Technics RS-279US : Is the mechanic produce like this shape?

liemjerry

Hi Friends

I have 3 head cassette deck :
Technics RS-279US, I need to know, is the mechanical that produced by Technics factory have 2 pins :
does the technics manufacturer produce 2 sharp pins with one of its parts like being cut into 2 (right)? or this mechanic has a broken pin on the right side?
upload_2018-12-7_9-55-13.png

please compare if anyone have this deck

Thank you

You may want to review this video. I looks like the pin on the right side of this RS-279US is also "cut into 2". Unless this is the same unit you have, it is an odd coincidence that the pin in this one is "broken" in the same way as yours.

Last edited:
i think it is difficult to recover or make the new one
The reason I included the link to the video in my post was that the "broken" pin in your deck seems to be no different than the corresponding pin on the deck in the video. It may be that this pin was made that way intentionally and is not in fact "broken".

The pin looks broken or cut. If cut the reason escapes me and I would assume they would just cast a 1/2 pin rather than doing such a crud modification. If broken the only possibility I can think of if a defect in the casting or someone applied to much pressure to the pin with pliers or other tool.

these may be locator pins for the cassette itself and may not affect operation and/or proper
sound playback. I'd try recording piano selections (most easily noted warble) and playback
on this deck and a different one. unless you record a lot it's the playback stability that's
important.

The pin looks broken or cut. If cut the reason escapes me and I would assume they would just cast a 1/2 pin rather than doing such a crud modification. If broken the only possibility I can think of if a defect in the casting or someone applied to much pressure to the pin with pliers or other tool.

I can't understand why they make it half with half? and actually the possibility of breaking is very small

You may want to review this video. I looks like the pin on the right side of this RS-279US is also "cut into 2". Unless this is the same unit you have, it is an odd coincidence that the pin in this one is "broken" in the same way as yours.

does the right pin in this video also break half?

I can't understand why they make it half with half? and actually the possibility of breaking is very small
A split pin that broke? They are guide pins that shouldn't have any torque applied. The whole thing is a puzzler.

Here is an image I found on eBay of the interior of an RS-279US. As you can see, the right side pin in this one has the same shape as the one in the OP's deck and the one shown in the video I posted the link to. Based on this additional information, it is hard for me to believe that all of these decks have pins that are "broken". It seems as though this is the shape of the part as it was originally manufactured. The reason why it is different from the shape of the left side pin is still unknown.

RS-279US Tape Well.jpg

After some additional research I may have found the answer to why the pins are different. Here is some information I found about the layout of the tape well for the RS-279US.

RS-279US Tape Well Detail.jpg

Technics RS-279US.jpg

If you notice, there is a point on the cassette identified as "monitor head". This appears to be located in the same area as the right side pin in the tape well. It could be that the right side pin serves as a reflector for the photo-electronic auto-stop system that stops the tape when it reaches its end.

Last edited:
After some additional research I may have found the answer to why the pins are different. Here is some information I found about the layout of the tape well for the RS-279US.

View attachment 1352577

View attachment 1352594

If you notice, there is a point on the cassette identified as "monitor head". This appears to be located in the same area as the right side pin in the tape well. It could be that the right side pin serves as a reflector for the photo-electronic auto-stop system that stops the tape when it reaches its end.

very interesting things found here and at the same time a relief.
If it is indeed factory-made, it means that the Technisc RS-279US tape deck that I have is not broken or split, so everything is fine

Back
Top Bottom