Altec 355A. What is it worth?

Fourthav

Hello! First time posting here, but I’ve always valued the discussions found on this site. It’s a great resource and community! Anyway, I have an Altec 355A mono tube HIFI amp and it’s been in storage for years, but it’s in pretty good condition. From what I understand it’s a bit of a rare piece. I was hoping someone on here may be able to help me with what the current value of something like this is. I do like the thing, and it sounds great! I just need to lighten the load a bit. I get nervous putting stuff like this on eBay, because if the value isn’t there then it’s not really worth the time and energy to post and ship it. Any Help or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank!

Attachments

• 887C7545-208A-41F5-8A0D-66E829B3216C.jpeg
    887C7545-208A-41F5-8A0D-66E829B3216C.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 56340947-A00E-49FD-96FC-15684430297D.jpeg
    56340947-A00E-49FD-96FC-15684430297D.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 9DDE32E6-48C7-4AF2-8751-43075224B8B1.jpeg
    9DDE32E6-48C7-4AF2-8751-43075224B8B1.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 90
Hi and welcome to AK! Nice old unit. For discussions of value, there's a forum in AK called "Dollars and Sense" for that purpose. Discussions of value in the other forums are discouraged. Ask the moderator to move your post there and you'll likely get some informed commentary on what this unit may be worth. Good luck with it!

Hi and welcome to AK! Nice old unit. For discussions of value, there's a forum in AK called "Dollars and Sense" for that purpose. Discussions of value in the other forums are discouraged. Ask the moderator to move your post there and you'll likely get some informed commentary on what this unit may be worth. Good luck with it!
Thank you!

Did you check completed ebay listings? Is it rare enough you don't see them for sale?

Also look in the Tube forum and see if you find any posts on this model. Might give you some idea.

Did you check completed ebay listings? Is it rare enough you don't see them for sale?

Also look in the Tube forum and see if you find any posts on this model. Might give you some idea.
Thanks for the input!
I did check eBay current and completed listing and I didn’t find anything. I have been searching around here, but have yet to find anything, but I’m not giving up yet. It just seems so weird to me that in the age of technology and information that we live in, there can be so little information on something like this. I guess I’ve just been spoiled by the internet for too long. I’ve found manuels, but that’s about it.

Did you visit Lansing Heritage Forums? I don't hang out there myself but it's a mecca for all things Altec. One would think someone over there would have some info.

You can make an auto notification thing on ebay that will email you when "Altec 355A" comes up. It might take a while but it will save you a lot of looking by doing the looking for you.

Did you visit Lansing Heritage Forums? I don't hang out there myself but it's a mecca for all things Altec. One would think someone over there would have some info.

You can make an auto notification thing on ebay that will email you when "Altec 355A" comes up. It might take a while but it will save you a lot of looking by doing the looking for you.
Great ideas. I didn’t know about either of those. Thank you!

The only one I could find having sold was in 2011 for $200... I have a feeling those are worth a bit more than $200 today..

Did you visit Lansing Heritage Forums? I don't hang out there myself but it's a mecca for all things Altec. One would think someone over there would have some info

Have they been helpful with establishing a value over there?

The supply is pretty much fixed but demand for vintage tube gear certainly has changed over the years so who knows.

It's a mono amp. Limited desirability for a single except by someone that already has one to pair it with. My guess would be price it at 1/4 of what a similarly branded stereo amp sells for.

It's a mono amp. Limited desirability for a single except by someone that already has one to pair it with. My guess would be price it at 1/4 of what a similarly branded stereo amp sells for.
That’s kind of where I’m at right now. If I had a pair I probably wouldn’t want to let them go, but I personally am not that interested in a mono setup at this point. Only exception would be like you said, if I found somebody that already had one and really wanted a second. Thanks for the input! I’m sure that guys out there. Hold on.... I think I am that guy.:)

I looked around....checked HiFiShark....and found nothing.

Kinda strange. It must be a rare one for sure.

Back
Top Bottom