Full Sized Trucks--When Will The "Size War" End?

For all these people using duallie quad cab long bed trucks as their personal drivers I completely don't get.
Where I live, these are the Redneck Cadillacs. Or in other words, it's just macho dick waving, to make up for their genital deficiencies. Also, easier to swill beer while driving and hide it from the cops. (And I'll tell ya, my better half's cousin is a cop, and they love pulling over these aggressive-driving assholes and handing 'em tickets. They drive so poorly that they are a very easy target.)

And WTF is with all these pickups now having obnoxiously loud exhausts? It's some aftermarket thing I guess.

I say it will end when we're all driving M1 tanks, Bradley FV's, MRAP's and V-300 APC's for "short errands around town".
It will never end. America's fascination with large and powerful has become neurotic...
Makes me really missy my old MG convertibles. 75hp was never so much fun to drive..

I want CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) eliminated for cars. And pickup truck sizes return to 1976 sizes, pickup trucks then were plenty big, hauled and towed more, and the right height. These oversized, overheight pickup trucks were designed to get around CAFE rules and GVWR rules. Sanity needs to return. The new trucks are too much vehicle. Let those who want luxury, buy luxury USA land yachts that Detroit can make and sell profitably.

Damned close. My truck was fully loaded when I bought it new in 2016 (I own the company, so I deserve it), and it was pushing $70K then. I think the prices are starting to level-out though. I keep driving by dealerships with trucks out front with big banners advertising anywhere from $9-12K discounts. I think we're getting near the pinnacle.
Best time to make a deal is the next two weeks.

1987, poughkeepsie NY area....a felllow IBMer was talked into buying a 1987 bayliner 2150 and was told the following:

Sure, the 2.5L engine is MORE than enuf power for 6 people and skiiing and
Sure, your Honda accord is MORE than enuf to tow it.

god bless them they found a hitch for it and it did move it....once, until it pulled the car into the hudson at the chelsea ramp....Its not clear which was sold off after that FIRST.

I rented a pick up a year or so ago to pick up some furniture and it was completely ridiculous and not great to drive because it was so massive.

The other trend over the last decade has been the decline of mini-vans, and all these folks who won't drive a mini-van BUT will drive a 7 seat SUV. The car companies love this as they sell the SUV for a premium price, and most of them are city haulers and there is no need for 4 wheel SUV capability.

I rented a pick up a year or so ago to pick up some furniture and it was completely ridiculous and not great to drive because it was so massive.

The other trend over the last decade has been the decline of mini-vans, and all these folks who won't drive a mini-van BUT will drive a 7 seat SUV. The car companies love this as they sell the SUV for a premium price, and most of them are city haulers and there is no need for 4 wheel SUV capability.

Daily driver is a Gen 5 Explorer. 2013. Purty little thing but it is a glorified minivan. Third seat is always folded and i can always put the Christmas tree in the back and lots of golf clubs. Drives great in paved roads and can go off road but not great. It has a low center of Gravity and 12 inches of snow will raise the wheels off the ground if it has the right moisture content. High centered it in my driveway last march backing over a snow pile. The Durango never did that.

Ya miss it how much? I have mine since 76. It's a 70. I call it my Albatross
Never make a British car your daily driver. That's what Japanese cars are for.
But for weekends you can get a few miles of fun before you have to reset the dwell and point gap.

Never make a British car your daily driver. That's what Japanese cars are for.
But for weekends you can get a few miles of fun before you have to reset the dwell and point gap.

I have a lot of miles in these cars. Wished I was a little smarter and bought Corvettes.

Best time to make a deal is the next two weeks.

I know, but I am probably going to hold out for one of the 2020's when they arrive--supposedly within the next 6 months. It is my "company truck"--I own a construction company, so I write it off anyways. Granted, it still ultimately comes out of my pocket in one way, shape, or form, but it's not like I am actually paying for it right out of my personal checking account. Nothing wrong with the current truck, so not real motivated, in that respect--the warranty is just running out, and I run on a 3-year depreciation cycle (for accounting purposes).

The other trend over the last decade has been the decline of mini-vans, and all these folks who won't drive a mini-van BUT will drive a 7 seat SUV.

Minivans were invented for people who's parents were uncool enough to drive station wagons. Nobody wanted to drive what their parents drive. SUV's were invented for the same reason. Mom drove a minivan, I don't want that. I wonder what the next thing is, circle back to the station wagon?

I'd drive a station wagon, but only one with woodgrain.

My last truck before it got totaled by a 16 y.o. was a Ford Ranger crew cab. Bed was not the biggest but there were very few times I could not haul what I needed to. Didn't need the big motor either.

And pickup truck sizes return to 1976 sizes, pickup trucks then were plenty big, hauled and towed more, and the right height..

true story...15 years ago I got from a friend a 1979 F350 SWCC with a 351M and a C6, 2WD. It was in MD and zero rust, including the all important cab mounts.

The tranny had a blown pump seal and would bleed bad when running. BUT! the person who sold it to my friend also sold a badly rusted F150 with the same 351M and C6. powertrain pulled, body junked. so I get this for $350 for a resto project as my friend was selling out at scrap prices - he had 2 acres of cars/trucks.

But alas, I got jammed up so I decided to sell it myself and popped it on ebay. Now recall what stuff looked like in 2004, the gas and D engines mades TONS of power. I put up a 5 day ebay auto auction and described the condition to a T.

5 days later it pops for $1450. Guy drives to MD from upstate NY hauling a trailer to get it - a F350 SWCC is a LONG truck. they are prepared to winch it up as this truck sat for 8 years, no battery, no gas etc. So I said, put in a battery, and take a gas grill tank and put the outlet in the carb throat. They looked at me like I was teaching calculus, but did it. And it worked and it drove up on the trailer, rough yes, but did. and true to form it left a red trail from the front pump.

they buyer was in a real better mood cuz now the target vehicle ran, drove and we then winched up a parts 351 and a known good C6 AND 2 new Ford doors to replace the dented front ones.

Moral of the long story is, this was to haul a horse trailer they have, 4 horseys from event to event, and have 4-6 people ride along. The 1978-79 351M 2bbl made I think 157hp. The C6 was a non locking non OD 3spd and the truck had 3.73 rears and the huge weight rating. But it was enuf to get the job done.

And similarly, the last truck I did restore was a 1981 F100, I6, SROD, 2.50 open 9", 2wd.

As part of the restore It was still a I6, still had the SROD, but I grafted the springs and axle from a 1989 2wd so now it had an 8.8" 3L55 axle on 5400 springs instead of the original 4700 springs. We had a 24ft sunline satellite camper (4000lb on the hoof) and pulled it over the hill and dale to the kelletville campground on the tionesta crick. All 122hp. The tranny was still technically a 3spd + OD, but with the axle change was now a wide ratio 4spd. Did I mention it had 122hp? and I maintained the speed limit (45-55mph).

I fail to see the need to pull 35ft 5th wheels 70mph up the grapevine and less than 5% of the buyers overall, have large work trailers...so ya, its a pee-pee stretching exercise.

ps: yes I split with my friend the profit on the truck

Minivans were invented for people who's parents were uncool enough to drive station wagons. Nobody wanted to drive what their parents drive. SUV's were invented for the same reason. Mom drove a minivan, I don't want that. I wonder what the next thing is, circle back to the station wagon?

I'd drive a station wagon, but only one with woodgrain.

SportWagons need to make a comeback. And how about no AWD. Most have more useful room in mid size than a comparable sized SUV. Luxury wagons also need to make a comeback.

Ford Ranger is back for 2019 with I4 Turbo and 10 spd automatic. It won't last. I want a 3.0 V6 with manual.

I'll 're phrase something that got deleted for political reasons.
My intent was there are plausible conditions which can make fuel prices fluctuate.
The question in the title.
When will the size wars end?
My thought was at some point fuel prices will rise perhaps quickly and steeply (No I don't have a crystal ball).
If that happens, trucks (and cars ) will get smaller and lighter. I hope that's politically sterile enough.

SportWagons need to make a comeback. And how about no AWD. Most have more useful room in mid size than a comparable sized SUV. Luxury wagons also need to make a comeback.
It may not be to everyone's taste and yes I've heard all the bad jokes about the Jaguar X Type, but our '06 Estate (wagon) is AWD (useful in New England winters) and has plenty of space for hauling things.

CIMG2244.JPG

CIMG2243.JPG

Dave

Back
Top Bottom