QRX Restore....anyone used them before?

Link to their site...

http://www.qrxrestore.com/

They look to be a vintage audio repair shop specializing in Sansui product from the 70s.

Looking for opinions, reviews.

Anyone?
The Creator of the business recently passed away, but his sons, whom he mentored are carrying the business on in the spirit in which it was set up.
Jim was a regular in this forum was a great guy and set up an excellent business doing high quality work.

I would not hesitate to use them.

Last winter I got a unrestored Au 9500 from a guy here at Barter Town on the east coast with the intention of having it restored. After talking to Jim on the phone at Vintage Audio Restorations he agreed that I could have it shipped directly to him as I would be in Arizona for the winter. While I was wintering in Arizona I read on their website that Jim had past away.
On my way home to Oregon I made arrangements to pick up my amp.
When I got there I met Jim's son and Seth who is one of the technitions and the one that did most of the work on my amp. He is a great guy and we had a nice visit. I was sorry that I never had the chance to meet Jim in person.
I would recommend them, and my AU 9500 is working and sounding fabulous

I would absolutely use QRX Restore over the past 7 years I have had six sets recapped by Jim and his son and crew. Sorry to hear of Jim’s passing my he Rest In Peace. Ken

Jim and is sons worked wonders with my AU11000 after a couple of other respected techs closer to me in Philadelphia said it was irreparable. It was in pretty bad shape from having been dropped (or so we assumed), now it looks nearly new and sounds incredible. I'd not hesitate to work with his sons.

Jim also was one of the best at repairing vintage Kenwood Hybrid (solid state radios with tube finals) Ham Radios under his Hybridrestore.com site. His son's have kept the "hard to find" Kenwood parts accessible but they no longer do the repair of the Kenwood Hybrid radios.

Got my 9090db back from QRX Restore.................aka Vintage Stereos.

I asked for a full restoration, dolby bypass, diff mod, new output transistors.

I get the impression that Seth does most of the work. He is the only guy there full time. He did all the work on my receiver.

The good...I am very happy with the way my 9090db performs. Looking over the receiver, it is clear that Seth is skilled with a soldering iron. Solder joints look very good. His repairs are well executed.

The bad....routing of the wires is a bit sloppy. Rather than putting the wires back in the factory wire retainer clips to keep them held down securely and out of the way of danger, the wires were just hanging around wherever. Screws that hold certain areas of the receiver together were not tightened at all. The screws for the bottom were not tight and on top of that not straight. They were threaded in at an angle. Screws that hold one the boards in place were loose and one of the screws was not installed at all.

They charge extra for things that I think should be included. A full restoration costing as much as they charge ought to include a new relay and trim pots. I was charged extra for those things and I willingly paid. But...

Overall, I am happy with the work done. I am happy with the outcome after I gave it a look over and tidied things up a little. Much care went into the soldering, recapping etc. and that same level of care should go into final assembly and sadly, in my case little care went into final assembly. So I did the "final assembly" part it myself and now things are well.

If I were to do it over again I would still go to qrx restore. Largely because I wanted things done that I could not do myself ie. the dolby bypass and diff mod.

Do you loose the tape inputs with the Dolby bypass or can you still connect a tape deck with both playback and record?

- Pete

Do you loose the tape inputs with the Dolby bypass or can you still connect a tape deck with both playback and record?

- Pete
All I have used so far is a CD player at the AUX-IN.

I could put a signal generator to the tape 1 then hook up a scope to tape out to confirm functionality there.

I will report back.

I will add that I can have the dolby switch in any position and nothing changes. It was said to me that their dolby bypass is really just a pair of "jumper wires" routing signal around the dolby board and I have confirmed that when I had the receiver apart for a look over. I saw the "jumper wires".

I don't agree with the Dolby bypass option, I'd rather just fix it and have it working...Its not that difficult to fix....I am about to do one on a QRX9001, Ive done two of them before, I am not entirely sure what all the fuss is about....

I don't agree with the Dolby bypass option, I'd rather just fix it and have it working...Its not that difficult to fix....I am about to do one on a QRX9001, Ive done two of them before, I am not entirely sure what all the fuss is about....
It's about eliminating a weak link, a useless weak link, in an otherwise great receiver. Seems logical to me.

Meh, except for the added cost of doing a proper rework of the Dolby selector board and cleaning the rotary switch (admittedly a laborious process that costs a few bucks) I'd still prefer to maintain the original functionality, even if it obsolete. I guess I can't fault someone for saving the added cost of doing so, however. At least the option for doing either exists.

It's about eliminating a weak link, a useless weak link, in an otherwise great receiver. Seems logical to me.
Everyone has different views, but am one of those people that likes to keep the original functionality with my units. Its not a useless weak link, if you wanted to you could use the Dolby function, but many folk simply don't use or need the technology such as yourself.
That function survived as well as any other weak link in those receivers for all those years...
Its not as bigger job or pain as people make out to be honest. Dirty function switches, tape monitor switches etc etc are just as likely if not more likely to cause just as many issues as the Dolby board.
But I get it, you will never use it, dont want it, just want the unit to be reliable, fair enough...

The Creator of the business recently passed away, but his sons, whom he mentored are carrying the business on in the spirit in which it was set up.
Jim was a regular in this forum was a great guy and set up an excellent business doing high quality work.

I would not hesitate to use them.
Jim passed away? Wow. He just did 4 of my units last year. Sorry to hear that.

Indeed. It was here where i first learned of him 12 years ago when Quad caught my fancy. He helped me a lot over the subsequent years. He is close enough to me, i finally was able to drop my units off and pick up in person.
I had been meaning to ask him for the directions for adjusting the diff mod stuff and never got round to it.
While i did give up on the quad format itself for SACD and DVD-AUDIO, the 9001 is still a favorite. Ive got some cd-4 lp's ripped to 4 channel cds and can now play them with no demodulator...
A great loss indeed.

Was going to, but their prices (a grand to restore any QRX model + $115 for LED's ?) were/are astronomical, plus my cost of shipping a 50lb box back and forth to Eugene, OR., ultimately closed the deal for me.

Was going to, but their prices (a grand to restore any QRX model + $115 for LED's ?) were/are astronomical, plus my cost of shipping a 50lb box back and forth to Eugene, OR., ultimately closed the deal for me.
You do realise how much work is in restoring a QRX right?
I restore quite a few QRX receivers and they are the most fiddly, time consuming jobs, and it needs to be done right to ensure reliable operation. $1000US is cheap!!
My tech rate is $50US per hours, there is at least 20hrs in a QRX restoration, then the parts, then hopefully no issues which there often is.......
You are basically getting the caps for free....

Back
Top Bottom