What cartridge are you currently using on main deck

You've got your mounting screws in upside down...
View attachment 1347204

No, that's the correct way, with the nuts on top. The nuts can damage the cartridge body, so it's best to have them on top of the headshell. Also gives much better clearance with the screw head on the bottom.

When using a Technics headshell, the nuts on top fit perfectly in the slots so they don't turn, much easier to mount.

No, that's the correct way, with the nuts on top. The nuts can damage the cartridge body, so it's best to have them on top of the headshell. Also gives much better clearance with the screw head on the bottom.

When using a Technics headshell, the nuts on top fit perfectly in the slots so they don't turn, much easier to mount.
Agreed, I posted a picture of MY cartridge to illustrate to @plastico the correct orientation per the Audio-Technica instructions :)

Agreed, I posted a picture of MY cartridge to illustrate to @plastico the correct orientation per the Audio-Technica instructions :)
So, after reading this I went and looked at my instructions that came with the ART9 cart. Sho enuff, there it is with the cart upside down and the head of the screws going through the bottom. But I take it these mounting instructions are for detachable headshells. Cause how in the world can you adjust any cart with the nuts on top of an arm with a non detachable headshell?

Using instructions as a guide, you choose which application works for you. Think methodically and anything you imagine can happen. I can think of some fixed headshell applications which could use the nuts up top, if the arm allowed that...

My reference decks have vintage moving coil carts, like an Ortofon SPU GT on a long SME on one deck and a FR-7 (Fidelity Research) on a FR-64S arm. A sweeter sound than the very neutral FR-7 can be had with a GAS Sleeping Beauty, but there is nothing as sweet sounding as the original SPU-GT or GTE.

I
So, after reading this I went and looked at my instructions that came with the ART9 cart. Sho enuff, there it is with the cart upside down and the head of the screws going through the bottom. But I take it these mounting instructions are for detachable headshells. Cause how in the world can you adjust any cart with the nuts on top of an arm with a non detachable headshell?
I've got the same arm as you, the nuts that came with my cartridge are round and slotted, which allows them to be tightened when on top. I thought it would be harder to mount and align this cartridge than ones with the scew heads on top, but it really isn't. First time is the hardest, easier once you get past the initial time.

@Ilikevinyl
Wow, great Thorens website. That's gonna be helpful.
And I did manage to get a genuine Thorens belt with the name printed on it. I got the belt, and an original platter mat from a US site that also specializes in Thorens TTs. They have motors and stuff as well.
I mentioned earlier that I have an SME Series 2 tonearm that I will be refurbishing, and I think I'll look for a TT only, to mount it on. I guess a Thorens 150 or 160. I've read that the tonearm on the 150 was a bit of a weak point, so there must be some kicking around without the arm.

Dave

I keep going back to the '84 Grado Signature 8MR that Marc Morin provided me a few years ago. Even amongst other Grados, that one is pretty special.

@Ilikevinyl
Wow, great Thorens website. That's gonna be helpful.
And I did manage to get a genuine Thorens belt with the name printed on it. I got the belt, and an original platter mat from a US site that also specializes in Thorens TTs. They have motors and stuff as well.
I mentioned earlier that I have an SME Series 2 tonearm that I will be refurbishing, and I think I'll look for a TT only, to mount it on. I guess a Thorens 150 or 160. I've read that the tonearm on the 150 was a bit of a weak point, so there must be some kicking around without the arm.

Dave

The TD-150 has a tonearm mounting board that you can swap out tonearms. I would look for that Thorens model. Also, look for a Kenwood KD-500 for your SME tonearm.

I don't like the original Thorens TD-160 platter mat. I've tried all kinds of DIY platter mats! Using a DIY leather suede mat, with foam rubber underneath. This combo has the best sound. The Thorens mat has more surface noise compared to all of the other platter mats I've used. That's an easy upgrade tweak, try a different platter mat!

IMO the 2M Blue is definitely worth the extra bucks over a red, I've tried both.

I would have to agree. I have both the Blue and the Red running side by side on two Pl-630's. Played a song with the Red. A little scratchy. Played it on the Blue. Dead quiet. You do get what you pay for...Sometimes. But where do you draw the line?

@Ilikevinyl
Ok, I'll research the Kenwood KD-500. Nice to have another choice.
And interesting about the stock mat. I'll have to try a homemade one and see if it improves the sound. I've got those materials.
Great suggestions.

Dave

@Ilikevinyl
Ok, I'll research the Kenwood KD-500. Nice to have another choice.
And interesting about the stock mat. I'll have to try a homemade one and see if it improves the sound. I've got those materials.
Great suggestions.

Dave

Yes, try a leather mat. Sounds natural, warm and rich sounding. You'll have to report back, will be interested in what your findings will be.

I would have to agree. I have both the Blue and the Red running side by side on two Pl-630's. Played a song with the Red. A little scratchy. Played it on the Blue. Dead quiet. You do get what you pay for...Sometimes. But where do you draw the line?

I drew it at the blue.... I just can't bring myself to come up with more cash for something which wears out. Even then, I usually use other carts now, and save the blue for when I want everything to sound the best.

Still some day I'm going to need an MC. I repaired a table with an ortofon quartet on it, and man it sounded great!

Back
Top Bottom