finally a good setup with my CA-800

parris

I haven't posted here in a long time only because if I had any questions looking at the multiple good threads would go a long way in answering them.

I've had a few pieces of Yamaha gear for many years that I've been happy with except for the temporary way I've had to have things setup due to space etc. We finally reclaimed our basement family room from the clutches of "too much shit-itis". This meant that we could add a good tv, seating, etc to make it a good place to hang out in. The big thing for me is that it also meant that I've finally got a home for my gear that although for the most part modest I really enjoy. The centerpiece of the whole thing is my CA-800 that I've owned for just about 30 years.

There's "better" gear out there I know but with the possible exception of the speakers and eventually turntable I'm pretty happy with how things have come together. Even after owning the amp for the time that I have I'm still gobsmacked at times with just HOW good the darn thing really lets the music through. Anyway here's a photo to share.https://photos.app.goo.gl/S99iMb4fSTDXuwfg8

The CA-800 is a nice unit, worth spending a little money on it sometime in the future. But first bring the rest on the system up to standard.
Also, should you see a CA-1000 in the dumpster...

Mbz thanks for the reply. I do plan to have some work done to the CA-800 given it's age and use it's just the smart thing to do. There's a shop that did work on my CR-420 several years ago to bring that back to life. They have a decent rep but I'm thinking of trying to find a different shop due to a few niggles with the other job.

I also keep my eyes peeled for additional Yamaha gear because I really do enjoy listening to music through it. I've put the little 420 together with a basic turntable and some small Infinity bookshelf speakers over the last week and have it running in what was our third bedroom but has evolved into a home office. THAT little setup is wonderful in how sweet it sounds in the small space.

Since both the amp and receiver are running well the thing that I've been looking at are some new speakers for the main system. There's so many options that it can make me throw my hands up and say "ENOUGH"! Part of that is the waf of course. She thinks that the PSB book shelf's are too big as it is...

Reactions: mbz
The CA-800/CA-1000 (same mechanics) is a pain in the butt to refurb, takes a few extra hours so don't
be disheartened if the cost is a little high. Know a guy up north who has been through the separates and
always comes back to his CA-1000, his MX-1000 is for sale. I did some work on his CA-1000, it is special,
clearly much better than my refurb'd CA-1000. The CA-800 is very decent.

Tubed I know that it appears that there's a ton of gear on top of the amp but the shelf is actually supported via brackets in the cabinet and the cd player in addition to not being heavy is sitting on spacers to maintain airflow. It's not ideal I know and I may change things around a bit still. For now I have to take several things into account with the setup.

A (restored) CA-800 is (EDIT) FWIW my go to soiled solid state amplifier -- on those occasions when I "need" to use a solid state amplifier.
Especially in Class A it is a very sweet, "hifi" sounding (in the best possible sense of that term) amplifier, IMO.

DSC_0184 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_0180 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Interesting, Mark. You block your profile and share your photo album, which I found fascinating! It looks like you live in a wonderful space! Thanks for all the old time adverts too. Your Argus reminds me of 12 year old who got hold of a C3 and started taking nature photos (me), was going to be a nature photographer>>zookeeper..veterinarian>>VW mechanic!!
Your animal photos are great and you have a large variety, wherever that is.

DONE! Whew-that was a lot of photos. Still left wondering where after all the nature stuff including bobcats and coyote and bear!
I'd guess Connecticut, but I'd prolly be wrong!
Sorry for the thread-crap. I was here cause I like Yamahas too.:)

Back
Top Bottom