Time to replace my Tandberg 3012

Somna

My wonderful Tandberg 3012 integrated has finally bitten the dust after ten years or wonderful service. And, while I'm going to hold onto it in the hopes that I'll eventually be able to afford the $1000 or so for a complete restoration, I need to buy something used in the meantime in the $300-500 range. My speakers are B&W Matrix 2, Series II and I use a Naim CD5si CD player.

Before I got the Tandberg, I was of the amplification doesn't matter all that much unless you spend a fortune school. This was after using a Carver, then an NAD. But the fact was that, once I put the 3012 in, everything began to gel in my system: things sounded less clinical, more cohesive, more - and I hate the use the word in this context because it's so vague - musical. So that's the type of sound I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on less expensive integrateds that might be worth considering? Creek? An old Naim 3? A/D/S Braun A2?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

You'll want something rated to drive 4 ohm loads. Maybe a used Marantz pm8004 or similar.

I don't have a suggesting in your price range, i just wanted to offer my condolences. I had to retire my 3002A and 3006A about a year ago, and it was a sad day

I don't have a suggesting in your price range, i just wanted to offer my condolences. I had to retire my 3002A and 3006A about a year ago, and it was a sad day

Yeah, I was kind of hoping it would last forever, LOL. Had a good run though!

The Marantz allegedly has the signature "Marantz' sound. Plus, you get some modern connectivity.

$1K to service a 3012? Sounds like a Soundsmith quote... ouch.

Other than the Hitachi MOSFET outputs - which are still out there with some patience (or there's a sub that may be used) and this model only has 4 outputs - there isn't anything particularly difficult about repairing a 3012/3012A. Lots of good techs that would probably do that for at most 1/4 of that cost.

John

My wonderful Tandberg 3012 integrated has finally bitten the dust after ten years or wonderful service. And, while I'm going to hold onto it in the hopes that I'll eventually be able to afford the $1000 or so for a complete restoration, I need to buy something used in the meantime in the $300-500 range. My speakers are B&W Matrix 2, Series II and I use a Naim CD5si CD player.

Before I got the Tandberg, I was of the amplification doesn't matter all that much unless you spend a fortune school. This was after using a Carver, then an NAD. But the fact was that, once I put the 3012 in, everything began to gel in my system: things sounded less clinical, more cohesive, more - and I hate the use the word in this context because it's so vague - musical. So that's the type of sound I'm looking for.

Any suggestions on less expensive integrateds that might be worth considering? Creek? An old Naim 3? A/D/S Braun A2?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

You need more power, higher current, than a Naim3 or an ADS/BraunA2. A B&W Matrix 2 is a very hungry speaker. And best driven by separates. Look at something like maybe an Adcom power amplifier and preamp. Might be doable in your budget or not too much above it.

I, too, think that you should be able to repair your Tandberg for much less than $1K.

Back
Top Bottom