Topping D10 PCM sampling rate: dictated by file or PC?

palsapal

Just bought a D10 & I was under the impression that the sample rate shown in the display would be the file value. I've tried playing flac files ripped at 44100 & 48000Hz & expected the display to show these rates when the files were played. The only way I can make this display change is if I alter the value in Windows (v7 - Playback devices/Properties/Advanced).

Am I misguided on the subject?

It's the software you're using to play. If it's set to use "default sound device", the output will be whatever bitrate windows it's set too. If you want the file to dictate the bitrate. You need a player software that's bit perfect, and setup to play as such, with the appropriate proutp device.

I have a D-10. I use it with a laptop (Win10) and either Music Bee or Media Monkey. I downloaded and installed the Topping drivers (not included with the DAC). Music Bee and Media Monkey are set to use WASAPI with the D-10 as the output device. It plays and shows in the display the sampling rate up to 96KHz. The D-10 goes to 24/192. However, I don't have any PCM files that go any higher than 96/24.

For DSD/DSF files (through the D-10) I'm currently using the trial version of Tune Browser (downloaded from Microsoft, 500 file limit). As I only have two dozen or so DSD/DSF files it is all I need for now. I tried to get Foobar to work with DSD/DSF files but couldn't get it to work properly. Besides IMO the Foobar interface sucks.

If I continue to collect DSD/DSF files (I most likely will) I'll probably spring for the full version of tune browser as it would be nice to have one application for all my music files. But then, maybe Music Bee (my favorite) or Media Monkey will offer a DSD/DSF plugin as Foobar does.

If you told us what player you're using we could offer more help. I just noticed you're using Win 7. You should use ASIO if WASAPI is not an option.

Last edited:
... If you told us what player you're using we could offer more help. ...

I mainly use MediaMonkey with flac files on a laptop & iTunes with mp4/files on a desktop. Have MusicBee installed (not used it extensively) & I'm trying again with Foobar but, like yourself, not impressed with it's look & feel.

Have installed the Topping drivers. MediaMonkey is configured with WASAPI O/P plugin but can't see the D10. Do I need to install something?

I mainly use MediaMonkey with flac files on a laptop & iTunes with mp4/files on a desktop. Have MusicBee installed (not used it extensively) & I'm trying again with Foobar but, like yourself, not impressed with it's look & feel.

Have installed the Topping drivers. MediaMonkey is configured with WASAPI O/P plugin but can't see the D10. Do I need to install something?
I'm using a D50 with a win10 laptop. The DAC didn't require any additional drivers and has been fully plug and play with Foobar 2000 using FLAC compression/decompression. I've even been able to successfully use DSD files with little effort.
Have I just been lucky? Is there something different about the D10 that makes it harder to use?
Yes, I agree that Foobar is clunky but it seems to work well and has great flexibility. Why do you prefer the other players?

... Have I just been lucky? Is there something different about the D10 that makes it harder to use?
... Why do you prefer the other players?

Not sure why the D10 & D50 are so different regarding the need for drivers. Continue to use iTunes as always had either iPod or IPhone. Tried MediaMonkey after reading a recommendation & liked it for its ease of use & looks.

Try the free trial of JRiver Media Center.

Why? I'm not trying to find a media player. I would prefer to use MediaMonkey if I can.
Ironically, I subscribed to J River MediaJukebox6 ($25) some years ago & now find v14 is free

Last edited:
My D-10 shows up as Speakers (Topping USB DAC) in Music Bee. It reads the same in Media Monkey. Both applications play the file in the intended format. This applies to both of the laptops I use. One is in my bedroom connected to the D-10 the other is connected to my main system via an Emotiva XDA-2.

If I've got it right J River has discontinued the Jukebox. If you attempt to download it you are directed toward a trial version of Media Center.

... Both applications play the file in the intended format ....

By this, do you mean that the D10 display shows either 44.1 or 48.0 when you switch between playing files with these rates?

My D10 does this when using Foobar2000 but not with MediaMonkey. I'd rather use the latter.

I have set MediaMonkey as follows:

Tools/Options/Output plugins:

plugin selected = MediaMonkey WASAPI output

Configure plugin = Speakers (Topping USB DAC)

Does MediaMonkey need to have an ASIO output plugin to display the file's sample rate? Have tried downloading "ASIO.67" from MediaMonkey but end up at a all-Chinese site.

Why? I'm not trying to find a media player. I would prefer to use MediaMonkey if I can.
Ironically, I subscribed to J River MediaJukebox6 ($25) some years ago & now find v14 is free

Just suggesting it as a test. It has wasapi output built in with no need for plugins, etc. You could try it for free to see if it works and help isolate te problem.

By this, do you mean that the D10 display shows either 44.1 or 48.0 when you switch between playing files with these rates?

My D10 does this when using Foobar2000 but not with MediaMonkey. I'd rather use the latter.

I have set MediaMonkey as follows:

Tools/Options/Output plugins:

plugin selected = MediaMonkey WASAPI output

Configure plugin = Speakers (Topping USB DAC)

Does MediaMonkey need to have an ASIO output plugin to display the file's sample rate? Have tried downloading "ASIO.67" from MediaMonkey but end up at a all-Chinese site.

1. Go to output plugins
2. Make sure Media Monkey WASAPI is selected.
3. Go to Configuration
4. Check the exclusive box.
5. Go to the bottom of the drop down sampling rate menu and select output same as source.
That should do it.

But then, maybe Music Bee (my favorite) or Media Monkey will offer a DSD/DSF plugin as Foobar does.

MusicBee is based on the BASS audio library. It appears that there is a DSD CODEC plugin for the BASS library:

https://www.un4seen.com/bass.html#addons

I haven't tried it, but one would imagine that if you drop the DLL into the Plugins folder in the MB install path, it ought to work...

[edit: I already seem to have all the BASS CODEC DLLs installed in the MB install directory, including bassdsd.dll. So it looks like 'it's part of the standard install kit now.]

Last edited:
Simply dropping the dll in the directory doesn't work. After a little poking around I got the dsd/dsf dll to register as a plug in. Unfortunately it won't allow me to enable it. I even uninstalled and re-installed and still not allowed to enable.

My experimentation revealed that, unusually for a media manager, there's no way to select what media formats MB will import, unless you do a manual 'insert'. Quite a shock, although it doesn't actually affect me.

I might raise it as a feature request, because it's the first time I've seen a media manager not offering such a control.

I just started using Foobar2k when I got my D10 a few weeks ago. Never been a fan, but I watched a YouTube video that was a sort of tutorial showing how to get the interface looking nice and i've been loving it ever since.
After downloaing the D10 driver, In FB2K I've been using the "ASIO : foo_dsd_asio" component. If I recall correctly, this component came from Topping in the *.zip.

Back
Top Bottom