Upcoming Build—RH84

Tysen

Hi Folks,

I'm going to build a RH84 SEP amp after Christmas. I have all the parts except for output transformers. I think I'm going to start off with some Edcors.

Firstly, is there any different other than the bell between the XSE & the GSXE series?

My main dilemma is figuring out if I should go with 16ohm taps, or 8. My main system is an Altec two-way, 16ohm, however, most of my speaker collection is 8ohm.

Is it smart to just build with an 8ohm tap due to future versatility?

Happy holidays!

Ask Edcor. Sometimes they will make you a version with the taps you request. Maybe you can get both.

Firstly, is there any different other than the bell between the XSE & the GSXE series?
XSE is an economy product with more limited low-frequency response. RH84 style amps don't include the output transformer in the feedback loop, so transformer performance is an even bigger factor than usual.

Thanks Mike!

Good (and sad) to hear of the impact OTs will make. My budget is limited....

I'm looking at the Raphaelite OTs on eBay. Does anybody have any thoughts on those?

The real no-brainer in the budget OPT game seems to have been the defunct James out of Taiwan.

While I haven't heard much about Raphaelite, they talk a good game. Though I believe that, for similar money, I'd look at the Transcendar 7w or 10w OPTs.

I'm in the same boat, planning an RH84 Ver. 2 build. I'm going to leave chassis real-estate open for bigger topside output transformers, but roll with mounting my Akai (Orion Electric) OPTs below deck. I was going to buy a pair of new transformers, but the Akai seem to be roughly the same size as the Edcor GXSE10-5K, so I thought "the hell with it".

And if you're paying somebody to wind iron for you, pay them for both 8 and 16 ohm taps - you'll never be satisfied elsewise.

Back
Top Bottom