The Luxman treasure found!

Galaxie65

Always looking for new gear to try
So, I'm sure most of you were aware of my other thread on which tube amp to pick. Well I happened to meet an amazing gentleman who also has a love for audio. I got to talking with him and he told me about some Luxman's that he had laying around his home. After some more chatting back and forth I decided that I wanted to buy the Luxman's from him. This would require me having to drive 5 1/2-6hrs one way, borrow my wife's car, get out of work for a day, and burn the midnight oil on a straight there and back along with some big money.

So needless to say I start the journey and along the way have some interesting things occur. Almost hit a few deer, was almost side swiped by two semi's, and passed a ton of accidents. Throughout the drive it was hairy at times with the roads iced over and the wind blowing everything sideways. But at last, I made it safe and sound to the house. Inside is just an amazing array of audio, Quad ESL 57's that look showroom condition. The Luxman are on the variac and warming up for the demo. I gaze in awe at the collection of vinyl that is sitting before me. Etta James is playing in the background through the ESL's, just unbelievable. I've never seen such a mint pair and just sounding so amazing.

I sit down and listen to the Luxman's fire up, the sound is lush and rich. Notes are effortless before me and everything sounds like the band is in the living room. I was happy and paid the man with grins all around. I loaded everything up and headed back out. This time going through a few national forests, more snow, more wind and of course more deer. After just under 700 miles I was tired and needed to sleep, but of course was hard to with such a prize in the other room!

I had to go right back to work and wont have anytime to play with them until the weekend. That might even be wishful thinking as my wife has plans for us naturally and I'm sure it doesn't include audio time lol.

Here is a pic or two for those curious minds! I'll have to pull out the rigs and set them up for a group photo.

Oh, did I mention that I bought 3 pairs? That's right, 2 pairs of Luxman MB3045s and a pair of Luxman A3000's. They are identical in everyway aside from the A3000's needing 100AC but that doesn't bother me. I'm just happy to have some fun in the house, they are not all perfect and operational, but I'll go through the process to bring them to that point!

Nice story! Superb amps.
That's a nice Christmas present you've made yourself ;)
Congratulations. :beerchug:

Please let us know how they sound.

Flip the 100v models over and see if there is a 117v tap on the transformer. A lot of Japanese gear had that. If thats the case, moving one wire will eliminate the need for a step-down trafo.

Do yours have the original output tubes or have they been converted to a KT88 or 6550 type? I've heard a pair with 6550's, but I'd love a chance to hear them with original outputs sometime.

Were those from an AKer? If not you were close to one that has Quads and has talked about the MB3045s.

Might as well get a pair modded to the Ultralinear mod and a pair wired for Triode operation as Luxman calls them and see what the differences are. @gadget73 has been wanting to rewire mine to the other mod of operation and I'm all for it just to see how it performs. Maybe I ought to check to see if I have the parts needed to do this and have him over to listen, mod and then relisten to them to see what the differences are. Sure would be easier with two pair.

Get back to work on that Cougar. You have too many distractions going on.

Thought all your spare cash and time was going to go into the Merc? :rflmao:

Seriously those are beautiful amps, and what a story too just never know when gear will find you.

Back
Top Bottom