Choices for a credenza in an office

charne@sprin

Fell in love with music, then hiked the tech trail
Subscriber
Have a McIntosh MA5200 integrated amp and considering new speakers. I figure a pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers will fit on the credenza facing my desk. I see them offered for sale ~~~ $500 on CraigsList pretty regularly. But is there a better choice from Klipsch? Floor standing not possible. I'm figuring that Heresys are about the largest boxes that can fit on the credenza. New Crites crossovers are a likely upgrade on any speakers > 20 years old.

A traditional credenza might be a bit on the "too tall" side for the Heresy's. Another issue (and I don't know what your idea of a credenza is), but mine is a closed hollow cabinet with doors/drawers, so you might run into some major resonance issues.

Have you considered the rp160s? Maybe even go powered and audition a set of The Sixes. I have heard they are very nice and they are plug and play.

A traditional credenza might be a bit on the "too tall" side for the Heresy's. Another issue (and I don't know what your idea of a credenza is), but mine is a closed hollow cabinet with doors/drawers, so you might run into some major resonance issues.
My credenza, actually is a granite table top sitting on two granite bases, with a large freestanding wooden cd cabinet under it. The table top is pretty solid -- the granite, itself rests on a 3/4" plywood base.

My credenza, actually is a granite table top sitting on two granite bases, with a large freestanding wooden cd cabinet under it. The table top is pretty solid -- the granite, itself rests on a 3/4" plywood base.

Then you should be fine--sounds like you have a solid/non-resonant substrate, but I still don't know about putting Heresy's that high up off the floor--they are not exactly bookshelf monitors--they are better on the floor, or short risers--but you can try :thumbsup:.Just keep in mind, that's going to put those horns right at ear-level, which you might not be happy with.

RB62 or any of the newer two ways will play lower than the Heresy and will integrate better in a near field application compared to a three way. A pair of 6,5" woofers will surprise you with how loud and powerful they can sound.
What's an RB62? (I kind of stopped paying attention after the Heritage series.)

some of Klipsch's bookshelves might be nice with that Mac...I can recommend RB-5/RB-5 lls ($200-300 or so depending on condition), kg2s(under $200), RB-75s ($500 plus) but they will be pricey...good luck

Bill

agree with Silversport that the RB75 is the best two way Klipsch has built, same compression driver as used in the RF7.

What's an RB62? (I kind of stopped paying attention after the Heritage series.)
New school, old school!

The only new klispch ... that has seriously tempted me is the Klipsch 6's! https://www.klipsch.com/products/the-sixes

I can't say I have ever heard any of the Klipsch's, other than heritage line myself?? But the newer stuff seems to have it's fans also! :)

Most likely the Heresy's, would look awkward on a "credenza" but the "Heresy's" are classic Klipsch! If you like the sound of the Heresy's??? You have "zero chance " of fitting any thing other then those on a, "Credenza" in the "heritage line" save for the Sixes???

But the newer line RF/RB "size" was a consideration and those you should be able to find and audition for yourself and see what "you" think about how they sound?? The "Heritage line stuff??" You don't really need to hear?? They only get better as they get bigger! I wanted Heresy's back in the day but I settled for kg 4's, no Heresy's around at the time?? Geez 20 years ago??? I still have them so good enough. But KG 4's would look, kinda awkward on a "credenza" I would think?? :)

Back
Top Bottom