Sony TA-1120 vs 1120A vs 1120F

sssboa

Hi guys,
1120A is very common, the other two quite rare.
I am intrested in sonic differences.
The rumour has it 1120A has too little highs.
Also is there something wrong with 1120A's headphone socket? Like it's preamplified only?
Thx
Andy

I really like my TA-1120A. I replaced all electrolytics, most of the preamp transistors, and another in the protect circuit. Sounds great with most speakers I’ve tried it with. Im not exactly sure about sonic differences, but the original 1120, although very similar, has more than just some minor changes if you look at the layouts. Headphone socket is one thing the 1120A has that the 1120 doesn’t. My headphone socket works fine with my headphones, but it may not have enough output for some.

I really like my TA-1120A. I replaced all electrolytics, most of the preamp transistors, and another in the protect circuit. Sounds great with most speakers I’ve tried it with. Im not exactly sure about sonic differences, but the original 1120, although very similar, has more than just some minor changes if you look at the layouts. Headphone socket is one thing the 1120A has that the 1120 doesn’t. My headphone socket works fine with my headphones, but it may not have enough output for some.
Cool. Do you have other vintage amps to compare it to?

Yeah, I have used a lot of amps on the same speakers as the Sony. A couple I’ve used recently:

Yamaha CA-810 - This is a pretty neutral amp, and the Sony is on the warmer side of neutral. The Yamaha has a little more power, and it’s more detailed, but there’s something about the fullness of the Sony. Especially on the right efficient speakers.

Scott 299b - the Sony sounds more like this el84 pp amp than the Yamaha. It’s a very early SS integrated design, so to me it seems voiced like a tube amp. It’s also a cap coupled amp, so that could have something to do with it.

I guess I can see how people might say the highs aren’t the most airy or detailed, but mine sounded congested at first too. After a little restoration work, it really opened up. Really well-built with high-quality parts throughout. I’m obviously biased towards this amp, but it’s a keeper for me.

Yeah, I have used a lot of amps on the same speakers as the Sony. A couple I’ve used recently:

Yamaha CA-810 - This is a pretty neutral amp, and the Sony is on the warmer side of neutral. The Yamaha has a little more power, and it’s more detailed, but there’s something about the fullness of the Sony. Especially on the right efficient speakers.

Scott 299b - the Sony sounds more like this el84 pp amp than the Yamaha. It’s a very early SS integrated design, so to me it seems voiced like a tube amp. It’s also a cap coupled amp, so that could have something to do with it.

I guess I can see how people might say the highs aren’t the most airy or detailed, but mine sounded congested at first too. After a little restoration work, it really opened up. Really well-built with high-quality parts throughout. I’m obviously biased towards this amp, but it’s a keeper for me.
Did you change all the large caps on the chassis as well?

I can confirm that the headphone output on the TA-1120A is quite low. My tech, Casper at Stereo Rehab here in Chicago, says the TA-1120 is his favorite solid state integrated amp (he's primarily a tube guy) and he recapped/restored mine. It sounds fantastic with speakers, but I am not happy with the headphone performance and may end up selling it. Nice wood case too.

It is a warm sound rather than the brighter sound of more modern amps. I currently have my 1120A running a pair of Emotiva B1's with ribbon tweeters, and the treble sounds lovely to me.

I can confirm that the headphone output on the TA-1120A is quite low. My tech, Casper at Stereo Rehab here in Chicago, says the TA-1120 is his favorite solid state integrated amp (he's primarily a tube guy) and he recapped/restored mine. It sounds fantastic with speakers, but I am not happy with the headphone performance and may end up selling it. Nice wood case too.

It is a warm sound rather than the brighter sound of more modern amps. I currently have my 1120A running a pair of Emotiva B1's with ribbon tweeters, and the treble sounds lovely to me.
I think the headphone problem could be resolved by rewiring the socket to output as it is in other amps.

Yes, I suppose you could wire it into the output of the amp boards and insert an appropriate resistor if necessary. I only ever tested the headphone jack to make sure it was working, but upon looking at the schematic again, it is wired in after the preamp and skips the power amp. That would explain the reported weaker output. Still a fine sounding amp, just maybe not for headphones.

Another solution would be to use an external headphone amp.

...I think the headphone problem could be resolved by rewiring the socket to output as it is in other amps...

That could be done, but there are a few issues.

You'd want to plug the headphones in several seconds after power up to allow the speaker coupling capacitors to charge and settle at half rail. If you didn't, there'd be an almighty 'crack' through the attached headphones.

The pre/main switching in the headphone jack would also need to be bypassed.

You may also notice residual noise that you didn't before.

That could be done, but there are a few issues.

You'd want to plug the headphones in several seconds after power up to allow the speaker coupling capacitors to charge and settle at half rail. If you didn't, there'd be an almighty 'crack' through the attached headphones.

The pre/main switching in the headphone jack would also need to be bypassed.
True, there is no output protection relay or speaker/phones selector switch on the amp, so there would be no way of controlling or muting the output to the headphones as the amp stabilizes.

You replaced the preamp transistors as a precaution?
Ion

I had a couple noisy ones, but I wouldn’t do it unless you have issues. I probably went a little overboard anyways

So I've bought TA-1120A. Just to collect now.
So may have some questions soon.
A bit afraid it's gonna be a soft sounding amp, but I got it quite cheap with the wooden case.
It seems to be easy to work on due to simplicity of build, no frills here, and modules.
I saw many transistors can be substituted by popular KSC1815/1845 which I have aplenty.

I wonder what the 50K trimmer is for. The 10K is for DC Bias. I don't see any references to the other one in the manual.

A bit afraid it's gonna be a soft sounding amp

I have an 1120A here, you are correct about the headphone output, mine is hopeless. I would not agree with the other guys saying it is a warm sounding amplifier, l was so surprised when l first bought mine that it sounds nothing at all like other amps/receivers l have had from this period and into the 70's. It is fairly neutral sounding IMHO and also lacks a little bottom end. In saying this it is in original condition though, will prob recap down the road and will re evaluate then.

Back
Top Bottom