Full Sized Trucks--When Will The "Size War" End?

I love me a powerful AWD wagon.

Though the CTS-V and Mercedes E55 AMG wagons are about as great as wagons get. :D

If I could find a decent vintage wagon I'd make a daily driver out of it, this thread is making me miss my old Malibu wagon from 20 years ago. woody.jpg woody2.jpg

Today on dealers website where I bought my F-150, they had their first 2019 Ranger. It had a $43000 sticker. It was fairly well equipped XLT model. The truck may be smaller but the price is not.

My thought was at some point fuel prices will rise perhaps quickly and steeply (No I don't have a crystal ball).
If that happens, trucks (and cars ) will get smaller and lighter. I hope that's politically sterile enough.

I think new methods of extraction have caused a fundamental change in the oil market and prices will stay low for quite some time, possibly for as long as people will (or still) use oil.

Minivans were invented for people who's parents were uncool enough to drive station wagons. Nobody wanted to drive what their parents drive. SUV's were invented for the same reason. Mom drove a minivan, I don't want that. I wonder what the next thing is, circle back to the station wagon?

I think SUVs <are> station wagons.

I agree, Drove a Mazda6 SportWagon for 10 years. Great Car! When it came time for a replacement, couldn't find anything that I considered as good or better for a reasonable price. Mazda decided not to import their next gen 6 wagon to the USA, as they felt the market here is for SUVs.

Buick is trying with the Regal TourX wagon. Looks like a sweet wagon, but appears to be struggling to find customers. Read that you can find them for $10,000 off MSRP.

https://www.buick.com/crossovers/regal-tourx-luxury-wagon

SportWagons need to make a comeback.

You guys crack me up. BIG trucks and SUVs loaded down with luxuries sell - plain and simple. Guys of all dick sizes enjoy a big truck and for various reasons.

I think SUVs <are> station wagons.

Station wagons that sit higher, yes. Don't tell SUV owners they are driving grammy's station wagon though.

Personally I'd really love one of these

1987_AMC_Eagle_wagon_burgundy-woodgrain_NJ.jpg

Station wagon, woodgrain, 4x4, and weird all in one package.

You guys crack me up. BIG trucks and SUVs loaded down with luxuries sell - plain and simple. Guys of all dick sizes enjoy a big truck and for various reasons.

Yes they do sell. And the new owner is usually laid away for a seven or eight year loan. OUCH!!!

Just an observation here be it right or wrong. Trucks really started getting bigger when the Japanese auto makers finally started making full sized trucks, then the US makers thought, we can't have this, we need a bigger truck than the imports, and it's been going on for quite a few years now. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :p

And the new owner is usually laid away for a seven or eight year loan. OUCH!!!

This is the truly scary part of the rapid rebound in sales of gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs. The minute that fuel prices dropped, EVERYONE ran out and immediately bought a huge gas-guzzler. In the event that fuel prices do rise to all-new highs, all these poor suckers are still going to be paying on a vehicle that they can't afford to drive, and there is no real way out, because re-sale and trade-in values of those vehicles will take a serious hit, as well.

Trucks really started getting bigger when the Japanese auto makers finally started making full sized trucks, then the US makers thought, we can't have this, we need a bigger truck than the imports

Interesting observation, and I think you might be onto something, because chronologically, it does seem to bear out.

The small Taco ended 2004, the S10 I think was 03. The Ranger held on until 2011 (had to look that up, I thought it was 2005 or so). Nissan trucks got big about the mid 2000s too.

This huge truck phase we're going through now doesn't really bother me. One thing that does bug me however is the SUV craze that's been going on for a while. I could end up with one in my driveway though, because 25 years ago I said I'd never own a wagon and there's a picture in this thread of my wagon (which I really liked). A few years later I said I'd never own a minivan and after my FIL passed my MIL gave us their high milage 99 Chevy Venture minivan which was a great all around vehicle for my work (tile installer) and a family of 4. I still have the van with many many miles on it now but it got parked after we bought our 01 Silverado, so I'll never say never when it comes to vehicles. Believe it or not I've actually owned a couple of Fords in my lifetime but I don't see that ever happening again after those two POS's. ;)

Big? It's all relative...
While this of course isn't a production model, I figured it had to make an appearance in this thread somewhere. The tires are from and oil rig transporter!

t2t23-min.jpg

Minivans were invented for people who's parents were uncool enough to drive station wagons. Nobody wanted to drive what their parents drive. SUV's were invented for the same reason. Mom drove a minivan, I don't want that. I wonder what the next thing is, circle back to the station wagon?

I'd drive a station wagon, but only one with woodgrain.

.. you can't find a station wagon but you can by a 4 door hatchback..... still not as big in the back end as a big old station wagon though.

Back
Top Bottom