Ongoing Pioneer PL-530 project

With the PL-A35 cover:

IH8nEpK.png

Eckaywg.png

DCH, congrats on the whole project. You've done a terrific job, and I like your choice of alternative dust covers. And I'm sure you could even generate a new label to cover the old. Carefully done, on the right paper, and Bob's your uncle.

I hope you get many hours of listening pleasure out of it!

As a former owner (and fixer) of a PL-530, I can appreciate the effort.
Here's a gratuitous shot of mine (that's Cherry veneer I used to replace the vinyl with)

- Jeff

DCH, congrats on the whole project. You've done a terrific job, and I like your choice of alternative dust covers. And I'm sure you could even generate a new label to cover the old. Carefully done, on the right paper, and Bob's your uncle.

I hope you get many hours of listening pleasure out of it!

As a former owner (and fixer) of a PL-530, I can appreciate the effort.
Here's a gratuitous shot of mine (that's Cherry veneer I used to replace the vinyl with)

- Jeff
Gorgeous. I may at some point in the future try my hand at re veneering this. Probably with walnut. If and when I do I hope it turns out as good as yours looks.

Gorgeous. I may at some point in the future try my hand at re veneering this. Probably with walnut. If and when I do I hope it turns out as good as yours looks.
Thanks, very kind of you to say so!

I love Walnut, it’s an excellent choice. I have no doubt it will turn out stunning!

Reactions: DCH
Stumbled in to this thread. Congrats with the restoration, you did really great. PL 530 is one of my favorites. Mine didn't have the cracked arm base problem, but I did a recap, a cleanup of the pot's, the foam pad renewal and I lubricated the center bearing. It was dry! I have a Dual 1019, a 1219 and a TD 124 mk1 spinning along with the Pioneer. All of them are wonderful turntables and a lot of time went in to them. Must admit, it is the Pioneer I use the most. A Denon td110 is an affordable all time favorite for this great table, wood'n silver, all seventies in one package.

Stumbled in to this thread. Congrats with the restoration, you did really great. PL 530 is one of my favorites. Mine didn't have the cracked arm base problem, but I did a recap, a cleanup of the pot's, the foam pad renewal and I lubricated the center bearing. It was dry! I have a Dual 1019, a 1219 and a TD 124 mk1 spinning along with the Pioneer. All of them are wonderful turntables and a lot of time went in to them. Must admit, it is the Pioneer I use the most.

A Denon td110 is an affordable all time favorite for this great table, wood'n silver, all seventies in one package.

Is it the Denon DL-110 cartridge, you are referring to? :idea:

I agree, nice read, lots of dead ash trees around here, wish I could donate a chunk (sitting on the wood pile) for a new plinth.
Funny you say that, I've got a stack of milled oak curing outside from a tree we had taken down earlier in the year and I'm considering trying to make a plinth for this beastie out of some of it.

Stumbled in to this thread. Congrats with the restoration, you did really great. PL 530 is one of my favorites. Mine didn't have the cracked arm base problem, but I did a recap, a cleanup of the pot's, the foam pad renewal and I lubricated the center bearing. It was dry! I have a Dual 1019, a 1219 and a TD 124 mk1 spinning along with the Pioneer. All of them are wonderful turntables and a lot of time went in to them. Must admit, it is the Pioneer I use the most. A Denon td110 is an affordable all time favorite for this great table, wood'n silver, all seventies in one package.
Thank you kindly! I'm expecting my repaired 1019 today from Bill at FixMyDual and have a TD 125 MkII in my office - we have a fairly similar set of tables!

An update! I found - shockingly - a set of proper PL-530 dust cover hinges a couple of months ago and, after sitting on them and waiting and hoping, an original OEM dust cover in fantastic condition on eBay!

b7Hb0nt.png

praW3P7.png

With belated apologies to @IMF_Pioneer who was absolutely correct, seeing it with the correct cover does look significantly better than the (still reasonable alternative) A35 tinted cover.

Ugh. Realized this weekend that the arm is not level side-to-side, so I've got a bit of an azimuth problem. Debating whether to disassemble again and fix it at the tonearm base or to shim the cartridge on one side.

Suggestions welcome.

The tilt on the arm will either apply more or less pressure on the antiskate as the arm travels across the record so the best way would be to solve the issue with the arm itself and not shim the cart.

As I've suggested previously the PL-530 is probably one of Pioneers loveliest looking tables and not hiding it's beauty is what it's all about to me...anyway.

Back
Top Bottom