TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Did anyone here tried to use any of these 6j1 preamp with headphone amplifier using RCA cables?? The chain: Source> DAC> 6J1 preamp> Headphone amp

The little dot I+ is a hybrid tube headphone amp that uses 6j1 tubes. It can also use EF95, and 6AK5 tubes. As well as roll op amps. Yes I have one.

I’m running my little 6j1 pre with rocket logo 6ak5 tubes to the Volt+D, which is feeding DIY Sound Group’s Titan 615lx speakers in our HT system. (Please forgive the wire mess—I’ve been adding some elements to this system over the past week and I need to go back and do some wire management. Also, I threw the 6j1 pre into the system while my daughter was taking a nap, so no time to be neat :D)

It sounds great. I can’t decide whether I prefer this little pre over the Sainsmart (which you can see sitting on top of the cheap Franklin Audio amp in a wooden box), but it sounds better than I remember. I prefer the 6ak5 tubes to the JAN 5654w tubes I had in it.

C17F99CE-FCC6-45C5-A4C6-CF3F63CF36A7.jpeg 2A1650B5-488D-48B7-B65B-2006F1AB334D.jpeg 7A374DFA-3B2A-470B-A56B-7159EF58365E.jpeg

Last edited:
The little dot I+ is a hybrid tube headphone amp that uses 6j1 tubes. It can also use EF95, and 6AK5 tubes. As well as roll op amps. Yes I have one.
Yes i know that...but we were talking about Fx tube 01 or Nobsound to be used as preamp in case of headphones like Sennheiser HD6XX (i have that)....so anyone has tried it yet??

What a kick I'm getting from the Volt+D, FX preamp, Topping D30 and Chrome Cast Audio. For a total of $274 I can't imagine a better return on one's investment. Some folks would drop that much on a pair of placebo cables.

View attachment 1343342

Just finishing breakfast and then I will be hooking up mine soon. Cant wait.

And Poultrygeist. Come one now. Placebo cables? You mean my $1200 worth of rca cables aren't the reason why i feel like Les Claypool is playing a private concert for me in my room? Lol

I’m running my little 6j1 pre with rocket logo 6ak5 tubes to the Volt+D, which is feeding DIY Sound Group’s Titan 615lx speakers in our HT system. (Please forgive the wire mess—I’ve been adding some elements to this system over the past week and I need to go back and do some wire management. Also, I threw the 6j1 pre into the system while my daughter was taking a nap, so no time to be neat :D)

It sounds great. I can’t decide whether I prefer this little pre over the Sainsmart (which you can see sitting on top of the cheap Franklin Audio amp in a wooden box), but it sounds better than I remember. I prefer the 6ak5 tubes to the JAN 5654w tubes I had in it.

View attachment 1344367 View attachment 1344368 View attachment 1344370

That set up is ridiculous. I wish i had the skills for DIY stuff but i am not even going to attempt it. Which Marantz avr are you running? I have an NR1608 in my living room.

That set up is ridiculous. I wish i had the skills for DIY stuff but i am not even going to attempt it. Which Marantz avr are you running? I have an NR1608 in my living room.

Thanks! Mine is an older NR1603 I got for cheap on CL. Eventually I’ll upgrade it, but it’s not a priority atm.

DIY stuff is super fun and addicting. I’ve gotten better at reading crossover schematics and assembly, but I’m still just dipping my toes in compared to some people. I will say the Titans are absolutely fantastic. Highly efficient, massive output, and not fatiguing in my experience. The waveguides create a great soundstage and a very convincing phantom center.

Nice setup! The speakers look interesting.
Is the PC a media streamer ?

You mean my $1200 worth of rca cables aren't the reason
What sorta RCA cables are these ?

Last edited:
About to unwrap. I know. Its super exciting Amazon packaging.

Attachments

• 20181201_115806.jpg
    20181201_115806.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 31
Nice setup! The speakers look interesting.
Is the PC a media streamer ?

The speakers are a blast. The designer, Matt Grant, knows his stuff.

The PC is used as a server for movies I’ve ripped. We currently use Rokus around the house, and the server is easily accessible via the network from any TV. My wife also uses it for Illustrator, and I game on it as well. We use it a lot.

Platinum and diamonds. Cryogenic treated cables. Lol. Nah, $19.99 Ethereal rca's from accessories4less.

This is what i've been using with the TPA setups.
I made a few of these with different wire gauges to try and voice the system.
Rean connectors and magnet wire.

interconnects.jpg

Last edited:
Quick question. The tubes were a little hard to push in. How do you know if the tubes are in completely? They seem pretty secure and I am assuming that I would be getting no sound or horrible sounding sound if they were not in properly.

Quick question. The tubes were a little hard to push in. How do you know if the tubes are in completely? They seem pretty secure and I am assuming that I would be getting no sound or horrible sounding sound if they were not in properly.

You will know it if they aren't seated in their socket. Takes some downward pressure but the board feels like it can take it. If they feel tight they probably are.

IMG_20181125_152540.jpg
Allo D plus,the mighty Kenwood 7090 CD player,REL Q-200E[200 watts]sub and Tannoy Red Monitors.
Dreamy upper mids when suddenly Messiaen produces the lowest notes on the organ and the house shivers.
Truly addictive set-up which im hoping to augment with the arrival today of another FX tube buffer.
Im pretty chuffed,not to say excited and cant wait to turn the system on in the morning after coffee.:):beatnik::)
The Operas ready for duty with the ALLO today,slotting in the new unit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom