrard 88. Thanks in advance, Ben.

Wow! That stained cabinet sure looks nice! I'm thinking of bracing the walls of the speaker enclosure in mine. I'm probably not going to use the Garrard TT that's in the cabinet. I'm going to modernize it and put in two shelves for a CD player and a music server. I'll put the TA-600 back into it after I re-cap and up grade it. We will see if the original speakers sound good with new poly caps in there.

L.D.
Thanks for the compliment on the stained cabinet. My receiver has been refreshed already and sounds pretty good. I have connected it to the speakers and also connected a Dual 1019 turntable and I was pretty impressed with the sound. It gets pretty loud and clear. I was just wondering if I would benefit from crossover cap replacements though. The wife is happy with the new stain too.

Larry, my console wich is just like yours still has the original crossover caps and I was thinking it might be good to replace them while im still working on it. I have No idea what brand or kind of caps to purchase. I see I need two for tweeters and two for the mids as the woofers are using the coper coils. Any advice you can give me for cap replacements would be appreciated. I still need to work on a plinth for a Dual 1019 that is replacing the Garrard 88. Thanks in advance, Ben.

I used inexpensive Axon poly caps for the 16uf and Solens for the 2uf ($11.30 for all 4 caps). Got them through Parts Connexion in Canada. Paid $0 for shipping and got them in two days (with some other parts).

L.D.

The RC88 is okay, but not spectacular. I'd run a changer if this were mine just because I like them and play a lot of records but updating it to something a little better would be on the table. Probably wouldn't go with a CD player but I really don't own any. I'm at like 12 feet of records and own maybe a couple dozen CDs.

Back
Top Bottom