Need a new reading/listening chair

Bobcat

Sound Hound
I have an antique rocker with ottoman that I’ve wore out and need to replace. It gets used everyday for computer work (laptop) and reading.

An Aemes style lounger with matching ottoman would be great but I can’t afford $4-5k for one.
What has worked well in a similar situation for you guys?

By the way, I’m 6’1”, 230 lbs.

Recently got a Lazyboy "apartment size" recliner here that doesn't take up much space and is quite comfortable. They were running one of their two for one sales, so quite inexpensive too.

I'm not sure where you're located in Indiana but my wife and I recently purchased two Ekornes Stressless Recliners from a woman in Chicago who has a small shop specializing in Ekornes, Eames, and other nice leather furniture. She doesn't have a storefront per se but will set up an appointment and show you her stock and explain options. We got two 1980's wood recliners with matching ottomans with new leather (our choice of colors) for a fraction of the cost of new chairs (not sure whether it's okay to post cost here). She will sell chairs as-is for less but we opted for new leather. These are friction adjustable infinitely adjustable recliners that are extremely comfortable and lovely styling. Here's her website. You can also search Craigslist Chicago for 'Ekornes' and look for ads giving a location of 'Bryn Mawr + Northwest Highway'. She usually has a few chairs listed.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of our chairs:

Ekornes.jpg

Thanks,
Joe

Last edited:
There are Ekorne knock-offs being made. I found a used one at a SA thrift. Made in Taiwan for Berkline. Has back height to relax your head back. $60 find at SA.

Last edited:
I do not know if it is me only but at 6'4" I find the Eames lounge chair not very comfortable. It is a bit too short and leans back too much. I am glad I tried it at my friend's house before spending money since I like the design very much. Just my 2c since I see you are over 6' too.

Search your local area Craigslist for chair/ottoman and see what's available. That's where I'd start, never know what you might find.

I'm your same size and have the (original size) Eames lounge as my main listening chair.
It works very well, esp for the low back shell height (no reflections, as noted).
It's nearly ideal for short (1hr) listening sessions, but longer than that becomes horribly uncomfortable for me (lower back surgery for burst discs), though pillows do help.

BTW, they now make a "Tall" size Eames chair, which is 2" taller and deeper, for $200 more:)

I see some folks have had good luck with the cheap Eames knockoffs, which also come in different sizes as well.
The Eames originals also have (as I discovered) a tendency to break after about 20 years, and can be a pain to get repaired, though HM does a great job with the repairs and cost isn't too insane (depending on which part breaks).
Design-wise, though, it's hard to beat.

However the most comfortable chair I have is an old (30yr) Lazyboy extra large recliner....though it does tend to promote unscheduled naps.
Except for the fact that the design clashes insanely with all the Eames stuff I have, and the high upper back reflecting/blocking sound, it'd be my preferred chair - even looks halfway ok, in gunmetal blue leather....
Otherwise, get yo' butt out there and start testing chairs in stores!!
Enjoy the 'butt committee' shopping task - and Good Luck!

Was in Staples last week with a bud, looking for a computer chair for his nephew...and there was a good sale on just the one chair. While in the store, I was able to try some of the upper level chairs (Lazy Boy/Serta,etc.) in the $300-$400 range, and the salesman said that they usually have a 50% sale in Spring and Fall. Some of these I impressed me, and a future 50% off caught my interest.

You may want to check these out as well.

Q

Another vote for the Stressless by Ekornes ..... many styles to choose from.
They are expensive .... I kept my eye open for one privately and found this one.
Essentially never sat in .... sat in the corner.
Paid a fraction of a new one....

Good luck....lots of selection out there!

For listening I like a short backed chair so there is no reflection off the chair back behind my ears.

^^^^^^^
This, and it's the reason I don't care for the Poang or "stress-less" (etc.) chairs as a listening chair they have all sorts of business going on around your ears. I prefer (and would recommend) a listening chair that is low-backed so your head is up in the clear - you can hear the system and room much better. I'm 5'5" and there aren't a ton of good solutions for me, but I've found some; at 6'+ you shouldn't have any difficulty finding a chair whose back stays at or just below your shoulders. Going further, I'd suggest one that is upholstered in some way, as opposed to, say, a reflective leather or vinyl.

Just my opinion...

I like them low-backed also. Check out the Prairie style arts and crafts (Stickley style) chairs.

I have an antique rocker with ottoman that I’ve wore out and need to replace. It gets used everyday for computer work (laptop) and reading.

An Aemes style lounger with matching ottoman would be great but I can’t afford $4-5k for one.
What has worked well in a similar situation for you guys?

By the way, I’m 6’1”, 230 lbs.

I found a vintage Plycraft Eames-style original for less than $300 with the ottoman last week. They are out there. A little leather restore and I'm in business.

31711347697_1898306f9c_b.jpg

Good stuff, guys. Been looking on CL for quite some time and will continue to do so. Wife and I are going window shopping in the next couple of weeks for testing.

One thing to keep in mind if you're looking at Eames/Ekornes style chairs. The Eames are rocker type chairs with a fixed sitting angle while the Ekornes are recliners with no rocking ability. I tried both. They're both VERY comfortable but I liked the Ekornes recliner type better than the Eames rocker type for the ability to change the seating angle. With the Eames type the back to leg angle is fixed. I sometimes spend hours reading and find the ability to change the seating angle makes sitting for long periods more comfortable. That's just me, you may find the Eames type to be more comfortable for you.

Good luck in your search.

Joe

I use a circa 1940s Mart Stam Cantilever Chair, designed and developed by the architect Mart Stam @ The Bauhaus circa 1927. My chair is identical to the example depicted below, except that my chair has the "black" leather seat, back, and arm coverings. I use this for computer work and as a listening chair. There's not a hint of "sound reflection" coming off this baby. I think you can still find these, even new. Probably not cheap.

Mart Stam Cantilever Chair (Bauhaus, 1927).jpg

P.S. To assist in preserving the integrity of the back sling & arm covering cowhide elements from deterioration due to moisture and stress (I am sorta top heavy @ 6'3" x 90 kilos), I have "buttressed" the back w/ three Vietnam-era web belts and I always place a towel over the back & arms, an especially important strategy during the warm summer months. The "seat sling" is of a thicker hide so it remains exposed more except during summers when I cover it as well; a small cushion does the trick. None of this, to my senses, has exerted an ill impact on the chair's comfort or utility value re: computing and/or listening. It also puts my web belts to good use since I'm no longer inclined to stroll about the 'ville wearing a web belt w/ a Gerber, Randall, MACV-SOG, or the any of a number of theater-made knuckle (ie, "knucks") knife (or knives) attached. In America, sure, but not here. The katana luring within my loncoats (cold months) or backpack (warm months) is sufficient.

Another vote for the Ekornes Stressless chair/ottoman, it is by far the most comfy chair I've had and it's held up very well.

Back
Top Bottom