Wood head shell. Home made.improvemen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andre Garcia

“WITHOUT MUSIC, LIFE WOULD BE A MISTAKE”
Subscriber
Hi to all.
Today I made my own wood headshell.
This is play with the unknown, because in our world look too long the tt change the sound, but worth the try.
The wood used is cherry wood (brazilian) and plywood for the base.
The idea is made something nice that work.
The cart a Grado black that wasn’t doing pretty good on a aluminum shell. The sound was dull with not great image. Some people say because is up to 20k Hz.
First I made it lighter than the aluminum, easy to adjust the azimuth.
The test was Sade with the inner grove song Jezabel. The sound is amazing, great separation, clarity, bass still the same, maybe a little more robust.
I was afraid a little but after the good result i will make the second one for my pickering. And again who know.
DFA2E53F-8FB3-43C7-A2D9-E163C186BCFD.jpeg

Attachments

• 0CEDE8B2-6F66-46A0-82CE-E4CB5BACB581.jpeg
    0CEDE8B2-6F66-46A0-82CE-E4CB5BACB581.jpeg
    58.6 KB · Views: 170
Cool! About an hour or so away. I see a "South Florida" meet up happening soon! I hope to have some "complications" that keep me busy (condominium board) wrapped up early next year so I will be trying to organize some vinyl and general audio BBQ meets around March/April before it gets too hot to do anything.

Welcome to AK!

That headshell came out nice!

Very nice work.

I bought a cherry wood headshell and found it improved the overall clarity over the standard Technics headshell.

Can you show a few more views and how you made azimuth adjust?

5DEED885-B333-4D6D-B38C-1C1C7BBAD11A.jpeg
Very nice work.

I bought a cherry wood headshell and found it improved the overall clarity over the standard Technics headshell.

Can you show a few more views and how you made azimuth adjust?
Glad to hear that, thats mean is not mentally what I heard on mine!
Here is how i adjust the azimuth. A small brass screw that tight the 4 pin connector.

Attachments

• 00CE32AD-29F3-4200-BD4B-C10D58AC637D.jpeg
    00CE32AD-29F3-4200-BD4B-C10D58AC637D.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 29
After the good result i will make the second one for my pickering.
Will you use the same wood? Or experiment? The range of woods is so great, from hard as metal (ironwood: it sinks in water) to so soft you can 'cut' it with your fingernail. They must 'sound' very different.

I have a ton of black walnut pieces laying around here. Would love doing something like that. Wish I had the skills and patience and a complete set of instructions.

I think the socket/pins from France are very nice and relatively inexpensive.

Nice work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom