Need info on subwoofer solution

videocast

I have an old Pioneer vsx ### and it only has an output for a powered subwoofer. I recently got a steal on a set of pioneer HT speaker set,but the sub is a passive sub. so what if anything can be done on the cheap to make it work. I have a Klipich powered sub in storage, but it is too big to use where we have the HT system. as you can see, I don't know how to spell Klipish. btw.. I didn't try to hook up the passive sub yet. I don't figure there would be enough signal to drive it. so.... any ideas?? thanks..Randy

thanks, but looking for amps, I seem to only find car amps. where does one go for 115 volt home use??
Most likely you need to better define your search terms?? But yeah these days car stuff shows up all the time online???

But here are a couple form Amazon.:
https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Source...sr=8-15&keywords=amazon+two+channel+home+amps

https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-M-5010...sr=8-16&keywords=amazon+two+channel+home+amps

And there are also these little odd duck "Class D" amps, I know nothing about them but they are kinda cute. :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XSBCCL/ref=twister_B07GNKPX8M?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

You need a power amp but before you commit, consider whether the cost of adding an amp to that box will be worth it, Many "subs" included with packaged HT systems, particularly passive subs, are hardly worth the squeeze.

thanks Chip...that's better than what I came up with.
You can find them on the "Bay" also but yeah everything throws up car "stuff!"
Something like this may be easier to hook up and adjust. You may want to build a frame or stand for it rather than cutting a hole into the subwoofer cabinet. Search for "subwoofer plate amp". Lots of choices between 25 and 1000 watts depending on budget.

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio...8-6&keywords=subwoofer+amplifier+home+theater
I don't think he is talking about ... adding a "Plate Amp" into the sub he has???

If the sub he has is truly from a HT in a Box ... then really it's not worth the trouble??? It turns out I have one of those?? Small ported sub, I think?? And it only has two speaker leads coming from it???

I'm using some small "Concord" speakers ... that I just knew had to suck?? But I found I like them!! But they don't have any bass to speak of??

I'm using a Sony HTR and apparently that Receiver, the five tiny speakers and that Sub are all from
the same HT in a Box??? I only realized that when I went, to hook up a "real sub" and found only spring clips for a sub hook up, on the back of the HTR, WTH???

Most likely it's something I got for free from neighbor?? It's actually not a bad little HTR??? It has only became a problem when I went to hook the sub!

It's in the bed room so lite duty anyway and using, my surprisingly listenable Concord speakers! And the Concords only became a "lack of bottom end" issue because the "living room system has bottom end ... and the bed room system does not! It was fun for awhile but the lack of "Bass" is getting old. :)

Oh well ... back on point, It sounds like you can use either a new amp or a powered sub??? And just going by what we know and perhaps I missed it but if your sub can't be hooked up to your Yamaha , I don't think it's really worth bothering with?? If it does not have or low level inputs???

It really does not seem worth the effort of bothering with, but I don't know?? But as has been mentioned ... "Plan B" would be a "New" Powered Sub! Lot's of options and one for every budget these days!

Either of these would be a good choice for a small sub, they came up in another thread.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8248
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-800-8-80-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-627

And if you decide you want more sub down the room ... you'd have a great base for another "Smaller system!" A "Plan B" if you will. :)

I do appreciate all your help. after considering everything I read, I have decided to figure a way to use the Klipsch sub I already own. I have used it before in another home, and it really rocks the joint. I have a feeling I wouldn't be happy with a stand alone amp unless I paid more bucks than I am willing to put into this stuff. the pioneer passive sub is about a 6" ,and the Klipsch is a 10. so, again thanks everyone for helping me reach this decision. I am going to put some spyro gyra vinyl on my Marantz 6200 table with my pioneer sx 1280 with HPM 100's and relax a while..this IS the life!!!.

I have an old Pioneer vsx ### and it only has an output for a powered subwoofer. I recently got a steal on a set of pioneer HT speaker set,but the sub is a passive sub. so what if anything can be done on the cheap to make it work. I have a Klipich powered sub in storage, but it is too big to use where we have the HT system. as you can see, I don't know how to spell Klipish. btw.. I didn't try to hook up the passive sub yet. I don't figure there would be enough signal to drive it. so.... any ideas?? thanks..Randy
Any pictures of the rear of the sub?

If like most passive subs it has a built in high pass for the main satellites. Just run speaker wire from the Pioneer receiver to the sub, then from the sub to the speakers, easy peasy.

Had this 12" Canton Plus-C passive sub connected to a 35watt amplifier and it rocked.

649199106_thumb_9c79dca2682c9e8f2af2959b21986fc0.jpg

ny pictures of the rear of the sub?

If like most passive subs it has a built in high pass for the main satellites. Just run speaker wire from the Pioneer receiver to the sub, then from the sub to the speakers, easy peasy.

Had this 12" Canton Plus-C passive sub connected to a 35watt amplifier and it rocked.
This one is too cheap. paid 10 bucks at a thrift store. only has 2 terminals on the back and no way to hook up satellites. I had to open the box cause something was rattling inside and I found a red plastic ball and a broken crayon inside.No circuitry inside whatsoever. I was surprised that all 5 speakers worked pretty decently for how cheap they are. The Klipsch sub will make the system sound very adequate since the room is not huge. actually it sounds so much better than the crappy tv speakers, most people including my better half would be fine with it. I just want the extra boost for explosions and the feel of realism...

I doubt anyone reads this, but I'm going to post it anyway. yesterday I went to a thrift store in Deland Fl , home of Stetson U. where my grand daughter did a semester or 2, and I found a treasure trove of vintage audio equipment. so I picked up an 80 watt Phillips subwoofer for a whopping 5 bucks. after I figured out that the weird thing on the front was a volume control, and I figured out how to setup all the pieces to make it all work, I now have a fairly good system about perfect for the size of the space. It doesn't rock as hard as my Klipsch, but at least I have enough bass to round out the other speakers. once again, I thank everyone who gave me some ideas and help on this. happy holidays to all !!!!

Have you listened to the Klipsch subwoofer? I had one and it was the boomiest sub I've every heard, simply unlistenable.

there are several sizes and types out there. mine is adjustable both at the woofer and the receiver. I think it was a little on the boomy side, but certainly not unlistenable for my taste. I had friends over to watch some horror movie I cant remember which one now, but everyone kept getting up to look out the window to see what happened out there. The sound was awesome. very realistic. you could feel the bass as well as hear it. However, my only experience with home theater is my own system. I never listened to anyone else's system. I suppose there are far better one's out there. I refuse to find them as I cant afford to be unhappy with my present equipment. On second thought, I do remember my brother had a small set up at his house, but it was lower quality than mine. I guess each to his own...

Back
Top Bottom