Admiral Hi-Fidelity Console Stereo

IowaFightFan

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I just got an Admiral Hi-Fidelity Console Stereo the other day .it's got great sound, deep bass with the 15" woofer. It does have a few issues though.

The tuner needle will not go past a certain point. In the picture, you see the black marker line, near the number "12" on the AM side. The tuner needle stops at that point for some reason. Any ideas what causes that and if it's easily fixable?

The turntable has some issues too, but I'm confident I can get that going.

Attachments

• IMG_20181120_083952293.jpg
    IMG_20181120_083952293.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20181120_084008845.jpg
    IMG_20181120_084008845.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 108
The dial cord has probably slipped or the pointer is hanging up for some reason. You'll have to get into it and have a look, but the fix will be mechanical so if you can handle the turntable, you can handle this. If you can find an owners or service manual, they often have dial cord stringing and adjustment instructions. And, like I always say, there's pretty much a Youtube video for everything. Good luck with it--nice looking unit!

The dial cord has probably slipped or the pointer is hanging up for some reason. You'll have to get into it and have a look, but the fix will be mechanical so if you can handle the turntable, you can handle this. If you can find an owners or service manual, they often have dial cord stringing and adjustment instructions. And, like I always say, there's pretty much a Youtube video for everything. Good luck with it--nice looking unit!

Thank you for information! I do not have a service manual yet, but believe it or not the original manuals and advertising material was still in the cabinet.

Do radio stations seem to be about at the right place on the dial? If they aren't, the cord likely slipped. If they are, its probably something jamming. I've even seen incorrectly installed dial strings that bind up and cause this sort of issue.

Do radio stations seem to be about at the right place on the dial? If they aren't, the cord likely slipped. If they are, its probably something jamming. I've even seen incorrectly installed dial strings that bind up and cause this sort of issue.

Yes, the stations that do come in seem to be in the correct location on the dial. I appreciate the information though.

So, I am still messing with this stereo. It did appear that the cord had binded up a bit. I got it straightened out, but now the radio stations are no longer in sync with the needle. What is the best way to remedy this? Simply move the needle on the cord into the correct position?

It also does not appear that the tuning eye tube is working properly. It powers on and is bright enough, but the "shadows" in the tube don't move at all as you tune the radio.

The pointer has to be mechanically right first. usually the dial is set so its at the lowest mark on the dial but you can also just set it to a known station and move the pointer accordingly, then confirm it looks right at the extreme ends of travel.

Haha, I got'cha. I thought you were referring to the stereo I was working on. I was thinking that I haven't upgraded anything on it....lol

Back
Top Bottom