Yamaha CX-10000 Record Output Not Working

Ryan Sheldon

Hi, I was hoping someone here would have some experience with the Record Out function on the CX-10000, I have tried this function on 3 units, and none of them will route audio to the selected output. The record outputs on any selected output stay quiet on all units no matter what I do. Unfortunately, my manuals are in Japanese, I can't imagine all of them are dead, so it has to be the way I am using it. Many Thanks! Ryan

Just to check, you're not trying to record a signal coming into the digital inputs are you? The CX-10000's record outputs will only route the signal from the analogue inputs - it cannot record through the analogue Rec Out from the digital inputs.

Thank you both, I appreciate the responses. I am trying to record from my turntable to cassette or DAT (I have tested both). I have validated that all connection paths are analog. The Phono is selected with Green LED, the Tape 2 is selected with Red LED. This seems so straight forward, but all units are doing the exact same thing. Thanks Again. Ryan

This doesn't sound right to me. I've only recorded through my CX-10000 a handful of times so I'll have to have a play with it over the weekend to refresh my brain on it but, as I recall, if you select the Phono Amp input and the LED is green, you have selected it for listening only. To select it for both listening and recording, its LED should be orange, IIRC.

I have a feeling what you have done from your description above is set the Phono Amp input as the one you are listening to, and Tape 2 as the input that you are recording from but, as I said, I'll need to check.

It really sounds as though they are simply broken and that you should give them to me because despite being broken, they would look great in my man cave. I even live in Missouri and we may shop at the same Casey's or QuikTrip for all
we know. It might just be fate and why subject yourself to this level of frustration? :bigok:

But seriously welcome to the forum and once you get this solved please do tell us how you managed to come across three CX-10000's.:biggrin:

I'm only seeing two with the same photo (not that the number really matters). What - two people can't have the same brown cabinet, gray carpet, and serial number? I'm starting to suspect bambootokyo...

Ah yes, the infamous double post...the skillfull sailor guy is I think Audiounion or Hardoff. Any chance I could convince the seller in Germany that the record out function on the CX-10000 doesn't work properly without the HX-10000 attached? "Oh yeah it's a set, just throw it in the box...danka!" :D

Hi, I was hoping someone here would have some experience with the Record Out function on the CX-10000, I have tried this function on 3 units, and none of them will route audio to the selected output. The record outputs on any selected output stay quiet on all units no matter what I do. Unfortunately, my manuals are in Japanese, I can't imagine all of them are dead, so it has to be the way I am using it. Many Thanks! Ryan

I have the Japanese language edition of the CX-10000 owners manual.

Can you post pictures of the following:
  • pages 5-6 of the owners manual which shows the back of a CX-10000 with detailed i/o.
  • the back of your CX-10000 showing how the interconnects are configured?

Hi @Mark B I have attached some photos, sorry, but the wiring is not clear, the business end is a bit of a mess right now, but here goes.... the CX Tape 2 Out is currently connected to the Audio In on the cassette deck, the CX Tape 2 In is currently connected to the Tape 2 In of the cassette deck. I tested with both DAT and Cassette. I can get an orange light on the LED if the CX is set to Tape 2 In and Tape 2 Record Out. Since I am recording from a turntable, the Input selection is set to Phono.
Thanks Again for having a look! Ryan
index.php

index.php

Last edited:
It really sounds as though they are simply broken and that you should give them to me because despite being broken, they would look great in my man cave. I even live in Missouri and we may shop at the same Casey's or QuikTrip for all
we know. It might just be fate and why subject yourself to this level of frustration? :bigok:

But seriously welcome to the forum and once you get this solved please do tell us how you managed to come across three CX-10000's.:biggrin:

Lol, thanks for generous offer and the welcome note! They are not hard to come by, I imported mine a long time ago, I use them about every day; but I have never tried recording with them before, that's where I ran into problems. What part of Missouri are you in?

Lol, thanks for generous offer and the welcome note! They are not hard to come by, I imported mine a long time ago, I use them about every day; but I have never tried recording with them before, that's where I ran into problems. What part of Missouri are you in?

You know how we do it in Muhzurruh...no nonsense but we love to horse around...pm sent :D

Ryan, I don't have a tape deck or I'd test this myself.

What color are the following lights when you're trying to record?
  • Input source indicator light
  • Output source indicator light
  • REC OUT indicator light

Last edited:
The Input Source is Green on the Phono
The Output Source and REC OUT are the same as far as I can tell, but this may be where my problem is. Nonetheless, the REC OUT light is lit up RED and Tape 2 is selected RED.
If I change the Input Source to Tape 2, this effectively lights the Green and Red LEDs on Tape 2, the resulting color is Orange.
Thanks @Mark B

The Input Source is Green on the Phono
The Output Source and REC OUT are the same as far as I can tell, but this may be where my problem is. Nonetheless, the REC OUT light is lit up RED and Tape 2 is selected RED.
If I change the Input Source to Tape 2, this effectively lights the Green and Red LEDs on Tape 2, the resulting color is Orange.
Thanks @Mark B

EDITED
Ryan, with the indicator lights as you describe above press the REC OUT selector button. The REC OUT indicator light should start blinking. Press the REC OUT selector button again. The REC OUT indicator light and the TAPE 2 indicator lights should go out and PHONO indicator light should still be green.
  • Press the REC OUT selector button (the REC OUT indicator light should now be red & blinking).
  • Press the PHONO selector button (the PHONO indicator light should now be orange and the REC OUT indicator light red).
  • Press the selector button of the Output source you want to record to (the Output source indicator light should now be green and the PHONO & REC OUT indicator lights should be red).
  • Start recording.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom