Sondra Locke died on Nov 3.

NAD80

The Actress died on Nov 3. Breast and bone cancer is the cause of death. Totally enjoyed her in the Eastwood films she made with him. The Gauntlet and Every Way but Loose, I liked the best. It's been 40 days and only now announced.

The Actress died on Nov 3. Breast and bone cancer is the cause of death. Totally enjoyed her in the Eastwood films she made with him. The Gauntlet and Every Way but Loose, I liked the best. It's been 40 days and only now announced.

Wow, I wonder why the announcement took so long !!
That`s sad, and this is the first I have heard about this !

Like you NAD80, I enjoyed her in all the Clint Eastwood movies too.
RIP Sondra.

Don't forget her big screen debut, for which young (24-yo) Sondra Locke received an Oscar nomination (Best Supporting Actress), as the character "Mick Kelly" in the film The Heart Is A Lonley Hunter (Miller, 1968), baed on the novel of the same name, published in 1940, and written by American author Carson McCullers.

With respect to her work @ Malpaso / Eastwood films, I'd say her best role, overall, was as "Antoinette Lily" in the film Bronco Billy (1980). But this is FAR from my favorite Eastwood film in which Locke appeared. That honor goes to but one, what is also perhaps among the 2-3 best-ever American-made Westerns: The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976). Locke's performance in TOJW, though important and even "pivotal" vis-a-vis the main character, i.e., "Josey Wales", it is rather a subdued performance owing to the story and Clint's management, as director, of the character.

Don't forget her big screen debut, for which young (24-yo) Sondra Locke received an Oscar nomination (Best Supporting Actress), as the character "Mick Kelly" in the film The Heart Is A Lonley Hunter (Miller, 1968), baed on the novel of the same name, published in 1940, and written by American author Carson McCullers.

Thanks for the info. Mystic.

Though I have all of the CE`s movies, I can`t seem to remember the name of the one where Sondra(a canvas painter) hunts down all her sister and her attacker`s/rapist`s and terminates each one in some small coastal town in Cal.
Clint figures out it`s her doing all the killing`s in the small town, and lets her go.
I really like that movie as well.

Sorry, I`m too lazy to get up from the computer and dig up the DVD in my collection of well over a 1000 DVDs. :rolleyes:

@Bill Ferris For the record--the movie was Sudden Impact--1983. I can't believe it took this long for an announcement, and I'd have thought I'd have seen it anyways, but apparently I missed it. Another great talent gone :(

Still remember the first time I ever seen her on screen … "Every Which Way But Loose" 1978 .. brings back the memories of my youth.

RIP

RIP Sondra Locke. Had no idea she was ill. As far as her role in most Eastwood movies, I always thought she was a poor casting choice with The Outlaw Josey Wales being the exception. A group of us were just commenting on that matter last weekend when Every Which Way But Loose came on. I saw Bronco Billy in the theater as a child and remember thinking it wasn't what I really was expecting. Only 74. RIP.

Just read this in the Daily Mail, her passing was announced by her former husband. That's a tough way to go. RIP.

Liked the movies with Clint, but not her acting. Still, it's very sad news, seems like it's every couple of days a celebrity from my youth passes, the writing is on the wall.

Her career went into the ditch when she filed her Palimony lawsuit against Eastwood.

Last edited:
Her career went into the ditch when she filed her Palimony lawsuit against Easwood.
Rumour was Clint got her blackballed when she demanded fair balance for everything she did when they were a long term couple.
I wasn't there to know, of course, and while I do enjoy a lot of his westerns, it does seem possible.
RIP Sondra.

Back
Top Bottom