Rust on Ortofon RMG 212 - Reblue ?

klipschbro

Just picked up an Ortofon RMG 212. There is a rust spot on the counterweight. Has anyone refinished theirs?

Is the counterweight Brass or Bronze?

Has anyone sent theirs out to get hot blued?

It looks like I can remove the blueing with white vinegar, scotch brite the rust and re-blue with either of these solutions:

BROWNELLS - OXPHO-BLUE® CREME

Birchwood Casey Brass Black

sQoSfsx.jpg

https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/using-gun-bluing-on-brass-w-pics.105816/

Last edited:
Is that arm a 16" monster? What cartridge do you run on that? I do not think a blueing for brass will work on steel. The cold blueing's I have used, did not hold up under use for very long, and they were never even close to hot blueing.

This is the 9" arm. The 12" is the RMG 309. I am currently running an Ortofon SPU headshell with an Ortofon F15E. A total mismatch on compliance. Shopping around for an Ortofon SPU and SUT. Maybe I will just send it away for hot blueing. I am unsure if its brass or bronze, it definitely is not steel.

I have a RMG 309 on my bench, I will have to look at it more closely. Bronze does not rust, so it is on the surface only.

Have an RMG-212 that has a tiny spot or two of discolouration but not as noticeable
as on your counter weight.

That set screw within a set screw on the counter weight was an Ortofon tradition and the reason
the shafts get all marked up from unknowing users.

The 2 screws almost got me. While going over the tonearm, I removed the counterweight. I was definitely the first one to do that, as there was only one mark on the shaft from the set screw.

I got it! Brass screw counter clockwise. It took a little force to crack. I will be re-blueing soon and will update with the results.

IMG_20181207_235033.jpg

Cold blue get it de greased and hot ie boiling water and cold blue can look amazing. On a gun it wont be as resistant (cold blue) but a counter weight on a turntable that lives in the house just cold blue will be fine if done correctly.
Chris

This is the result of the creme. Brass black was not much better. Back to brass. I will probably send it away to get hot blued.

IMG_20181209_004239.jpg

Back
Top Bottom