Looking for a cheap dac

Solist

Greetings!

I need a bit of help. A while ago I gave my father a set of mint Dual CL136 speakers to replace the cheap Logitech ones.

Now I think I will pair them with the SMSL SA50 amp,it should have enough power to fill the office where he works.

But I hit a wall when looking for a DAC. Is there anything you would recommend for the same price as the SMSL. He mostly listens to music via YouTube so I am looking for something to get the job done.

I am really in no position to spend a lot money so I was wondering if any of you found something that you really like at that price point.

Hey Now,

I tried this DAC for $21.99 from Amazon and was surprised at the sound you get for this inexpensive piece. You can certainly spend more, but for 22 bucks for You Tube audio you might try it out. I use it out in the garage with a Raspberry Pi streamer (Roon endpoint with RoPieee) and it does a yeoman’s job on the cheap.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEDHHKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finest kind,
Chris

Can this be used with an AC adapter? Thanks!
I tried this DAC for $21.99 from Amazon and was surprised at the sound you get for this inexpensive piece. You can certainly spend more, but for 22 bucks for You Tube audio you might try it out. I use it out in the garage with a Raspberry Pi streamer (Roon endpoint with RoPieee) and it does a yeoman’s job on the cheap.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FEDHHKE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finest kind,
Chris

Fiio D3, 20 bucks on Amazon. Had coax and optical inputs. Used one with a Chromecast Audio with good results.
This ^^^^ x2.

Have two of them,one is currently being used w/some Sony cordless headphones for the TV in the LR and the other is kept around as a spare / test unit.

Would'nt hesitate to buy another,and I'm completely comfortable offering them up as a suggestion too.

JM2¢

Bret P.

I've never heard one myself, but have heard good things about the Topping D30 and it has USB/Coax/Optical. The newest version (3) of the Schiit Modi looks like a good buy as well.

I've never heard one myself, but have heard good things about the Topping D30 and it has USB/Coax/Optical. The newest version (3) of the Schiit Modi looks like a good buy as well.
My guess is, in this price range, the differences between brands and models isn't as significant as it becomes when you start dropping serious coin in the multi-thousand range. Most sub $200 DAC units will probably perform about the same. Then it just becomes a search for something that tickles your ivories. I've heard good things about the Topping and the Schiit. SMSL is probably right up in there in that price range. I certainly have found mine to be quite functional as well as reproducing music properly.

I just bought an FX-Audio DAC-X6 ($58 online). It sounds very good for the price. Not sweet yet detailed like my PS Audio DLIII, but a little more detail than the built-in DAC in the Denon CD player in the bedroom. Nice build quality, and now I am buying a few $2 Op-Amps to roll into it, to see how the sound changes. Fun.

Oh yeah, the DAC-X6 is also a decent headphone amp, if your dad ever uses phones.

I recently picked up a FiiO d3 dac for about $25. Included a optical cable. It works great running my tv though a 2 channel receiver.

Back
Top Bottom