Another Sad Story

gort69

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Kenwood KA-5750. Pretty scarce amp - first I've seen for sale in a few years of looking.

Poorly packed by ebay seller. The ad clearly stated no returns - use buyer protection.

Should I go straight to ebay? What likely outcome could I expect? Thanks for any advice.

thumbnail_IMG_1150.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1148.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1157.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1155.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1151.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1152.jpg

How do you know it wasn't shipped pre-bashed in.
I had a yamaha receiver I got once from some woman who swore her post office approved her packing method (basically some foam peanuts and brown paper) and the receiver had broken knobs, bent shafts and similar damage.
I think she bought it, got a bashed receiver, posted THEIR images in her ad, then packed it badly, hoping it would be bashed up further and the buyer (me) would just accept it.

She claimed it was up to me to get reimbursed by the Post Office. Nope!
Since the Post Office does NOT approve packing materials or methods, I took it to Ebay, did my complaint, and shipped it back for HER to get the refund for damage.
Ebay issued ME the refund ... I suggest you do the same.

Its a shame, but why should you pay or suffer for the seller's bad packing?

Aww, crap!!!! That is "clearly" incompetent packing at it 's finest! My first guest would be newspaper or pop corn???

Hopefully you did get the insurance ... because if you read between the "seller's lines," he is saying ... "yeah, I'am a fool and I have no idea how to pack this thing??????"

How do you know it wasn't shipped pre-bashed in.

The ad is still up under KA-5750 in "sold listings". I'd post a link but I think it's taboo (especially when responding to a moderator! :0 ) This damage was definitely not there in the ad....

Aww, crap!!!! That is "clearly" incompetent packing at it 's finest! My first guest would be newspaper or pop corn???

Hopefully you did get the insurance ... because if you read between the "seller's lines," he is saying ... "yeah, I'am a fool and I have no idea how to pack this thing??????"

Wrapped in a couple layers of small bubble wrap in a wimpy box with bubble wrap padding above and beneath, nothing add'l on the sides.

I'd really like to keep it as I can fix it (minus the faceplate damage) and ideally would like a partial refund, but not sure how to go about it. I have contacted the seller and explained the damage and attached the above photos - have not heard back yet.

Contact the seller first and try to work it out. PayPal and eBay like it when you try to sort things out first.

I ran into the same issue (bent expensive bits on a preamp due to poor packaging) and the seller refused to do anything because he listed it as "no returns" in the auction—which, by the way, means nothing. It is not valid on eBay. I gave the seller two weeks of back-and-forth and then filed a claim. Within two days, I had a full refund, a prepaid return label, and thanks from PayPal for being one of the "good users" because I tried to settle things on my own.

Beautiful piece. In the original listing.
Salvation Army huh? They're not gonna pack that right. But they say"you're covered by ebay buyer protection" . There is your out.

Beautiful piece. In the original listing.
Salvation Army huh?

Yeah - the faceplate would have been perfect. Makes me feel like I'm taking money back from the poor....

I'll ask the seller to refund me $80 - if he says no then I have to decide to keep it or ship it back with ebay's ok.

I assume ebay wouldn't issue a partial refund if it gets to that point?

Use ebay not as described for a return and tell EBay you want the seller to be responsible for shipping both ways. A phone call to their suppprt might be best and ask for a case number if you do.

Yeah - the faceplate would have been perfect. Makes me feel like I'm taking money back from the poor....

I'll ask the seller to refund me $80 - if he says no then I have to decide to keep it or ship it back with ebay's ok.

I assume ebay wouldn't issue a partial refund if it gets to that point?

Why eat ANYTHING, ship it back for full refund including shipping!

Sorry for your loss. It always hurts when shit is packed poorly and gets damaged. Doubly so when it's a near impossible to find item.....

It always hurts when shit is packed poorly and gets damaged. Doubly so when it's a near impossible to find item.....

And that's the real pisser - these rarely show up. I have a huge weakness for the Kenwood Audio Club PX variants.

The seller was very responsive and apologetic. I asked for and received a $100 refund which I believe is fair. Thanks to all for the help and advice.

And that's the real pisser - these rarely show up. I have a huge weakness for the Kenwood Audio Club PX variants.

The seller was very responsive and apologetic. I asked for and received a $100 refund which I believe is fair. Thanks to all for the help and advice.
Right, I like the unusual stuff, that's why I bought a working 8011, just needed some TLC & a 120v usa power cord & a new power switch, the 220 European voltage was hard on it apparently. Also why I anodize faceplates....wink.

Kenwood KA-5750. Pretty scarce amp - first I've seen for sale in a few years of looking.

Poorly packed by ebay seller. The ad clearly stated no returns - use buyer protection.

Should I go straight to ebay? What likely outcome could I expect? Thanks for any advice...

No returns means nothing. You can return anything within a certain time limit. In this case, the guy packed poorly (assumed) which contributed to shipping damage. Open a return case and include pictures of damage.

Re: original boxes, I would not want anything shipped solely in its original box. Because the original packing was meant to stack on a pallet handled by a forklift, not to survive being thrown around individually and dropped 6 ft. onto concrete. Or having things punched through it. Many of those boxes have fitted foam inserts that leave the sides, top and bottom unprotected from box punctures.

The original box DOES have the advantage of keeping pressure off the face plate and knobs.

If you want to double box with rigid foam between the two boxes, now we're talking. :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom