RS-IIB speaker grills

torfury

Hi all. Hoping someone can advise. I have a pair of speaker grills that I am told are for RS-IIB's. Could someone give me the dimensions so I can be sure? I have a pair of RS-II, the first series, and clearly these will not fit.

They are 12”x53”x.5”.
Hmmmm. Thanks slimpikkins. What I have here is 11-3/4"x 53-1/4" x 1/2" Leads me to believe they are for something else. 9 Kappa maybe? Just trying to figure out if these can be modified to fit my RS-ii. Really hate to do that, so may have to make my own. Thanks again!

Hmmmm. Thanks slimpikkins. What I have here is 11-3/4"x 53-1/4" x 1/2" Leads me to believe they are for something else. 9 Kappa maybe? Just trying to figure out if these can be modified to fit my RS-ii. Really hate to do that, so may have to make my own. Thanks again!

The 9 Kappa is 59 1/2" tall, and the grill covers the whole height of the speaker, so it is not for those either.

My RS II frames measure 45 3/4" X 12 inches and 3/4" thick so the ones you have could be cut down (width is fine). You'd still need a way to attach them as the mounting holes may not match up, and the top is attached with a 1 1/2" peg with velcro type system with the appropriate other velcro type substance on the grille frame.
RS II frames do have a routered out section on the lower sides of the frames to clear the woofer baskets, don't know if the grilles you have have same routering or not.

Last edited:
My RS II frames measure 45 3/4" X 12 inches so the ones you have could be cut down (width is fine). You'd still need a way to attach them as the mounting holes may not match up, and the top is attached with a 1 1/2" peg with velcro type system with the appropriate other velcro type substance on the grille frame.
RS II frames do have a routered out section on the lower sides of the frames to clear the woofer baskets, don't know if the grilles you have have same routering or not.
Thanks for that info goodolpg. These are in fact routered out, so, like you said, I should be able to either cut them down to fit the RS-ii spec., or maybe I will just take your measurements and make new frames and recover. I sure hate to destroy a pair of very nice grills to do this. On the other hand, I sure do like looking at these things, so maybe I should just leave them exposed! If I stew on this for a while, I will have to post pictures so we can truly identify them. Thanks again!

I'm not a builder or carpenter but I'd think the routering might be the hardest part so you could be ahead of the game already.
Somewhere on here and/or the internet there was an RS II owner who used grilles for only the woofers and left the mids/EMITs exposed. I kind of liked that look but it might not be for everyone.
If you need other measurements or pictures let us know.

I'm not a builder or carpenter but I'd think the routering might be the hardest part so you could be ahead of the game already.
Somewhere on here and/or the internet there was an RS II owner who used grilles for only the woofers and left the mids/EMITs exposed. I kind of liked that look but it might not be for everyone.
If you need other measurements or pictures let us know.
Thank you again for the encouragement, and help. I would like to see just the woofer boxes with covers. Might like that. I have some decisions to make...

Sorry for the late reply, those are most likely for the IIa/b. Just a little different then mine. They are worth some money so may be best to make new ones. Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply, those are most likely for the IIa/b. Just a little different then mine. They are worth some money so may be best to make new ones. Good luck!
Thanks again slim. After some thought, and the help and suggestions from ya'll, it does make the most sense to build new. For now, think I will just hang on to these, just-in-case, I were ever able to score a pair of IIa/b! I see you have a pair of RS-4 in your Infinity hoard. I do as well, and think these are amazing sounding twin 8's. My polydome and emits have red writing, instead of the more common grayish script. Do you have any idea what that might mean? a letter suffix after RS-4 is not shown on the rear. Not that it matters, just curious about the exact model I have.

Only a guess, but yes.
Mainly due to the fact the II has the extended woofer box, the IIA/B has an all flat baffle.
Different heights as well as different mounting holes/pegs.

It would seem that the red/blue printing on the mids/Emits is part of the A/B designation?
From my small sampling of spares A or no designation may be red lettering and B may be blue lettering.

ALSO---here's a thread about RS II grilles and has a picture of the half grilles I mentioned above.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ll-measurements-build-plans-for-rsiis.658246/
Thanks for that! RS-4a then I suspect. Nice to know. Most of all thanks for that thread and link. Very cool. Man I love this site!

It would seem that the red/blue printing on the mids/Emits is part of the A/B designation?
From my small sampling of spares A or no designation may be red lettering and B may be blue lettering.

ALSO---here's a thread about RS II grilles and has a picture of the half grilles I mentioned above.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....ll-measurements-build-plans-for-rsiis.658246/

And they're totally badass - except for the grill pegs remnants above the top mid driver.

index.php

*I'm not the owner of image* but I do have a pair of RS-II

Thanks again slim. After some thought, and the help and suggestions from ya'll, it does make the most sense to build new. For now, think I will just hang on to these, just-in-case, I were ever able to score a pair of IIa/b! I see you have a pair of RS-4 in your Infinity hoard. I do as well, and think these are amazing sounding twin 8's. My polydome and emits have red writing, instead of the more common grayish script. Do you have any idea what that might mean? a letter suffix after RS-4 is not shown on the rear. Not that it matters, just curious about the exact model I have.
My RS4 had the reddish,pinkish lettering, so 1980’s l love it. I sold mine a while back as I had far too many speakers. Really nice speakers for their size and price. The RS4b has the taller cabinet and the gray/blue lettering.

And they're totally badass - except for the grill pegs remnants above the top mid driver.

index.php

*I'm not the owner of image* but I do have a pair of RS-II

I was surprised to see my speakers posted here on this thread. I traded several sets of tubes for these, then put around $350 into the crossover. They sound great. I want to design a special top for them, but I will have to finish remodeling my two upstairs rooms so that I can empty out my garage of the furniture stored in there. Maybe then I can get to my woodworking tools and try out some grill designs.

L.D.

Hi all. Hoping someone can advise. I have a pair of speaker grills that I am told are for RS-IIB's. Could someone give me the dimensions so I can be sure? I have a pair of RS-II, the first series, and clearly these will not fit.

There is a full set of RS-ll covers on that auction site right now. Not the lla or llb. Kind of high but they look like they’re in great shape. I’m not at all affiliated with the vendor other than I bought a pair of the midrange drivers from them. They arrived in great packaging and with bolts and spacers to keep the surrounds from touching. Anyway the seller is dkatticstore. He’s parting out a very nice pair of RS-ll’s.

There is a full set of RS-ll covers on that auction site right now. Not the lla or llb. Kind of high but they look like they’re in great shape. I’m not at all affiliated with the vendor other than I bought a pair of the midrange drivers from them. They arrived in great packaging and with bolts and spacers to keep the surrounds from touching. Anyway the seller is dkatticstore. He’s parting out a very nice pair of RS-ll’s.
Thanks VC. I have seen them on that site, and agree, they are wayyyy overpriced for my budget. I have begun the process of building my own, and should be a good solution.
Sad that these beauties are being parted out. I just hate seeing that, but reality is.............

Back
Top Bottom