Sansui TU919

cantonkid

i hope someone can give me a full parts list for the upgrade mod on this tuner with all that should be replaced also to make this last .
i am going to do the restore on it and then take it to a guy for alignment .
any help is thanked in advance for your time

HiFi Engine has the service manual that gives you the entire part list.
But unfortunately Service Manual parts lists seldom kept pace with engineering changes. You can use it as a guide, but only backed up by an audit of your own unit and exactly what parts are in it now.

The same goes for anybody else's recap parts list - which could be correct for their unit - but not necessarily for yours.

Last edited:
But unfortunately Service Manual parts lists seldom kept pace with engineering changes. You can use it as a guide, but only backed up by an audit of your own unit and exactly what parts are in it now.

The same goes for anybody else's recap parts list - which could be correct for their unit - but not necessarily for yours.

so what would you recommend Hyperion ? are some brand names really that much better than others in todays caps and other parts for these mods

so what would you recommend Hyperion ? are some brand names really that much better than others in todays caps and other parts for these mods
It's more about what capacitor is appropriate to use and where to use it in my opinion. Everyone who does restorations and quite a few others who don't, have their own opinions on this, there is no one right answer. As a restorer, you do what works for you - personally I always think about what capacitor I am using and where I am using it, but there is much more to a proper restoration than simply discussion about capacitor brands and which is best.

Last edited:
well your well respected and i am asking so i can do this ,as i find over reading just confuses me . i am trying to do this as simple as i can. i want to use parts that will work well and are proven is all .

Sansui and the other Japanese manufactures of the era used ordinary general purpose electrolytic caps in almost all applications. They used caps from the three major Japanese suppliers interchangeably. Almost any modern electrolytic cap is better than what was available then. Don't over think it.

- Pete

Last edited:
Keeping it simple you would do very well if you used for example 'Panasonic FC' to replace the electrolytics, there will be very few of the other types that it would be advantageous to replace. You might find some 'Polyester' or 'Mylar' films which could be replaced with advantage with Polypropylene types for example.

this all makes sense to me , the amp is going to get a go over also as the black flags have been done by the tech that has aligned this tuner and will redo it again after a restore .
mostly i don't understand why there isn't a list of replacements listed here as i have read many times about schematics being wrong caps backwards , if the list and placement was posted by the guys like Hyperion,Kevzep and others that have done this and found out what works better in all these restores it sure would make it great for those of us that like to restore themselves .

The reason there isn't a list is because of the first response by Hyperion, stuff inside changes, use what you have in your unit.
There is also the difference in what caps folks like to use. Some are Nichicon guys others like the Panasonic. Seems many here want long life high temperature caps. I like to pick colorful caps and the gold-black or black-gold of some of Nichicon audio grade caps is so much nicer than the flat brown of an Elna Silmic II.

Now when you learn about what a cap is doing, in the power supply for smoothing, in the audio path or part of a tone circuit, you can select caps for that purpose but for just a list of stuff to replace, you gotta put some sweat equity into it. This isn't a process of someone doing everything but swapping the caps for you. This is why there isn't a detailed list for every unit that has been done by someone. Many don't post lists of what went into a unit and when you get to TOTL units there are fewer of them out there and it may not be a unit lots of folks have done before. The idea that the warnings about Black Flags (more of a skiing gate since it has two legs) and SM and board errors is what is really needed for all this gear. The rest, most folks can work through it.

Good luck with the rebuild, should be fun.

Suzuki and the other Japanese manufactures of the era used ordinary general purpose electrolytic caps in almost all applications. They used caps from the three major Japanese suppliers interchangeably. Almost any modern electrolytic cap is better than what was available then. Don't over think it.

- Pete

Food for thought - If the quality (specification and tolerances) of available components (capacitors, resistors, trimmers) is better now than when the product was originally released, would a restored Tuner/receiver/Amp sound better than it did when it was originally released? :idea:

We will never know. Either originally or restored with modern components Sansui's routinely produced a sound quality beyond human hearing. What you couldn't hear then, you still can't hear now.

- Pete

The reason there isn't a list is because of the first response by Hyperion, stuff inside changes, use what you have in your unit.
There is also the difference in what caps folks like to use. Some are Nichicon guys others like the Panasonic. Seems many here want long life high temperature caps. I like to pick colorful caps and the gold-black or black-gold of some of Nichicon audio grade caps is so much nicer than the flat brown of an Elna Silmic II.

Now when you learn about what a cap is doing, in the power supply for smoothing, in the audio path or part of a tone circuit, you can select caps for that purpose but for just a list of stuff to replace, you gotta put some sweat equity into it. This isn't a process of someone doing everything but swapping the caps for you. This is why there isn't a detailed list for every unit that has been done by someone. Many don't post lists of what went into a unit and when you get to TOTL units there are fewer of them out there and it may not be a unit lots of folks have done before. The idea that the warnings about Black Flags (more of a skiing gate since it has two legs) and SM and board errors is what is really needed for all this gear. The rest, most folks can work through it.

Good luck with the rebuild, should be fun.

i still think in general there is a list, sure there might be something missing but while waiting for the parts if needed i could be adding the new i have from the list

Back
Top Bottom