Brand names fool a lot of people

patra710

I think this is kind of funny. I listed two 200 disc CD changers on Ebay. One is a Nikamichi and the other is a Sony. Both are made by Sony. The Nikamichi is a very basic changer, it just changes disc. The Sony has all of the bells and whistles a much better machine. The Nikamichi has lots of views and watchers while the Sony has very little views and no watchers. DSC09855.JPG DSC09841.JPG

Do they both sound the same?. They look almost the same. Nakamichi has a bigger "name" than Sony. Thinking they would get a better deal on that one. If they are listed for about the same price.

Well, Sony was the original developer of the compact digital disc (in cooperation with Philips) back in the '70s. It stands to reason that they would have a good handle on the technology.

I took the covers off to clean and oil them and check that the belts were good. They are the same machine. I goolge both of them to read the reviews, the Nikamichi sound just OK. The Sony has far better electronics in it and can do so much more then just change disc.

Got two of the exact same Sony's in storage here since going to an HTPC ... excellent machines with nary a problem.

Digging thru the archives here and came up with this ...

system-feb12-005.jpg

That's the HTPC as I was building/testing it - eventually fit right into the same slot the changer was in.

I think this is kind of funny. I listed two 200 disc CD changers on Ebay. One is a Nikamichi and the other is a Sony. Both are made by Sony. The Nikamichi is a very basic changer, it just changes disc. The Sony has all of the bells and whistles a much better machine. The Nikamichi has lots of views and watchers while the Sony has very little views and no watchers. View attachment 1349976 View attachment 1349978

If you spelled Nakamichi wrong in the listing like you did here, maybe that explains it?
Would screw up searches and possibly alerts.
Also some people might think it's a "knock off/white van-ish" product.

Last edited:
If you spelled Nakamichi wrong in the listing like you did here, maybe that explains it?
Would screw up searches and possibly alerts.
Also some people might think it's a "knock off/white van-ish" product.

If he spelled Nakamichi wrong in the listing I’d think it would have less views, but he is saying it has more.

Dan

This is not uncommon--not just with CDPs, but all types of components. Usually a manufacturer has its "strengths", but needs to offer a "complete" line, so that consumers can buy a "matching" system. Many components out there are just "re-badged" products that were outsourced from other manufacturers. It is just too difficult and expensive to tool up and manufacture a full line of products (of any degree of quality). If anyone believes that Marantz actually built a TT of their own, they are seriously deluded--all outsourced.

It does not surprise me at all that the Nak is garnering more interest. Nak (in general) is not as "common" as Sony, and folks that have other Nak gear will be all over it, regardless--because it matches their other Nak gear. I don't hesitate to "mix 'n match" brands based on performance, but some folks insist upon a complete "matching" system.

Got the same Sony as sKiZo and it's been a workhorse for years with heavy use, and no probs to date (fingers crossed).

The programming is a bit cumbersome to use without a keyboard, but I like the way it can be set up in grouping.

Only downfall, if one could call it that is...if you ever try to relocate it, do not tilt the machine! If you do, the discs become become dislodged, and it's not fun getting them back into place. You will do this only the once!

Q

There is such a thing as brand fatigue. Summing up what savatage said, Sony is everywhere, Nakamichi is not, and so has more of an exclusive/exotic feel to the average consumer.

I kinda wonder whether in this specific case it's because of what the item is... whether deserved or not, 200 disc changers don't have a great rep, consumer-wise. Add that to what is now a commodity name, and ppl want a thrift store price for it. There have been many of these things popping up on my CL.

There is such a thing as brand fatigue. Summing up what savatage said, Sony is everywhere, Nakamichi is not, and so has more of an exclusive/exotic feel to the average consumer.

I kinda wonder whether in this specific case it's because of what the item is... whether deserved or not, 200 disc changers don't have a great rep, consumer-wise. Add that to what is now a commodity name, and ppl want a thrift store price for it. There have been many of these things popping up on my CL.

Growing up I looked down my nose at Sony. I didn't realize until much later that their high end stuff easily competes with the big boutique names in many cases.

Growing up I looked down my nose at Sony. I didn't realize until much later that their high end stuff easily competes with the big boutique names in many cases.

I have a little Sony shortwave radio, SW7600, that has done well for me over the years; for the size and function, I couldn't find anything better. OTOH, there was the Sony Trinitron that blew its color out after 5-6 years, and because of that I've been at least a bit wary. Bad apples are unavoidable in the long run...

I have had a few of those Sony carousel changers. Have you searched sold listings and done a price comparison? Make sure you have that Sony priced along the same lines as what they sell for..

Got the same Sony as sKiZo and it's been a workhorse for years with heavy use, and no probs to date (fingers crossed).

The programming is a bit cumbersome to use without a keyboard, but I like the way it can be set up in grouping.

Only downfall, if one could call it that is...if you ever try to relocate it, do not tilt the machine! If you do, the discs become become dislodged, and it's not fun getting them back into place. You will do this only the once!

Q

I have the 400 disc version parked in the garage unused now and yes, without the keyboard, putting tracks in sucks!! Most new discs show tracklisting but a lot of my older ones don't so in all honesty, I never put them in. Original owners song titles are still in it LMAO!!!

I picked up a 300+1 nominally intended for DVDs recently, after filling a finicky Kenwood 100-disc unit. Seems reasonably competent, but it seems to sometimes have minor alignment issues with the "picker" mechanism-- it will start to lift the disc, but it comes up at an angle and doesn't feed in correctly. Seems most common on the 1st disc position, as there's a gap on that side seemingly allowing the disc to tilt a little to the left. More rarely it will have similarly difficulty on ejecting. Are these symptoms common? I cleaned the belt on the picker finger and it seemed to improve the symptoms significantly, but not fully.

I have the 400 disc version parked in the garage unused now and yes, without the keyboard, putting tracks in sucks!! Most new discs show tracklisting but a lot of my older ones don't so in all honesty, I never put them in. Original owners song titles are still in it LMAO!!!

Tried to leave you a PM...but no luck. ?

Q

Back
Top Bottom