4400 in the house :)

The G.O.A.T.

Audio slut...
I picked up my first Marantz ever on monday! The goal is to use it in the bedroom setup with a pair of tannoys/kef's. I am completely unfamiliar with Marantz from this era and my only exposure to them was when I worked at A&B Sound (Canadian retailer, now defunkd) in the late 90's/early 2000's. I know at this age it could use a go over by an experienced tec, but as I'm in Saskatoon (literally the middle of nowhere in the middle of the 2nd largest country in the world) I don't expect there to be much of expert on this machine. I'm reasonably handy with disassembly and could ship out parts if necessary but at that point I wouldn't even know who and where they should go. So any advice you could share would be much appreciated.

Warm regards,

Nick

4400 is probably my least favourite receiver to work on but I still rebuild them cause they are so sweet once done- I have another one coming in a month or so to redo, it will be #4 I think i've done.

Just a lot of parts to replace and it's a quad so double of everything- it's somewhat modular so if you can pull the boards out you could ship em to someone to get them replaced. Relay replacement is tough, but not impossible.

4400 is probably my least favourite receiver to work on but I still rebuild them cause they are so sweet once done- I have another one coming in a month or so to redo, it will be #4 I think i've done.

Just a lot of parts to replace and it's a quad so double of everything- it's somewhat modular so if you can pull the boards out you could ship em to someone to get them replaced. Relay replacement is tough, but not impossible.
What if I pulled parts and sent them to you?

Chris Ready from Boothwyn, PA specializes in the 4400. Has done probably close to a 100+ of them. Did my 4400 years ago, very happy with outcome. If you plan on keeping the unit long term you have to restore it.

Very complex unit to restore. A board by board rebuild would be very expensive in shipping.

Good luck. 3rd most expensive receiver by Marantz during the 70’s.

Cmon Brad you loved working on mine LOL

I've restored 2 of them, they really are a beast to work on. But they sound great when finished, and the quad features are fun to experiment with.

I wouldn't run one in stock condition, both of the ones I restored had thoroughly baked power supplies.

Update: I have had this setup for a bit now and it is in surprisingly good shape. It has the typical scratchy pots and the scope works great but is hard to tune as it seems to change it's alignment with every input (is that normal?) sound quality seems great so far (keeping in mind that it is in a compromised room setup and with a sat/sub setup) and it puts out good clean power. Everything I have tested so far is working but I don't really have a way of telling if any of the quadraphonic features are working correctly.
Is there a guide for this?

Last edited:
Hi. I'd like some info on finding a few parts for a 4400 I just bought....haven't even gotten it, yet...should I ask here? I'd like to track down a few push buttons and 2 slider buttons...I can send a picture from the listing...am I getting too ahead of myself? It's my third 4400, and I haven't had one since I sold them to afford to take care of a sick friend, so I'm very psyched right now:rflmao:...won't arrive for a week or two.

Last edited:
Quite a piece for a first unit. Among the most complex pieces they made. I having one restored right now and it is going to be around 300 new parts. Regular receivers (2325, 2330b etc ) are around half that number. Love the look but understand you have a very complex and old unit that will be prone to issues if still original. If your planning on keeping it long term try to have it restored if you can do so. Good luck!!

View attachment 1369124 View attachment 1369124 View attachment 1369124
Quite a piece for a first unit. Among the most complex pieces they made. I having one restored right now and it is going to be around 300 new parts. Regular receivers (2325, 2330b etc ) are around half that number. Love the look but understand you have a very complex and old unit that will be prone to issues if still original. If your planning on keeping it long term try to have it restored if you can do so. Good luck!!
It's actually not my first 4400, I've had 2 others (blue scope and green scope) that were all original, other than a few lights I replaced and they looked and sounded beautiful...I was sad to let them go, but this one looks O.K....scope looks a little dim in the picture, but you can't tell sometimes. Not sure how it sounds, either, but I'd like to use it and I thought I'd replace the buttons to make it look nice in the meantime...their appearance is the coolest thing about 4400s, I think.View attachment 1369124

Attachments

• s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
I also have a 2245 with only one fully working channel...the other one stopped working after being damaged during shipping and the seller never helped me out...getting it fixed seemed too difficult, plus I got a 4400 right afterwards, so I just let it collect dust for about ten years...I hooked it up again today for the hell of it, and one channel still sounds perfect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom