Infinitesimal restoration

musicman95

I bought a pair of Infinitesimal 0.2s a while back that were in not so great shape. I finally got around to taking them apart and of course one of the Watkins woofers isn't measuring right. The 2.5 ohm coil is reading something like 16 ohms. I stuck a 9v battery to the terminals and it started buzzing real bad. I found one of the wires soldered near the voice coil (the ones on top of the woofer and covered in some glue) was loose and I could slide it in and out of the cone. I called Millersound and Bill said that this was something any speaker tech could fix, I was thinking of just doing this myself. Anyone have any experience with this? I'd like to not melt a hole in the cone if I can help it. :thumbsup:
Also whoever had it before me stripped out the threads for every single screw hole! :mad:

Attachments

• 20181211_133046.jpg
    20181211_133046.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 20181211_133105.jpg
    20181211_133105.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 56
I don't think I can use those nuts because the cabinet is metal. I was thinking I'd have to drill and tap them.

Sounds like the dust cap MIGHT need to be removed to do the repair.
Myself, I'd need some big lighted magnifier thingie (dealing with very fine wire here I think), a better solder iron, and sure hands to even think about trying it. I totally understand not wanting to burn a hole in the cone.
I've seen where some people have been able to unwind a winding or two of the VC wire to give them enough wire length to do the repair, or just use some comparable wire.
Mr. LeGall is probably right that a competent speaker repair place could do it if you choose not too.

FYI, that little woofer is unobtainium so it may be worth sending to Millersound. They fixed my 0.1’s. The screw holes are fragile in those and stripped out screws are common. Maybe some jpweld epoxy putty and drill a new hole through it. Wrap the screws in tin foil..., sorry, nothing but half assed ways to fix that...

He (Millersound) fixed my 0.2's.
Could be he's really busy and believes any competent speaker repair shop could fix them.
He treated my surrounds with something, and they are still shiny and bright 2 years later.
Brake fluid (NON silicone) was the product. That was confirmed by Bill. I've tried two different non silicone brake fluids and neither had the lustre last longer than a few days.
I have no doubt if he uses it on customers items it has been tested and proven safe.
Just wish I knew exactly what it was.

Last edited:
FYI, that little woofer is unobtainium so it may be worth sending to Millersound. They fixed my 0.1’s. The screw holes are fragile in those and stripped out screws are common. Maybe some jpweld epoxy putty and drill a new hole through it. Wrap the screws in tin foil..., sorry, nothing but half assed ways to fix that...
Helicoils are available in small sizes. I think it is a viable option but I haven’t tried this repair.

They (Watkins) were still doing them as of couple years ago.
I contacted them when mine were in need of repair.

Back
Top Bottom