KA-6004 Switches

bhowle

Hey folks! New member here. I recently pulled my Dad's old Kenwood out of storage, after a bit of warm up, it works perfectly! I am going to take it apart, deoxit the pots/switches this weekend. I know it will need some new caps and work as well, which I plan on taking on soon.

I am looking for a source for the plastic front panel switches. The ones for the filter section are missing and I'd like to replace them. I've been looking around online and can't find much. Any help would be appreciated!

I’ll keep an eye out. If anyone here has a junk Kenwood and wants to part with some switches, PM me!

They are plastic and there is a worldwide demand for a few hundred of these. Someone needs to 3D print them.

When can we stop using the 3D in front of printing something that isn't what we normally think of as printing? I know I understand when someone says they can print parts for cars or whatever. I know it ain't an inkjet shooting on paper. I guess this is one of the last times I'll mention it.

Get some aluminum tube from a hobby store/ supplier and sleeve the original lever. Unbreakable.....

Get some colored caulk/silicone to fill tube end.
You can sleeve the tips with heat shrink

Oh the 6004 is a very nice unit, Congrats , you probably owe your dad a brew.

They are plastic and there is a worldwide demand for a few hundred of these. Someone needs to 3D print them.

When can we stop using the 3D in front of printing something that isn't what we normally think of as printing? I know I understand when someone says they can print parts for cars or whatever. I know it ain't an inkjet shooting on paper. I guess this is one of the last times I'll mention it.

Funny enough, my Dad has a 3D printed and loves tinkering. I’ll see what he can come up with.

Get some aluminum tube from a hobby store/ supplier and sleeve the original lever. Unbreakable.....

Get some colored caulk/silicone to fill tube end.
You can sleeve the tips with heat shrink

Oh the 6004 is a very nice unit, Congrats , you probably owe your dad a brew.

I have some fond memories listening to this thing as a kid. Came with a single Klipsch Cornwall (too big for our living room, though), Pioneer tuner and a Teac tape deck. I think I might owe him at least a 12 pack. My girlfriend donated a Technics 1200 to the pile, should be a nice setup once I can find some speakers that fit in the house!

This is a nice unit. Mine came in non-working condition covered in black oily deposits. Someone here talked me through the repair (small faulty transistor) and over the years since I've gradually recapped it. I'm a tubes person, but this 6004 is a keeper.

If you get those switches replicated, please post some pics.

Back
Top Bottom