Full Sized Trucks--When Will The "Size War" End?

savatage1973

Addicted Member
My work truck is a 2016 Silverado HD3500 quad cab, 4wd, long box, dually. It is three years old and time for replacement. I've been seeing the new trucks on the road/at job sites, and researching the specs on the net--haven't hit the dealers yet, but I need to start.

My truck is HUGE, but the new ones are even bigger than mine, and the 2020 Silverado HD's are getting even bigger. Pretty soon you're going to need a CDL to pilot one.

When is this madness going to stop? As it is, my current truck is difficult to park in most conventional parking lots and has the turning radius of a small city block.

I just want to know when the ugly ass grill contest is gonna' stop. It's been getting worse and worse for years now, culminating in the latest monstrosity from Chevy.

Yeah, I hear you. Bigger and bigger trucks people are driving. If you need the size , pulling power, etc. I can understand. But most I see driving with no passengers and no load in the back. I love my 2000 Silverado with extended cab, but I only drive that when I need to haul something or need the 4wd for snow. The rest of the time I drive something that will give me decent MPG.

Last edited:
What I often wondered is when the prices would also stop climbing to astronomical levels?

These trucks you speak of are at the $60K-$70K price ranges today. Will one soon pay $100K for a pickup?

They built those International CXT trucks a few miles from me, it's actually been worse.

Just get a low mileage used truck from when they were a usable size. I like my Rangers and will never go full size unless I buy another classic from years past.

95 Ford Ranger owner here. It leaks rainwater. Radio quit years ago. Paint is shot. Odometer quit in 2013. Only 2 tiny flimsy little leaf springs on both sides.

Hauls firewood like a sumbitch, never left me stranded. Once had the bed loaded to the cab window with mulch, WHILE pulling an 18 foot trailer, with a full scoop of mulch as well. Suspension hated it, little 4 cylinder didn't care.

Paid for. Yep, no reason at all to sell it, or upgrade for me.

For Savatage, he needs, nay MUST have a construction truck. Most of these coal-rolling asshat kids do not. But, I guess need has nothing to do with it.

If ya'll got a modest home's cost worth of cash, go buy ya one of these gigantic, noisy, wasteful, pointless things. Not for me, tho I'd love a basic long bed 2wd from, say, 1977? That'd be sweet, but forever to heck with a 3 on the tree. STILL hate those.

I'll bet we're already there if you get a TOTL truck with all the goodies.....

Damned close. My truck was fully loaded when I bought it new in 2016 (I own the company, so I deserve it), and it was pushing $70K then. I think the prices are starting to level-out though. I keep driving by dealerships with trucks out front with big banners advertising anywhere from $9-12K discounts. I think we're getting near the pinnacle.

It's funny, while trucks are getting bigger and flashier, it seems like cargo vans are going in the other direction. I drive a Dodge Pro-master (made by Fiat) for work, and while it's plenty big on the inside, it just looks small and kinda cute, and doesn't have that macho look most of the full size trucks are going for. It has a small high revving V6, front wheel drive, and the best turning radius I have ever experienced.
Then there's the small version of these vans, from Dodge, ford, and Nissan. These are very small, and the Nissan even has little 15" wheels.

I think pick-up trucks these days are the muscle cars of yesterday. I see so many trucks that are obviously not used for any real work. No one drives a cargo van to look cool!

I think pick-up trucks these days are the muscle cars of yesterday. I see so many trucks that are obviously not used for any real work.

Somewhat related to this..... pickups really do seem popular even with people who don't need them. Case in point. I'm the father of four. My two youngest , a 17 year old boy and 14 year old girl, both prefer pickups as their vehicle of choice.

My old 78 (Brutis). If I could buy this truck new, I would. The best vehicle I have ever owned, nothing would stop it and it always ran, no matter what. Finally retired it with over 350,000 miles on it due to round cam lobe and rust. 350/T400 3.73 gears believe it or not would knock down 18 mpg's (Imp gal) on the highway all the time. My 01 Silverado is a good truck, but for a half ton it should have a better turning radius than a Greyhound bus. ;)

Attachments

• brutis1.jpg
    brutis1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 70
I think pick-up trucks these days are the muscle cars of yesterday. I see so many trucks that are obviously not used for any real work. No one drives a cargo van to look cool!
If you're like me and you just have to have rear wheel drive and a V-8 it's one of the few affordable choices out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's another part to the equation.
As stated before, you have to carry, pull, load, I totally get the utility.
For all these people using duallie quad cab long bed trucks as their personal drivers I completely don't get.
Granted certain rural areas have space to burn but in urban sprawl areas they are a nuisance.
Raised parking garages where they park at the pass throughs, they leave no visibility and block the two way traffic.
You should be able to drive what you want .
It just shouldn't be a burden on everyone else.

The pickups have become burlesques of trucks.
The big trucks go away when the boomers are all gone.
As will all single-owner, owner-driven vehicles powered by fossil fuels.
The biggest dinosaurs roamed earth just before the K-T boundary*/mass extinction.

I just pulled behind my friends 3500 hd dually ram and with the addition of the boss v plow that thing is huge.

I agree; why the heck are trucks so damned big ? Unless you are doing serious towing,such as a mobile home or huge construction trailer,whats the point?

That said,I am presently in the market for a new truck,and boy,they really are huge these days.

The truck that served me the best was a ''mid-sized'' 1989 Dodge Dakota 3.9L 5-speed. Work package with uprated suspension. Plastic interior,rubber floor cover.Air,tilt,cruise,leather? Nope,no BS here.They took a cigarette lighter and an ashtray and built a truck around them.

Added gas,changed oil and fluids regularly, and hosed her out once a year(literally),need it or not. Repairs? Brakes,shocks,radiator,front end once,installed outboard voltage regulator,rebuilt the differential. Tens years of service and 465 000km. Original clutch....Had to retire her due to salt-induced cancer:(

And have you even tried to buy a base-model truck these days? Bloody impossible; Haha,sorry Sir,but we'd have to special order one of those:rolleyes:

Then they try to sell me a land-based aircraft carrier.....

For all these people using duallie quad cab long bed trucks as their personal drivers I completely don't get.

Neither do I--and I own and drive one of these trucks because I own a construction company, and you can't tow a 22,000lb backhoe on a trailer with a Honda Civic, but it is my work truck--not my "daily driver" to run to the grocery store.

I know a few guys in the business that do use them as daily drivers--basically because that is their only vehicle, and saddled with a $1400/mo truck payment and a mortgage, just can't afford another regular car--or if they have one, the wife is using it.

What really kills me are all of the (still huge) F-150 4dr/short boxes on the road being used in place of a sedan by idiots that won't carry anything more than groceries or a set of golf clubs in the back--maybe a cooler to the tailgate party.

Agreed.
i recently sold my 2002 Toyota Tundra. Nice sized truck. The new full size models from everyone are just too big. They have no more load area and take up your entire garage. I will not buy one. The mid-sized trucks are almost as big as the full-sized used to be. The small pickups are gone.

Back
Top Bottom