Subwoofer volume conundrum

One good thing about Apple products is that the software designer knows exactly what hardware including the mic and its characteristics he/she is writing the code for.

Ok, I hear you Joe, like I said no experience outside dedicated acoustical measurement instruments, and tend to trust them over more recent apps for a common " wireless voice communication device"..
But that`s just me..

Go with whatever you folks feel comfortable with, and I`ll stay with true and tried acoustic measurement instrumentation, as I successfully have since starting in 1978 when I could start to afford it, knowing/realizing it`s value as I pursued my developing professional audio career ..

Kind regards, OKB

Do you follow Glen`s speaker and sharing videos

No I have not, though I`m aware of it.
Go with what your comfortable with, I`ll stick with my specific to the task acoustical measurement equipment, as it has served very well my customers, and my own personal use for decades..
If you can make it work for you satisfactorily, then so be it.
I don`t, and won`t ever own a "smart cell phone", as all I need & own is a Motorola~$50.00 flip phone for if I`ve fallen down, and get up, that I can remove the battery to completely shut it off, if desired..
And no I wear no tinfoil hats !! HA !!

One good thing about Apple products is that the software designer knows exactly what hardware including the mic and its characteristics he/she is writing the code for.

That probably could work pretty well Joe, if that is taken into consideration, but I have my doubts that it is, after all it`s a wireless communication device and though the analog circuits inside the phone might have wide reasonably flat bandwidth, I`m pretty sure the mic has very limited audio bandwidth, and is probably very mid range peaky by design for maximum voice communication clarity(it`s primary purpose, the microphone that is)..

Like I said : I do not own a smartphone and have not ever checked out their microphone performance specs with my GenRad Class 1 SPL meter microphone calibrator, and if you wish to track down a youTube video of someone testing any smartphones microphones audio performance, please knock yourself out and post it for me, if you do find one that seems legit.

Again, my original statement was cautionary for those whom might consider to use that method without any considerations of limitations expecting stellar results.
Good luck..
Show me, don`t tell me.

Kind regards, OKB

Ok, I hear you Joe, like I said no experience outside dedicated acoustical measurement instruments, and tend to trust them over more recent apps for a common " wireless voice communication device"..
But that`s just me..

Go with whatever you folks feel comfortable with, and I`ll stay with true and tried acoustic measurement instrumentation, as I successfully have since starting in 1978 when I could start to afford it, knowing/realizing it`s value as I pursued my developing professional audio career ..

Kind regards, OKB

I use a Umik1 mic a laptop and REW for the same purpose. Although I have a couple of SPL and Spectrum Analyzer apps on my tablet, they're mostly for eye candy. If I had an Apple iDevice I would be more inclined to use and rely on its readings than anything obtained from an Android device. Knowing the exact hardware a device is using makes it a lot easier to write something relatively accurate app wise.

I don`t, and won`t ever own a "smart cell phone", as all I need & own is a Motorola~$50.00 flip phone
To each his own, but I cannot imagine not having ready access to a veritable tool box of functionality - including a bubble level!

Calculators, calendars, bible, still and video camera, alarm clock, contact list, access to bank and credit cards (along with ability to deposit via app), streaming music, local music, remote control of my music systems, SPL meter, navigation with geolocation, real time celestial map, notes of all kinds, photos, shopping apps, Keynote for business presentations, Find Friends geolocation, running / health monitor apps, golf app for determining distance to pin, ballistic chart to determine muzzle rise for long distance, Delta app for status, gate information, seat assignment, upgrade status, etc., Hilton virtual key, Trip It for sharing and keeping track of wifey's and my upcoming itineraries, Uber for ground transportation, Canary app to monitor security cameras in and around house, Roku and Oppo remote, and various weather and radar apps.

IAnd no I wear no tinfoil hats !! HA !!
I'm only three years your junior, but apparently I do. :)

II`m pretty sure the mic has very limited audio bandwidth, and is probably very mid range peaky by design for maximum voice communication clarity
The phone based recordings don't sound "mid range peaky" to these ears if not a bit bass shy. Which is why I provided clickable links in post # 19 so that you could hear the results and determine for yourself.

Which is why I provided clickable links in post # 19 so that you could hear the results and determine for yourself.

They may in fact sound good/decent, but I didn`t bother to click on it, as I only have the low-fi internal laptop speakers on this computer, and that SQ would be far from revealing any quality judgment considerations.

Don`t like to wear any head phones anymore, as installing them on my head with the use of one hand is more bother than it`s worth, plus I find the head band can possibly crinkle/damage my tinfoil hat, that I might just decide to wear !! :oops:, :crazy:

Have a great weekend E-Stat.
Kind regards, OKB

They may in fact sound good/decent, but I didn`t bother to click on it, as I only have the low-fi internal laptop speakers on this computer, and that SQ would be far from revealing any quality judgment considerations.
Understand. My desktop computer is connected to a modest in house system using an Emotiva A100 amplifier driving in-ceiling full range speakers. Which actually provides decent results for background listening.

TDon`t like to wear any head phones anymore, as installing them on my head with the use of one hand is more bother than it`s worth...
I don't use headphones any more either. For mobile listening or in the bedroom, I use Shure se535 IEMs.

Have a great weekend E-Stat.
Thank you kindly. Last night, I finished removing the entire system from the music room to get the carpet replaced. That was not a fun task! Moving the 200 lb speakers was a bear and needed assistance from my FIL. The installers just left, so all I have to do now is completely re-assemble everything!

Last edited:
I use a Umik1 mic a laptop and REW for the same purpose. Although I have a couple of SPL and Spectrum Analyzer apps on my tablet, they're mostly for eye candy. If I had an Apple iDevice I would be more inclined to use and rely on its readings than anything obtained from an Android device. Knowing the exact hardware a device is using makes it a lot easier to write something relatively accurate app wise.

I have that same mic with the correction chart that I bought for use, with my also purchased, but still yet unused miniDSP.
When I ever get around to setting it up I`m sure I`ll spot check the microphone with the GenRad multi frequency, level SLM reference calibrator.
I really don`t know why I purchased the microphone, as I own three class 1 very high $$ acoustical measurement microphones, and one purchased in the early nineties with a super low noise battery powered preamp for very low back ground level noise measurements..

I guess I thought I`d need the USB mic for use with the miniDSP, but I suspect my class 1 measurement microphones are much better, as they need no frequency/versus level correction charts..

Go with what ever you are comfortable with/sounds best Joe, after all it is your system, and ears..

Take care, and try to have a great weekend.

Very kind regards, Billy Ferris

Understand. My desktop computer is connected to a modest in house system using an Emotiva A100 amplifier driving in-ceiling full range speakers. Which actually provides decent results for background listening.

I don't use headphones any more either. For mobile listening or in the bedroom, I use Shure se535 IEMs.

Thank you kindly. Last night, I finished removing the entire system from the music room to get the carpet replaced. That was not a fun task! Moving the 200 lb speakers was a bear and needed assistance from my FIL. The installers just left, so all I have to do now is completely re-assemble everything!

I feel for you brother, and good luck with getting the system re-installed/re-tweaked and functioning to your satisfaction, cause you know it will drive you nuts until you have the previous mindset sound quality back, or at least close as your physical energy curve permits !!
My living room bass speakers are nearly as heavy, and stay where they reside, after dialing in years ago..

Again E-Stat, have as great, or at least as a good weekend as your situation allows..

Very kind regards Sir: Billy Ferris

I have that same mic with the correction chart that I bought for use, with my also purchased, but still yet unused miniDSP.
When I ever get around to setting it up I`m sure I`ll spot check the microphone with the GenRad multi frequency, level SLM reference calibrator.
I really don`t know why I purchased the microphone, as I own three class 1 very high $$ acoustical measurement microphones, and one purchased in the early nineties with a super low noise battery powered preamp for very low back ground level noise measurements..

I guess I thought I`d need the USB mic for use with the miniDSP, but I suspect my class 1 measurement microphones are much better, as they need no frequency/versus level correction charts..

Go with what ever you are comfortable with/sounds best Joe, after all it is your system, and ears..

Take care, and try to have a great weekend.

Very kind regards, Billy Ferris

I'd be curious to know how the Umik1 stands up against the high priced spread once you use the correction file with REW.

Back
Top Bottom