What cartridge are you currently using on main deck

Does anyone have any experience with the Ortophon 2M Black. I've heard some really good things about it, and I wonder if it would be a substantial upgrade from my V15-IV.
(TD 160 w TP16)

I've just upgraded my 2M Bronze to a Black. It's a stunning cartridge but I have no idea how it compares to your Shure - it's been decades since I heard one.

I have a GS Era V phono stage - the 2M's need low capacitance so yours should be ideal. - t/t SL1210/Roksan Tabriz.

@Ilikevinyl
I notice you have an SME on your TD160.
I have an SME Series 2 tonearn that picked up at an auction for $150 cad. It's dirty from lying around somewhere, and I have to get a 5g? bias weight for it, they're about $40. But with a cleanup and such, it should be fine.
The SME would certainly cure any compliance issues, but I hesitate to remove the TP16 cuz it's really such a nice piece of engineering.
The SME came with a Shure M75. Needs a stylus, but I'm curious as to how it would sound.

Dave

@lazycat
Okay, thanks for the insight. I think the 2M Black is the cart I'll eventually move up to.
I have the GSP Reflex M phono stage, so I suppose I would get similar results.
There's so many great carts available, I guess ya just have to zero in on one and take the plunge. I listen to Jazz, Classical (I love strings), 70's (real) classic rock, and a touch of good pop. (I consider Beatles to be pop).
Oops ...

Dave

@Ilikevinyl
I notice you have an SME on your TD160.
I have an SME Series 2 tonearn that picked up at an auction for $150 cad. It's dirty from lying around somewhere, and I have to get a 5g? bias weight for it, they're about $40. But with a cleanup and such, it should be fine.
The SME would certainly cure any compliance issues, but I hesitate to remove the TP16 cuz it's really such a nice piece of engineering.
The SME came with a Shure M75. Needs a stylus, but I'm curious as to how it would sound.

Dave

I would just leave the TP16 Thorens tonearm on, it is a nice tonearm! The Denon 160 is a good match for the TP16 arm. Nagaoka cartridges is another excellent match! Make sure your Thorens arm is lined up properly in the pivot housing! Notice the line on the tonearm right next to the pivot housing. There's also a line on the pivot housing itself. Both lines should line up, being a single line. If the arm doesn't line up, you have to adjust the vertical arm bearings. Forgot what socket you need. I had to do that when my Thorens arm was mounted. It was off to one side. Adjusted it so it was precisely lined up! When it's lined up, the arm is precisely centered in the four pivot housing!

There's some Threads about which stylus is the best for the Shure M75 cartridge. Do a search on AK. All the threads will show about that cartridge.

@Ilikevinyl
Thanks so much for all tha great info. It's a big help. The TD160 can be a tad finicky, and I'd really like it to be operating as close to spec as possible.
And I'll look around for some M75 info on AK.
It' actually an M75-6, I don't know if that matters.
And I also have an Audio Techica AT3482P, but I think it just a low end cart.

Dave

Still breaking in an old NOS Ortofon F-15E MKII I acquired a while back. It loves the carbon arm on my mmf 2.3
I use the same cartridge, only on a Kenwood KD5070.
My KD550 uses a VMS 15xxx something replacement stylus on a VMS 20eMkII body. The medium mass arm was a bit to much for the VMS20 higher compliance.

@Ilikevinyl
Thanks so much for all tha great info. It's a big help. The TD160 can be a tad finicky, and I'd really like it to be operating as close to spec as possible.
And I'll look around for some M75 info on AK.
It' actually an M75-6, I don't know if that matters.
And I also have an Audio Techica AT3482P, but I think it just a low end cart.

Dave

The TD-160 is one of the great classic turntables! I would also suggest that you have a genuine Thorens brand platter belt! It has the Thorens logo printed on the belt. Here is a great website for tweaking a Thorens turntable. Very valuable information about Thorens turntables!

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_dept_.htm

Back
Top Bottom