3 Gen Echo Dot $24 bucks.

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just noticed that both the 2nd and 3rd generation Echo Dot’s are on sale for Black Friday. 2nd gen’ $19.00 Dollars, the 3rd gen’ $24 USD. I have 2 of the 2nd gen’ units. Not sure if I need another one. One thing that is coming is the Echo devices will work as an intrusion detector, and alarm.

Google Home Minis were $26 this weekend in brick and mortar stores. One of our brand reps bought out my whole entire stock as raffle prizes for reps who sell her brand.

The thing that caused me to purchase the first Dot was a review on Amazon about a nephew that purchased one for a uncle who had been bed ridden for years. When this man was shown what it could do he was in tears. This little hockey puck opened up the world for him.

I have a Google Mini. It is far more limited then the Echo Dot in someways. The biggest fault it has is no 3,5mm jack so you cannot hook up an external amp and speakers to it like I have for my Echo Dot's. It's internal speaker leave a lot to be desired. The Echo Dot is not any better but at least you can hook up better audio to it. It's interface with the Chromecast is not as usable as the Echo Dot and it's Firestick/FireTV. But the Google Mini rules with map and database questions. The way the Google Mini works with Google maps is fantastic. Ask were the closest Subway Sandwich shop is located it will tell you it is loading the route to it into google maps and the itinerary to get you there.

The thing that caused me to purchase the first Dot was a review on Amazon about a nephew that purchased one for a uncle who had been bed ridden for years. When this man was shown what it could do he was in tears. This little hockey puck opened up the world for him.

I have a Google Mini. It is far more limited then the Echo Dot in someways. The biggest fault it has is no 3,5mm jack so you cannot hook up an external amp and speakers to it like I have for my Echo Dot's. It's internal speaker leave a lot to be desired. The Echo Dot is not any better but at least you can hook up better audio to it. It's interface with the Chromecast is not as usable as the Echo Dot and it's Firestick/FireTV. But the Google Mini rules with map and database questions. The way the Google Mini works with Google maps is fantastic. Ask were the closest Subway Sandwich shop is located it will tell you it is loading the route to it into google maps and the itinerary to get you there.
I have my mini in my office and I can't remember the last time I used it. Its advantage over the Dot is that it can work as a remote to send music to a Chromecast or Chromecast audio. This allows you to take advantages of the DAC in your receiver or outboard DAC.

That being said, I still use the Echo Spot, which is in the same room, almost all the time rather than using the Google mini. I am just more used to Alexa and it is using the AUX to send audio to two setups and it is fine for casual music listening. Since it has Bluetooth built in, it works fine for podcasts being sent from my iPhone, too. I really don't want Google in the main areas of the home, so that has a lot to do with it. I prefer Amazon to have my data over Google, but that is just my personal preference.

I got one to replace a Sirius radio I have plugged into my stereo (got it at staples, used a $20 ink recycling reward). Saving $10 a month, the SQ is better, and I get more channels. I have another one in the kitchen, along with an Insigina Google Assistant alarm clock and a HomePod in the bedroom.

I got one to replace a Sirius radio I have plugged into my stereo (got it at staples, used a $20 ink recycling reward). Saving $10 a month, the SQ is better, and I get more channels. I have another one in the kitchen, along with an Insigina Google Assistant alarm clock and a HomePod in the bedroom.
Almost as bad as me! :D I have Echo Dots in kitchen, living room, and master bath. An Echo Spot and Google Mini in the office and a HomePod between my kitchen area and my living room. Then, of course, I have the Apple Watch for when I am not near any of them. :rflmao:

I am listening to WQRX on the above setup. I have been reading the Audio periodicals published in the early 1970s. I wonder what these columnists would have thought about it a very small hockey puck hooked to a compact but by the standards of that day very powerful. Audio amp. The W35 is from that time and I don’t remember them sounding as good as they do right now. It is interesting to note that the W35’s sound much better in this setup then my Polk Monitor 10B’s, the W45 are about the same but with more on the bottom thanks to it's 10” Wharfedale woofer.

The Gen 3 Echo Dot is changed in one way I do not like. They have changed the USB micro power connection in favor of a regular coaxial power plug the option of plugging the Dot into any powered USB hub is gone.

They are on sale still in some stores, I am thinking about getting another off the news that they will now work with Apple Music.

Was at the local BB last night. The Gen 3s were completely sold out. Plenty of $20 Gen 2s In stock, though. Only one of the cool Insignia Alexa speakers left at $25. Lots of $15 CCAs left, too. Stacks of Google Home Hubs and Minis, neither on sale.

Back
Top Bottom