Pioneer CT-F1250 or Tascam 122 MKIII

kevzep

Its all about the Music
I play/record a lot of cassettes, I have a Tascam 122 MKII which I really like, but I always wanted a Pioneer CT-F1250.
However, this is a dream I had when I was younger, and frankly I really like the sound, performance and reliability of the Tascam I have. But I need another deck, and I thought maybe its time to live that dream and get the Pioneer, except the practical side of me says get the Tascam 122MKIII...
What the consensus with all you tape heads here.
I realise its a little subjective and personal taste is involved, but it will help me make a decision.

Well that Pioneer sure looks bad ass ...
When I was 18, I started saving for one as most of my music was played on cassette and because that Pioneer looked Bad Ass!!, but I am not sure what happened, I think I got talked into a TEAC by a salesman....I had that TEAC until I completely wore the head out, and bought my first Tascam, a 2 head 112 in the mid 2000's, then about 5 years after that I found the 122MKII I have now.
But you cannot, in my experience, beat the Tascam 122 line of decks, they perform extremely well...but that Pioneer looks like the SHIZZ it has to be said!!

I don't use Metal tape as I found it to wear the heads out pretty quick, I chewed through my Hitachi and Aiwa decks in the 80's pretty quickly with metal tapes, so I stick to Chrome these days.

I’ve read that the old type metal tapes did that. I’ve also read that that had been corrected. That being said, the Chromium Dioxide tapes of the 90s are supposed to perform pretty well at that level.

I mostly use Chrome too. Metal tapes are so expensive!

That Pioneer is really nice. Never heard one though.

teac_z-6000_cassette_deck.jpg

I was seduced by a Teac years ago as well.
I had a flouroscan Pioneer as well (which never worked quite right for me ) ( maybe CTF900?)
:idea:

For the record (pun intended)
I've since sworn off cassettes

Last edited:
Had a 1250, liked it alot, more than my Dragon. Cool factor was up there and it made great tapes. Now that it's approaching 40 years old and has been discontinued for some time I let it go to my kid to tinker with. If I were in your shoes I think I would be inclined to look at the Tascam.

Just my $.02

Tascam all the way. Don't get me wrong--the Pioneer decks looked really "bad-ass", and were decent decks (prone to maintenance issues), but tape was not Pioneer's forte. Tape was the forte for Tascam/TEAC, and their performance was superior.

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses, I suspected as much, I really like my Tascam 122 MKII, I put new belts and tires in it recently, its a damn fine deck very reliable and sounds great, and I think now I will leave my childhood fantasies behind and get the 122MKIII, I know its the better deck....

I’ve read that the old type metal tapes did that. I’ve also read that that had been corrected. That being said, the Chromium Dioxide tapes of the 90s are supposed to perform pretty well at that level.

I mostly use Chrome too. Metal tapes are so expensive!

That Pioneer is really nice. Never heard one though.
I think the Chrome tapes of the 90's are indeed the sweet spot, I keep buying them, Maxell's and TDK's.....
I get the odd late '80's ones sometimes as when I see them and open them up it reminds of those days gone by...

I think now I will leave my childhood fantasies behind...

Aaw, don't do THAT! Gotta keep those fantasies alive. At least the legal ones. :beerchug:

I have a Tascam 122 Mk III and like it a lot after I cleaned it up, replaced the gunked up white grease on the gears, and recapped the motor board.

Aaw, don't do THAT! Gotta keep those fantasies alive. At least the legal ones. :beerchug:

I have a Tascam 122 Mk III and like it a lot after I cleaned it up, replaced the gunked up white grease on the gears, and recapped the motor board.
Well indeed we do, but I know the Tascam is a much better machine.....Maybe I'll get a Pioneer in the future...

I’ve fulfilled my Audio fantasies a couple of times, and it just wasn’t the same. I ended up moving on the items after playing with them for a while and realizing I now had better.

Back
Top Bottom