Hooking up equalizer to Phillips 7961?

IowaIH

Im a newbie with a quick question. I have a vintage Phillips 7961 reciever in one of my systems. There is a Yamaha K30 cassette deck and a Pioneer PL12d in the system also. I recently acquired a Teac EQA 20 for free that is in mint condition. My question is can this equalizer be hooked up to an integrated amp reciever? And what is the correct way to hook it up if it can? The Phillips reciever does not have pre amp jacks. It just has phono and auxiliary inputs, and tape a&b with rec. and play jacks. Any info would be great. Thanks!

Use a tape loop. The EQ should have a set of Jack's to "replace" the ones used by the EQ.

Ok, still a little confused. I am probably making it harder than what it needs to be. On the back of my equalize I have Line In 1&2, Tape Out 1&2, Tape In 1&2 and Mon Out jacks. I want to hook up my cassette player which i assume goes to the tape in, and i want to hook up my turntable which maybe goes to one of the line in jacks? But what comes from and to the reciever and what jacks? Any help would be great thanks!

I hate links! :D

hookup.gif

Just some FYI, the tape REC and PLAY jacks on any receiver or integrated amplifier is what's known as the "tape loop".

On your EQ, the LINE IN is the same as the input shown in the EQ pic above. MONITOR is the same as the output shown in the EQ pic above.

Last edited:
I can do links, it's cut and pasting pictures I have trouble with!:)
I have trouble with screen grabs as well.

For the OP, once you get the wiring connected, you will have to activate the proper monitoring functions on the receiver and tape deck to make full use of everything.

for your particular set-up,I've done same thing with same rcvr. EQ line out goes into PLAY jacks on rcvr. EQ line in goes to REC jacks on rcvr. In my kitchen set-up is the 7961 with a Yamaha GE-3 EQ, and a Sony cassette deck, CD player & Sony XDR-F1HD HD tuner , switched with a Ratshack audio source selector. I'd send a pic or 2, but too much dust & cat hair for public display!:eek: Btw, my 7961 runs hot to the point ive added outboard heatsinks to the backplate, which is the ONLY heatsink for the 4 output transistors. that, plus having to flip power switch DOWN to turn unit on (defies logic) are the only things i don't like about this thing. does yours also run hot, or maybe i have an oddball?:rockon:

for your particular set-up,I've done same thing with same rcvr. EQ line out goes into PLAY jacks on rcvr. EQ line in goes to REC jacks on rcvr. In my kitchen set-up is the 7961 with a Yamaha GE-3 EQ, and a Sony cassette deck, CD player & Sony XDR-F1HD HD tuner , switched with a Ratshack audio source selector. I'd send a pic or 2, but too much dust & cat hair for public display!:eek: Btw, my 7961 runs hot to the point ive added outboard heatsinks to the backplate, which is the ONLY heatsink for the 4 output transistors. that, plus having to flip power switch DOWN to turn unit on (defies logic) are the only things i don't like about this thing. does yours also run hot, or maybe i have an oddball?:rockon:

Hey thanks for the comment, my 7961 runs a tad bit hotter but the vent compared to my Lafayette LR 5555 and my Yamaha CR 640 is tiny. I always thought that might have been why. The way the power switch is odd they designed it that way, but all in all I like the reciever. It's nice and simple and doesn't sound too bad either.

I hate links! :D

hookup.gif

Just some FYI, the tape REC and PLAY jacks on any receiver or integrated amplifier is what's known as the "tape loop".

On your EQ, the LINE IN is the same as the input shown in the EQ pic above. MONITOR is the same as the output shown in the EQ pic above.

Just received my necessary cables in the mail today and started hooking it up. So far I have the LINE IN on the CASSETTE hooked to the TAPE OUT on the EQ, I have the LINE IN or INPUT on the EQ hooked to the TAPE B REC L& R jacks. Per the diagram. Here's where I'm confused, If my MON OUT is the Same as the output shown in the EQ diagram what do i hook my tape deck LINE OUT up to?
20181208_132017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom