The Mid-Century/Danish thread

Who has a MCM home? I have to admit, I do not have very much MCM furnishings.

Julius Shulman photograph, scan from Julius Shulman: Modernism Rediscovered by Pierluigi Serraino.

Fair use claimed, it's my home in 1958.

Y98JkGE.jpg

And in 2018...

agrVwqu.jpg

Last edited:
I love this house!

Julius Shulman photograph, scan from Julius Shulman: Modernism Rediscovered by Pierluigi Serraino.

Y98JkGE.jpg

And in 2018...

agrVwqu.jpg

Y98JkGE.jpg

And in 2018...

agrVwqu.jpg

Y98JkGE.jpg

And in 2018...

agrVwqu.jpg

I changed the locale of the ship to the dining room where I had a bigger wall for it. It will look better with the little ships once the Christmas tree comes down. And it is a bit off center because I had to use the studs in the wall to hang it....the sucker is really heavy. The angle of the pic makes it look like the ship is way far left when it is just a few inches off center.

20181213_172954.jpg

Last edited:
I am heart broken. I was antiques window shopping in the last week and found a really nice side table that looks nice. Ignore the blue porcelain crap on it :)
IMG_0131.JPG

Very basic design, no fancy stuff, no fancy patterns.

IMG_0130.JPG

The only thing is, it's not for sale :-( The shop owner just mentioned that the people that sell the blue set of porcelain use it for staging and I wasn't the first who ask for a price :)
No information given about the manufacturer, I checked for labels but nothing. Hope maybe somebody here can at least give me a hint who made it.

IMG_0142.JPG

Very pretty table!! Curious about who made it too.
FWIW, that brand/style of porcelain seems to be very 'desirable' in the resale/mcm shops around here - weird, b/c it was really cheap stuff originally.
I still have a few pieces of it - heavy, almost clumsily made, and breaks really easily.

Well, the comment of the shop owner about the table was that it would make a much better sales item than the porcelain stuff :)

I am heart broken. I was antiques window shopping in the last week and found a really nice side table that looks nice. Ignore the blue porcelain crap on it :)
View attachment 1369252

Very basic design, no fancy stuff, no fancy patterns.

View attachment 1369253

The only thing is, it's not for sale :-( The shop owner just mentioned that the people that sell the blue set of porcelain use it for staging and I wasn't the first who ask for a price :)
No information given about the manufacturer, I checked for labels but nothing. Hope maybe somebody here can at least give me a hint who made it.

View attachment 1369255

Curiosity got the best of me because I like molded/bent plywood furniture so I had a quick search around the net. I did manage to find one, but they didn't know the maker either. It sold for $99 in Netherlands a few years ago:

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/8205877-maker-unknown-bent-wood-plywood-triangular-table

That's a nice looking table. I'd go back to the antique shop and show them the listing, and see if I couldn't work out a purchase based on that price. ;)

Pics from that listing.

94fffaf4-8f18-11e6-8499-d85f71d1498b.jpg

8f8a0de4-8f18-11e6-860f-82424bad3828.jpg

88490170-8f18-11e6-9b56-0594dcd4b1fb.jpg

Yeah, would love to do that but the table is not for sale at all :-( They do consignment and the seller is not selling the table. Maybe if it’s still there in a month I will try my luck again. Too bad.

I’m actually thinking about building one similar to this. There is a technique out that would allow to bend wood in such large radius.

Yeah, would love to do that but the table is not for sale at all :-( They do consignment and the seller is not selling the table. Maybe if it’s still there in a month I will try my luck again. Too bad.

I’m actually thinking about building one similar to this. There is a technique out that would allow to bend wood in such large radius.

Have you studied up any on the process of wood bending? There's plenty of info out on the net.

I looked into it a while back because I wanted to make bent legs to replace the rusting chrome legs on some bent ply tables I have in the livingroom. Turns out steaming wood is the "easiest" way - which does not look all that easy without proper equipment.

But, to do that table, you could almost do your own plywood by selecting the thinnest (almost veneer) sheets of wood you can find, and sandwiching wet layers in a mold with hide glue in-between each layer. <- easier imagined than written. LOL Probably a bit excessive process for just one table though.

I'm not sure how well steam bending would work for me without having a steamer chamber for that. Also the bending equipment requires a lot clamps and kind like a jig that has the shape of the final bend.
What I found is a technique that makes cuts on the inside of the bend that leave only thin layer at the bend outside left and folds that way. Support is via bisquets in perpendicular slots. Once I settled own in my new house here I will look into it.
In the meanwhile, I found some similar looking chairs online that had a sticker of the mfg, the name is Swedese. They are a Swedish furniture maker, not sure if still in business but they had a line of chairs that were bend like this little table. I will keep my eyes open for that.

I'm not sure how well steam bending would work for me without having a steamer chamber for that. Also the bending equipment requires a lot clamps and kind like a jig that has the shape of the final bend.
What I found is a technique that makes cuts on the inside of the bend that leave only thin layer at the bend outside left and folds that way. Support is via bisquets in perpendicular slots. Once I settled own in my new house here I will look into it.
In the meanwhile, I found some similar looking chairs online that had a sticker of the mfg, the name is Swedese. They are a Swedish furniture maker, not sure if still in business but they had a line of chairs that were bend like this little table. I will keep my eyes open for that.
Steam bending is generally for solid wood. Bent lamination with 2 piece forms and clamps uses plys. I’ve used both extensively in chair making. For this table bent lamination over a form using a vacuum bag would be the way to go. It’s the best way to get even clamping force across a large curved area.
3C082AFC-0B7D-46DB-BB8D-FCF2F8607E43.jpeg

Last edited:
I also finally found the Interpur flatware my parents had in the 60s when I was growing up.

EDIT, the brand and name are Interpur Royal Elegance.

20190129_160257.jpg

Last edited:
Along the theme, an interesting read:
Florence Knoll Bassett 1917-2019 - In memoriam

Florence Knoll Bassett, the female pioneer of midcentury modern American design, died aged 101. She passed away on 25 January in Coral Gables, Florida.

The creative force behind one of the most influential design brands of the 20th century was born in 1917 and grew up in Michigan as an orphan from the age of 12. It was an early friendship with Finnish architects, Eliel and Eero Saarinen and a firm interest in architecture from a young age that led her to enrol at Cranbrook Academy of Art where her most important design education – from the likes of Harry Bertoia took place.

https://www.wallpaper.com/design/florence-knoll-obituary?

Back
Top Bottom